Minelab GPX5000 vs GPX4500

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are quite a few other things and not just Fine/Gold that makes the 5000 slightly improved over the 4500, like an upgraded Enhance timing, smaller increments in gain settings and the like. That being said though a lot of the detectorists here with 4500's don't do any worse than people with 5000's. The 4500 is a great detector, either will certainly do the job.

Fine/Gold will punch a little deeper than Enhance in some types of ground but not a huge amount.

So Enhance is slightly better also
That's 2 improvements then

Apart from finer adjustments in Rx and Stabilizer is there possibly anything else like internal filtering etc ??

I have had both at the moment I am using a new 4500 with EVO coils and I would not go back to a 5000 for a extra $1000. If you think about it the 45s have been around for a long time then a 5 or 6 year brake with the 5000 ,any updates to either detector has been incorporated in the latest release of the 4500 that makes it an improvement over the early 45s just my opinion regards john :)

The 5's handle hot ground a little better. On certain gold you won't notice much of a difference between Fine Gold and Enhance, but on other bits there will be a marked difference. Did some testing while in Wedderburn recently and Fine Gold had 2 inches improvement over Enhance on a 3" brass pipe section. This was using the new 17x13 spoke Evo. Also tried the 14" Elite on a 4500 and the 5000, F.G., 17x13 combo was superior.

If this will be your primary machine then yes I think the 5000 is worth the bit extra.

Hi I understand this has probably been discussed before but what everyone thoughts on which detector to buy. Instead of buying the current offer GPX4500 would i be better off buying a secondhand GPX5000. Pros for the 4500 i can see are longer warranty, cons are the fine gold timmings, which only leaves the price of the GPX5000 as a con. Thanks for your help centralvic

Thanks for the replays, not sure what I will do, I'm slowly finding my way around the forums, thanks Centralvic

Mate the 45 is good it will find gold no worries but the 5000 is better , seen the 45 miss gold the 5000 grabs depending on the make up of the gold , specie ,prickly . I like both machines but personally would choose the 5000

Our last trip in 2015 there were 2 X 4500's and a 5000.
We hit a little patch the 4500's topped the tally but it came down to who walked where. Believe either machine would have found the gold.
However IMHO overall the 5K has a definite edge on the sub grammers.

5000 LH of pic 21 bits.
4500 Centre 15 bits (Most weight)
4500 RH 13 bits

Total 42 grams.

In short if I already had an SDC I'd buy the 4500 if no other detector I'd buy the 5000 Just my findings for what little it's worth :D

Agree with Bogger re the SDC and 45 met a fellow detector operator in WA who had this set up. But with no SDC I would go for a second hand 5000, bearing in mind that you may also pick up a couple of coils thrown in as well, saving well over $1,000. Which if you purchase a new unit unless you can do a deal you will be up for the extra cash sometime in the future.

Been chasing a second-hand 5000 seem to be hard to come buy, I think its the way to go, although the with the fake detectors around it makes me a bit worried I buy a dudd

centralvic said:
Been chasing a second-hand 5000 seem to be hard to come buy, I think its the way to go, although the with the fake detectors around it makes me a bit worried I buy a dudd

There are a lot of used genuine 5000's on the market at the moment. Decent prices, too

If your unsure of anything just ask on here - someone will help.
Best bet though is to get as much detail as possible & check it all with Minelab.
There are some horror stories with second hand purchases but there are a lot of good ones too. I've never purchased a new Minelab yet, all mine have been pre-loved :lol:
& no issues yet. Just check it out thoroughly - a legitimate seller won't mind & should be happy to answer any questions + provide any details.

Latest posts