Minelab GPX5000 vs GPX4500

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
haha. Thanks Loamer thats great.

Yes I cant wait to start tomorrow at 10 am.

Hve to wait till next pay cheque for the GPX 4500 but Im really glad I found these forums and you Guys. (It feel like Im in a new family:)

Chat soon.

ZAK

Ps. Thats a real picture In a place called Chiang Mia, Thailand the "Tiger kingdom" google it)

Just wondering out of the 2 detectors mentioned which
One would you buy?

I am thinking of upgrading and the time is now right
To pick up either one at a good price.

Thanks

I'd be happy with either. Bought the 4500 because it was cheap enough at the time and I didn't think it'd be worth the extra $$$$ for a couple tweaks on the 5000. That was back then though and the price gap has narrowed significantly. Considering how cheap the 5000 can be had now I'd be going that option if I were in the market again..

G'day Wolfau,

I owned a 4500 brand new and upgraded to a 5000 when it was released what I can tell you is that yes the 5000 is quieter then the 4500 and it obviosly has one extra timing "fine gold" but is it worth the extra $2000??? If your a weekend warrior and maybe do a trip to W.A once a year my money would be on a 4500, if I'm a professional full time prospector and every nugget I find big or small was to put food on the table then I want the best on the market. 4500's are going for just over 3k if you keep your eye out and I don't think you will be disappointed and then put the other $2000 towards a camper trailer well that's my opinion anyway. Fantastic buyers market at the moment and good luck on your purchase.

cheers,
James.

Thanks for the replies.

I just changed vehicles from a ute to a 4x4.

Gonna sleep in that for the added security.

I hired a 4500 2 years ago and could not
Believe how quiet it was. Was told the 4500
Was better on the deeper smaller chunky
Gold. Not sure though.

The 5000 does have a few refinements over the 4500 but some people really prefer the 4500 and find plenty with them. Both great detectors.

There are so many bargains around now, I'd be looking for the best package deal. See if you can get one with an extra battery, a good selection of coils, and any other accessories that interest you, and of course condition. I wouldn't be too concerned whether it's a 4500 or 5000. Both units are still finding plenty of gold.

PhaseTech said:
There are so many bargains around now, I'd be looking for the best package deal. See if you can get one with an extra battery, a good selection of coils, and any other accessories that interest you, and of course condition. I wouldn't be too concerned whether it's a 4500 or 5000. Both units are still finding plenty of gold.

Thanks Nenad.

I own ismaels little ripper battery system which
Is light weight and stays on the detector with a
Booster and wireless headphone adapter.
That will be upgraded For the GPX shortly.

Plenty of gold will still be found with older machines.

Just wish one would come out with the vlf zap zap
Type target signal and on screen gold probability
Type of Id.

I also own 14" round nugget finder and the super
Sensitive 8" detech coil and a new minelab mono
11" coil.

Looks like you only need a box and shaft ;)

I've been wanting to try that 8" detech against the commander.

PhaseTech said:
Looks like you only need a box and shaft ;)

I've been wanting to try that 8" detech against the commander.

I owned the commander just to compare with
the detech with The 3500 and I ended up keeping
the detech.

Next time your in Vic contact peter who is the
Distributor who is near Talbot. He may let you test
One.

From my experience, if your going to the Eastern GF of W.A. then the 4500 without a doubt. The 5000 has issues with the laterites over there. Going East, then the 5000 with its fine timings is awesome on specimen gold of which there is plenty still to be had.

Wolfau I have had 3 4500 and a 5000 at the moment I am using the last of the 4500s I do not think I would go back to a 5000 at this stage I just enjoy the 45 great depth on small and large targets runs very stable it does all I want a detector to do .I must say the first 45 I had was noisy and there was a recall on them but as others have said there are some good deals around at the moment regards john :)

old hand said:
Wolfau I have had 3 4500 and a 5000 at the moment I am using the last of the 4500s I do not think I would go back to a 5000 at this stage I just enjoy the 45 great depth on small and large targets runs very stable it does all I want a detector to do .I must say the first 45 I had was noisy and there was a recall on them but as others have said there are some good deals around at the moment regards john :)

John whats the first 3 or 4 digits of your serial so I can
Get an idea of what the last serials were for the 4500.

Thanks

Up to B1001200 had the recall and yes I was lucky enough to get one!? but after that they were all fine and I'm pretty confident that all early 4500's would of had the problem well sorted my now cause I tell you anyone who experienced this would of been on the phone to the dealer or Minelab pretty quick smart. Well it took me a week as I thought it was really bad emi the first couple of trips out and then could never achieve a good ground balance.

Cheers,
James

Wolfau the 45 I am using at the moment is a 102 serial number it has 2 stickers on the bottom one with the serial number and another one that is a security sticker if you look for that, I see there is one on ebay at the moment a big BUT its been modified that will give you an idear of the stickers you can see it in the picture with the detector packed in the box. There is a ML list of stolen detectors it will pay to check that before buying regards john :)

old hand said:
Wolfau the 45 I am using at the moment is a 102 serial number it has 2 stickers on the bottom one with the serial number and another one that is a security sticker if you look for that, I see there is one on ebay at the moment a big BUT its been modified that will give you an idear of the stickers you can see it in the picture with the detector packed in the box. There is a ML list of stolen detectors it will pay to check that before buying regards john :)

Thanks John.

So the security sticker is not like the
5000 and is on the side of the machine?

Its on the bottom and it goes across the blue and the black plastic end and it not as big as the 5000 sticker
1425259342_4500.jpg
this is what it looks like regards john :)

Latest posts