Minelab GPX5000 vs GPX4500

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello All.

would it be a good buy if I decided to own 5000. After looking through the specs of the 4500 and 5000 I found little difference.

Can someone advise the practical benefits of the additional bolts and whistles of 5000 against 4500. Do they worth it?

I used 4500 and 3500 in past and can say that my oldie 3500 was not doing bad comparing to 4500.

Cheers

There isn't really all that much difference between a 4500 and a 5000. If you have the money get a 5000 if not a 4500 will find just as much gold, it just doesn't have some of the new timings.

DD

Hi I am about to buy a minelab gpx5000 but am now not sure . I have spoken to a few people and they have said the 5000 is no better then the 4500. From what I am lead to believe the 5000 is better at detecting fine gold . Can anyone give me some advice as to how much better the 5000 is to the 4500 if at all Thanks

That what I thought. 4500 ordered. Got second hand which is only option now. thank you. ;)

Met a number of pro-propectors in WA last year using 5000's, their responses to the same question from me were all similar to what you've heard...not a huge difference between the machines, 5000 finds smaller gold deeper. They generally counciled me to stick with the 4500. Fact is, the 5000 is the latest model, it is better. It's a question of what you're prepared to pay. For mine, I sold my 4500 when we left WA last year and I wish I had it back.

If you decide to go for a 4500 my advice is to only buy from a Minelab dealer, or check the serial numbers with Minelab before you buy private to ensure you haven't stumbled onto a counterfeit unit.

Hi Rusty Thanks for your info. I am hearing more and more about people who say their 4500 was actually just as good as the 5000 if not better

Once you get to know a 5 it is the better machine. Not just on tiny stuff but on gold up to 1/2 oz. Above that size I have not seen any improvement but from that size down, yes. Had a 45, loved it, got a 5, like it even more. Much better on specie gold too.

the difference between the 45 and 5 is the GB is better, quieter and smoother, fine gold setting, enhance is better.
AP

1964kombi said:
Hi I am about to buy a minelab gpx5000 but am now not sure . I have spoken to a few people and they have said the 5000 is no better then the 4500. From what I am lead to believe the 5000 is better at detecting fine gold . Can anyone give me some advice as to how much better the 5000 is to the 4500 if at all Thanks
The newer detector is going to be better than the last or they would not have brought it out. once you get using the 5000 they are a great detector, after I sold my 45 and brought the 5 I was thinking have I done the right thing. in 2 weeks time I have paid for half the detector already.
AP

I'll be moving to Moranbah in the new year with work, so I'll be a regular at Claremont starting next year.
Just got to buy a detector to play with.
What's the best setup for the ground up there?
Was thinking maybe a 4500 or 5000
What coils best to match?

Would it be benificial in investing in mammoth coils like these lol(would certinatly help cover more ground and less energy spent swinging):

goldscorpion.jpg

Hi Guys,

I'm new to gold detecting but my wife and I are very serious about this new long term hobby.

Im just starting out and have been researching for around 4 weeks we have a small farm near Kyneton Victoria and for starters most of my detecting will be around this area.

I've bought a White GMT and look forward to getting started on Wednesday.

My wife and I will definitely enjoy the next few week as we learn all the does and don't; i really appreciate these forums which have highlight the necessary setting ( for then GMT ) due to the high mineralization in this areas soil.

I have the opportunity to by a good second hand GPX 4500 for around ($3500) but I'm not sure if the different between the 4500 and the 5000 is large enough for me to wait and get the 5000. ( I've already verified that its an original GPX with Mine labs plus its off a long term friend as well).

I can see my self detecting about 3 - 4 days a month to start with so its not s full time interest at this stage.
(Have to Work : :mad: )

My logic is that my wife will use the GMT after we have it tamed and I use the GPX.

Any advice ??

Thanks

Zakman

For the amount of use it will be given I would be getting the 4500, that's a good price. There isnt much difference between the two machines.

DD

Thanks. Diggerdude.

I realize now that I should have posted this under then Minelab forum section.
ZAK

P.s
I would still like to hear more about the comparisons between the two. Its confusing and obviously those who use these detector are the experts.

The main difference between the two is a few different timings. These enable the 5000 to run slightly quieter.

DD

Ok thanks well that isn't much.
For the area which I'm in Kyneton
what would be a sensible coil
the 4500 it has an 11 inch DD
and an 11 inch mono coil.
At this stage I have no idea what the difference is.
So which is the best ? For my area.

Thanks

DD
I've booked for a days training next week
on the GMT so that's should get us moving
and I will ask the Guy to run me through the GPX4500
Set up (have to save a bit more to get that one if it's only the timing and noise )
Cool.

Zak

Zak - both coils are fine for the 4500. To get a better understanding, do some google searches to get the technical nitty gritty but the differences boil down to wiring, sensitivity, soil penetration patterns, to name a few. The DDs are designed for highly mineralised ground. The monos initially were poorer on mineralised ground but the GPX/SETA systems (which is the 4500/5000) have made life a lot easier with the monos. On the 4500 you can run an item called iron reject which is a discriminator - you cant do this with the monos. That means you can discount iron etc in the ground. Most experienced operators don't use it but for people starting out I would recommend it.

Which coil is better? This all depends on the soil type, ground cover and what you are after. If you do a search on the minelab site, find the 4500 manual and it will explain different coils (pages 90 - 91) and has a snazzy picture on what coil penetration looks like. I have found that when I started on the 4500, I used the factory pre-sets (FPs) for a while and then tinkered with the settings from there. In my opinion, the FPs are good and I have found some good gold with them. I love my 4500 and use both types of coils. The training day will see you right but you will need to learn about the control setup - none of us can teach you that.

Hi Loamer , Thank very much thats great advice, I will check the manual out online as you suggest and the FP's are definitely for me .

Many years ago I remember hearing that the soil around our place; Kyneton Fryerstown was very high in mineralization so I expect the GMT will struggle a bit (but I have the tips off these forums to guide me and the GPX well we will start slow with the DD coli then.

Thank again.

Good hunting :)

Zak

One more question I was wondering if there are experienced members who are willing to run some training (paid of course) for my sort of equipment; GMT and future GPX 4500 around my area. Anytime between the 2nd to the 14th of Oct.

As Im on leave to help take-care of my elderly mother 90 yrs and going strong.

If so how do I contact these people I think after I post 10 messages I can chat through then forums??

I have one contact who in near Castlemaine and I will be calling him to setting up a time but if that doesn't work out, I like a back up as time is short.

Thanks
ZAK

Zak - and good hunting to you too. Seriously - the FPs work otherwise Minelab would not do them. They want you to be successful, find gold then upgrade :)
With the FPs, the manual has them listed. Run these in conjunction with the coil type and you can't go wrong. Eventually you will turn the tracking off and not use the discriminator - why? because you will learn the sounds and sneeky little tricks when its running flat out. Trust me, these tricks add about 1% but on new ground with bigger coils they can make a difference. For starting out - use the FPs and work form there. The great thing is you can't stuff up the FPs, the 4500 can be reset in the field in about 5 seconds (just hold the power up switch down for too long and you will get the idea). It really is easy to use, its just trying to comprehend the front panel switches with the backpanel. FPs take all the worry out and with the mono or dd you will be as good as a well seasoned grumpy old fart like me with a tweeked and bells and whistles 4500. I stick mainly to new ground now but I am constantly amazed as to what the 4500/5000 find on what is flogged (quote unquote) ground. I have been back over a lot of my old haunts and amazed as to what I have picked up. Some of our other members may have also observed that on older ground these 4500/5000 seem to excel at getting 1- 3 grammers at quite good depth with the 11" mono/DD. I know of some folk who stick to old mullock heaps and the close ground and do very well. They may ping a lot of little stuff but it all adds up at the end of the day. Good luck mate - I can assure you that when you are strolling along with a quiet machine you will be in heaven. (I bet you wave your pick at the coil from time to time to see if it is actually working!!)

Latest posts