Minelab GPX4500 tips, settings, questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi just bought myself a new gpx4500 with 12x8 evolution nugget Finder coil am very happy with the gpx4500 still dont know exactly how to use it but would like to thank you all for sharing the settings I have found on here have found couple of bullets in Whipstick area but it is what it is thanks for all the info

Thanks HH I got training with my purchase this Sunday will probably be out after training Ill pm you location thanks

Hi dropbear
Only found couple of bullets last week but having training with mine lab Sunday
Ill let u know how I go

i have just bought a 15inch nugget finder coil for my 4500 and was talking to a guy in the bush he said stabilizer 4 and rx 12 the machine got quiet am i loosing anything with these settings i have no idea what i should be running it on help appreciated thank you

Hi thunter, plenty of people will have different ways to run their machines, some like it hot and some like it smooth or tame.
Personally I think a good starting point is to raise your RX to where it just starts to become unstable, then drop the Stabilizer until it just steadies that waver, you'll know when you come across hotter ground or when it gets milder and tweak the settings to suit.

Everyone will have a different preference but there is no 1 lot of settings to suit all ground, it's very dependant on the ground you are on so learning to set your RX and Stab to suit that ground is very beneficial to get the best settings without missing anything.

I'm starting to run with hotter settings of late so I know exactly what the ground mineralization is doing, it does become taxing on the ears at times but I believe the benefits outweigh running a machine too quiet, but that's just my thoughts.

No doubt others with more experience than me will have their thoughts to.

ok thanks so im running in smooth ,slow rx 10 stab 8 ,quiet signal 19 response normal tracking fixed are these good basic settings for the 4500 with 15inch nugget finder new coil

Hey Thunter , me I run the stabalizer somewhere between 8 and 12 , depending on the ground and rx high as possible . Enhance ,audio quiet , Rx 12 stabalizer 10 is a good place to start tweek from there . Targets will standout . Cheers Booney.

Does anyone know what the quick track button does? I read the Manuel but still not entirely sure what it does.

Ive always had this a couple times where Im detecting and all of a sudden I get a very quick decent signal but on repeat swing its gone. Is this just a glitch? Happened at least twice now

After you have setup your 4500 with a specific ground Balance,
Flick the front Ground Tracking to Fixed.

While you are detecting your spot, Every now and agian or if the machine
gets a little noisy,
Flick the switch to tracking,
Press the Green button Briefly,
You will hear a small beep,
Pump the coil up and down near the ground a few times until the threshold
stabilizes.

Make sure you do not have a target under the coil when doing this.

When Happy, Turn the switch to Fixed.

That is why the button is called a quick track.

You don't have to flick the switch to Tracking. The Quick Track was introduced to avoid the need for bending over and looking for the ground balance switch. If you are operating in Fixed ground balance, simply press and Hold the Quick Trak button whenever you want to ground balance. The machine remains in tracking as long as the button is being pressed.

Initial Very Fast Ground Balance
Every time you switch from Fixed to Tracking on the
front control panel, or via the Quick-Trak button,
the GPX-4500 will initiate a very fast auto Ground
Balance. The Tracking Speed does not affect the
speed of the initial very fast auto Ground Balance.

PhaseTech said:
You don't have to flick the switch to Tracking. The Quick Track was introduced to avoid the need for bending over and looking for the ground balance switch. If you are operating in Fixed ground balance, simply press and Hold the Quick Trak button whenever you want to ground balance. The machine remains in tracking as long as the button is being pressed.
it just doesn't beep , i usually pump balance , then stop and static balance for a couple of seconds to make it super smooth, then let the button go.
with this you can find a target , move the coil aside to the mullock , pump 4-5 times and rego over the target , if it disappears it was ground noise , if it is still there it's worth a dig

VicGoldHunter said:
had this a couple times where Im detecting and all of a sudden I get a very quick decent signal but on repeat swing its gone. Is this just a glitch? Happened at least twice now
I ve had this sometimes too.. i put it down to the machine occasionally picking up something on me as im swinging

Hi thunter,Im running the same gear as you and finding gold,I think you use Booneys comments and you will definetly get plenty of targets and dig em all.regards mark .i always use Manuel tracking and ground balance only once to recheck any potential target.

VicGoldHunter said:
Does anyone know what the quick track button does? I read the Manuel but still not entirely sure what it does.

Ive always had this a couple times where Im detecting and all of a sudden I get a very quick decent signal but on repeat swing its gone. Is this just a glitch? Happened at least twice now

Ground Balancing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WU2YZeeKYc

Latest posts