Minelab GPX4500 tips, settings, questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Dignit, l agonised over the 4500 v's 5000 choice, but in the end economics won out. Being able to get a small arsenal of specific coils with the 4500 for the same spend as the 5000 was what tipped my choice in favour of the 4500. As you rightly say though, you still have to walk over it though. Luckily I love walking in the bush. Steve

The mono is a great, but I have no problem with the DD, it's a proven gold finder for me anyway. If people never use them, how would they know? :lol:
In Senstitive Extra the DD gets great depth and sensitivity... Listen to advice definitely Stocky, but go with your gut ;)

1564105786_screenshot_20190726-114448.jpg

Sounds like the mono has the edge. I was aware that it was a slightly more sensitive coil, but thought the dd may just be a little more forgiving if I'm not quite getting my settings right. In for a penny, in for a pound... the mono it is then.

Mate,
Make sure that you read the manual. Start in factory presets and adjust from there.
People on here will give you settings but they are basically useless unless they are actually onsite with you as the ground can change dramatically over a short distance

Ive seen newbies turn up at Hill End with their shiny new 4500/5000's and cant get them to run quite enough to detect. When asked about their settings from they mostly tell me they got them off some bloke on the internet. One bloke even turned up with settings from a guy in USA and wondered why his machine was screaming.

With regards to the DD coil. Dont let people on here put you off using it. I have recovered over 3 oz of gold from the gullies around Hill End with the 11 DD coil. I work the rubbishy areas only digging the good signals and leave the rest to the mono brigade. :eek:

When I first started using the DD coil I dug over 300 rubbish targets just to prove that they were crap and all were.

Do your own testing and come to your own conclusions

Just get out there and enjoy yourself,

Bob

Balmain Bob said:
Mate,
Make sure that you read the manual. Start in factory presets and adjust from there.
People on here will give you settings but they are basically useless unless they are actually onsite with you as the ground can change dramatically over a short distance

Ive seen newbies turn up at Hill End with their shiny new 4500/5000's and cant get them to run quite enough to detect. When asked about their settings from they mostly tell me they got them off some bloke on the internet. One bloke even turned up with settings from a guy in USA and wondered why his machine was screaming.

With regards to the DD coil. Dont let people on here put you off using it. I have recovered over 3 oz of gold from the gullies around Hill End with the 11 DD coil. I work the rubbishy areas only digging the good signals and leave the rest to the mono brigade. :eek:

When I first started using the DD coil I dug over 300 rubbish targets just to prove that they were crap and all were.

Do your own testing and come to your own conclusions

Just get out there and enjoy yourself,

Bob

Amen to that :Y:

It's funny how DD coils are crap but everyone keeps banging on about the new Nugget Finder DD's coming out :lol: :lol: :lol:

A great choice of detector Stocky. I have the same range of coils and returned home last night with enough gold to replace all my gear including the quad bike. We were amongst others swinging 7000s and nobody got near the same result but then you still have to put the coil in the right place and recognise the signal.

That's an inspirational report Money Box. Makes me want to jump in the car and fire up the machine. Thanks for you're input. I'll find a few days spare next week, so I'll be into it. I'm thinking Whipstick. Steve

Moneybox said:
A great choice of detector Stocky. I have the same range of coils and returned home last night with enough gold to replace all my gear including the quad bike. We were amongst others swinging 7000s and nobody got near the same result but then you still have to put the coil in the right place and recognise the signal.

That's it then!!
I'm of tomorrow to dig more treasure. Like this that I got last weekend.

1564137995_20190721_1509580.jpg

Hard Luck said:
Moneybox said:

That's it then!!
I'm of tomorrow to dig more treasure. Like this that I got last weekend.

looks a lot like one of my outings :lol: :100: :poop:

Ben Digo said:
Jaros said:
Maybe because it's affecting the sales of the more expensive models.
I am a cynic. :/
Couldn't agree more Jaros. The GPX4500 is a great machine, perhaps the best!

You could be right there Ben Digo. I bought the GPX5000 for my first detector last year, and at the time after looking at other options I decided that the SDC 3000 didn't suit my needs, and the GPZ7000 was a lot of money with limited coil size options. Now after finally getting the hang of what I'm actually doing when I get out in the field, and finding the type of detecting I enjoy and places I like to detect, I could easily have gone for the 4500 and still met my needs for less money I think. In fact I could have spent the same money all-up and had a few more coils to use with it. I think I read a comment by Nenad on here somewhere once too where he mentioned that the Salt timing on the 4500 was better than the 5000? I have heard also that some specialty coils like large drag coils or Anti-Interference coils are also better on the 4500 than the 5000 (or maybe that's because once again they were being used on Salt pans or something, I don't know).

Latest posts