Minelab GPX4500 tips, settings, questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the problem these days is that a lot of people think if they pay $1000 for something then 4 to 5 years down the track it must still be worth $600 to $800 even thought it is well out of warranty and only worth $200 to $300 do what i do and offer what you want to pay for it if they say no then move on and find something else
just look at a lot of garage sales they want nearly new price for second hand goods and at the end of the day they still have it sitting on the table so then they donate it to charity and loose money it is just this day and age if you can save the extra few $$$ then buy new and get all that goes with that

Guys you are correct, I had the same issue and ended up buy a new GPX 4500.
Almost the same price and secondhand. Plus there is nothing better than buying new.
There have been some horror stories of secondhand gear that have been modified by people without the expertise.
Plus now the stores selling new gear usually offer great free gear. My advice is shop around you will find a big difference in price.

But there is always a GPX 4500 or Z that pops up which has a significant amount of warranty left and this is transferable and hardly used.
These can be really good value.

According to some the GPX 4500 offers the best bang for your buck when it comes to PI machines and I tend to agree, It would have to be the best all round PI made, new comers young or old can not match them and they have found hundreds of ounces of Gold over the years, I think it is the one "Must Have" detector and there are not many that could be classed as such.

John.

Bear in mind the cost of Evo coils. If you can get say 3 thrown in that's about $1200 even second hand value. If you want new, buy new, if you want a bargain shop around for good used packages. Buying used from a shop/dealer you will normally get some warrranty even if the unit is out of factory warranty.

vstrom said:
Have been looking at getting a gpx 4500 second hand or new but notice most the second hand ones are out of warranty and are only about $500 cheaper than new do the second hand sellers not see what brand new ones cost for the extra $500you get brand new 3 years warranty why would you brother with second hand at those prices.
Exactly Vstorm, and SDC is the same story. People asking 2700-3000$ for second hand while you can find new packages including wireless modules,covers,bunge for around 3400$.GPX5000 is only different story.Second hand around 4000 vs new 5600, there I see significant difference. Perhaps all those who upgraded to Z's getting rid of them...my 2c

Will be buying new any with evo coils are same price as new I've already got evos so new is my best option.

You can still get some good buys secondhand on machines with two years warranty left as there are still sellers out there that brought the package deals so can let them go cheaper as the machine doesn't owe them as much. But have seen machines for sale that are dearer than the current new price :rolleyes:

You will not go wrong with a 4500.
If you are quibbling trying to save a few hundred,
Just go get a new one and be done with it. :Y:
The learning curve is rather steep but in the end,
Worth it.
All I have to do is go get a set of non steel boots.
It picks them up from full shaft length away.
Damned annoying. ]:D
Take your pick of coils but learn from what you start with.
If you get the elliptical and double D with it, You are half way there.
Then go an EVO Sadie and a 17 x 13.
That is all you will need. :Y:
Bit over picking up the Radar from the Airliners flying over head. :D

Oh, I failed to mention a set of Sandy Shafts.
With that combo above, A very capable lean,
mean fighting machine.
Then all you have to do is trust it then walk over the top of
what you are wanting. :D :D :D :Y:
Then you will be happy. :cool:

Ridge Runner said:
have found hundreds of ounces of Gold over the years,

John.
The GPX 4500 would have found more like thousands, or even hundreds of thousands, of ounces over the years...But I'm sure that's what you meant.

bustinuggets said:
Ridge Runner said:
have found hundreds of ounces of Gold over the years,

John.
The GPX 4500 would have found more like thousands, or even hundreds of thousands, of ounces over the years...But I'm sure that's what you meant.

Yeah I did, I was using my fingers and Toe's and lost Count, sorry about that, lol.

Sell my F1A4 level 3 with 3 coils at the moment on gumtree and am asking $1900 that's about half price witch I think is realistic not like some 4500 sellers that almost want the price of a new one.?

vstrom said:
Sell my F1A4 level 3 with 3 coils at the moment on gumtree and am asking $1900 that's about half price witch I think is realistic not like some 4500 sellers that almost want the price of a new one.?

True but in fairness one machine advertised may be 20 years old and the other only 2 months old with several years of warranty included along with it ;)
Probably a bit hard to compare the two really :Y:

I got mine unmarked and 5 months old, original coils plus Elite 14" Mono, harness, speaker etc for $3000. It had been out twice but never found gold. I verified it was genuine by calling the selling dealer who quoted the invoice number that I already had a copy of.

Buying second hand allowed me to get out of my Garrett ATX and into the 4500 without being out of pocket. To top it off we came back from our first trip out with enough gold to buy several more. There are good deals out there for used detectors but you have to have the cash in hand and be patient.

I regret never taking the ATX diving but there's never enough time to do everything. It did however find my biggest and deepest nugget so far so even though it had it's faults it was a great detector :Y:

Latest posts