Minelab GPX4500 tips, settings, questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dig'n-it said:
RS
A couple of quick suggestions relative to what I use:
With the 11" Elite I rarely go over 9 with Rx and 8 Stabilizer (but bump it up when I can), set frequency to between 85 and 100, use Enhance, use Quiet Audio. Should help with stability. Cheers

Thanks Dig'n-it for the tips!

I had a look at the manual after posting the above and read enhance switch helps reduce false signals and hot rocks!!

Also had no clue about Quiet Audio and will try that next time.

Thank you I appreciate the help, I m going to need it till I learn how to tame the power of the GPX!!!

Its like coming off a 250cc bike then riding a 1000cc!

mbasko,

Appreciate your reply as well.

I had this vision of simply tranferring what I already know from hundreds of SDC hours to GPX.

When I started with the SDC I had the bungy set up and a Minelab pinpointer but did not like being attached and eventually became very proficient at pinpointing and target retrieval. I kept mis placing the pinpointer in the bush and hated carrying it around, was a black minelab pro pointer.

I will now "unlearn" what I think I know.

Note to self:
Attach bungy cord
Keep coil slighty off ground
Buy another pinpointer, flouro in colour!!

Thanks your advice, it will reduce frustration and fast track my learning curve!!!

Cheers

RS

G'day Craig

I also struggling around power lines after coming from SDC , Nenad had a handy tip when cranking up the machine and autotuning .
In a nutshell it involved having very aggressive settings saved in custom to use when autotuning which allows maximum information into the machine then switch back to detecting settings and away you go. I will try and find later and pm you.

Cheers

Dig'n-it said:
RS
With the 11" Elite I rarely go over 9 with Rx and 8 Stabilizer (but bump it up when I can), set frequency to between 85 and 100, use Enhance, use Quiet Audio. Should help with stability. Cheers
Hi mate i have been running the 4500 with 11" elite I found that I can get my rx between 11 and 14 depending where I'm prospecting but my stabilizer I have backed off to between 3 and 4 also depending on the ground..I get it to run super smooth and still very sensitive with no problem picking up tiny stuff like 0.01gm ..if I run my elite with a high stabilizer I get a lot of false calls and it picks up every hot rock also when I do a manual tune I hold it in the air and slowly spin it around till I find the noisiest position and then tune it to that seems to work a treat ...

Picking up 0.01g seems a bit small to me that's Gold Bug 2 sized gold

Mickybees said:
Dig'n-it said:
RS
Hi mate i have been running the 4500 with 11" elite I found that I can get my rx between 11 and 14 depending where I'm prospecting but my stabilizer I have backed off to between 3 and 4 also depending on the ground..I get it to run super smooth and still very sensitive with no problem picking up tiny stuff like 0.01gm ..if I run my elite with a high stabilizer I get a lot of false calls and it picks up every hot rock also when I do a manual tune I hold it in the air and slowly spin it around till I find the noisiest position and then tune it to that seems to work a treat ...

dont be too scared to dumb it down a bit, Ive often run in enhance, gain at 6 stab at 9 or 10, and found very small bits , 0.1 gm with an evo 14 x 9.

When I set up my modded 3500 using test nuggets i can beat my mates 4500 using same coils. My smallest test nugget is 0.03 i use this to usually set up my 2300. I can just get it with 3500. The main advantage the 4500 has is its quieter running in mineralised ground.

neddy said:
Picking up 0.01g seems a bit small to me that's Gold Bug 2 sized gold

Mickybees said:
Dig'n-it said:
RS
I mean point one of a gram and that's no jokes I'd rather be picking up bigger stuff but the elite can go that small cheers

Redfin said:
Gents remember the stabiliser [which is basically a noise filter] is full on at 1, and off at 15.
I didn't realise that but it makes sense that higher I go with the stabilizer the more unsettled the machine runs and it's really noticeable with the elite coils not so much with the commander coils .

neddy said:
When I set up my modded 3500 using test nuggets i can beat my mates 4500 using same coils. My smallest test nugget is 0.03 i use this to usually set up my 2300. I can just get it with 3500. The main advantage the 4500 has is its quieter running in mineralised ground.

That's a pretty important advantage that the 4500 has...The whole point of it all really, to be better in mineralised ground

What are people's settings for mineralized ground which is very noisy. Canoona outside Rocky. Man it's noisy.

Polky

Latest posts