Minelab GPX4500 tips, settings, questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
davent said:
Ground balance. I ground balance in tracking, then flick to fixed. Is this right? Also, when in fixed, can I ground balance by holding the green button in, pump the coil, release the button? Cause that's what I'm doing....

If running in fixed, the ground balance switch remains in the fixed position throughout the entire "standard" ground balance procedure, holding in the quick trak button essentially turns on tracking anyway. But I believe in absence of the quick track button you could start in fixed, flick to tracking then back to fixed once ground balanced?? I haven't tried this so maybe someone could confirm that it is possible and / or recommended.

To reset ground balance in fixed, just keep doing what you're doing (basically the same as the initial ground balance procedure :)).

Hi Davent
Sorry it took so long for a reply, the 4500 came with 11 inch DD and mono, missed out on the recent extra elliptical offer.
Am wondering if anyone can help with setting suggestions for Clermont as I'm heading up there for a week at the end of August and it will be the first chance I have had to use my 4500 on a gold field.
My thanks for all the nice replies it's great to get a response to such a simple post.

Just wondering if anyone knows if you Can still get the 4500 on special for $3300 or have they gone up ?

From all accounts the 11" mono is a good coil, I would like one myself, as they are stable in hot areas.

Tathradj said:
Had my first swing of my 4500 today at Mogo and
I found it sooo easy to GB.
I started in FP smooth and GB in fixed after balancing in tracking,
Then started to tweak stab and gain.
Ground was a little hot but snagged a small piece of lead at 5 inches.
Machine went of it's nuts.
Very positive target that sounded like a screamer. A very different sound
to the 22 shells I was finding.
All I had was a mozzie sound with a slight warble every now and again.
Very Happy with it.
Now to find a nugget.

That's great to hear Tathradj, it sounds like you're on your way to having the 4500 mastered. I'm hoping to get back out there myself in the next week or so, hopefully I'll return with some show and tell this time :lol:

Hey braggy thanks for that I got mine last year from Coiltek in Maryborough for 3300 with 2 coils 11" dd and the big one I think 15" x11" my friend is looking to buy one so 3500 is still a really good price cheers mick

jamie said:
Doug was loving life today, was like a kid in a candy store playing with his 4500, was good to see.
I managed to get my 4500 and 14" elite coil to run smooth today was a pleasure to use after that, haven't had much luck with the mono but that changed today
changed how? photo's? teaser lol

Thanks for your comments people's. :) :)
I had a ball except for a slight health problem. LOL
Put it this way, I had shares in the bog roll industry. :8
I will leave the main reporting up to Jamie as he has some news.
It was so good to be able to finally get out and about with
good company and a decent machine.

Reckon the 4500 is better than decent Doug, with elites and evo,s and a bit of time getting to know the machine, they're awsome.

How about,
" A very Capable Detector. "
Certainly can see that with the first hours use. :)
All I have to do now is arm my self with more knowledge and
an arsenal of coils.
Then I will be happy.
:cool:

Otto fiberglass shafts are awesome, been using the same one since my gp extreme.

And a big thumbs up for the cable guard. Not a fan of the clips though, they flick off and fly into the scrub.

Tathradj said:
Any One use the fiberglass upper shaft's. ?

Bought the Otto shafts when the 4500 was released, wouldn't think about going back to original aluminium shafts.
Velcro bottom cable in a straight line to the joint then wind the lead around the upper shaft in such a way that when it wraps around the handle between handle and box make sure the loop is on the outside.
For right handed swingers wind the lead clockwise looking down from box to joint. The cable does not come in contact with your hip, no false signals.

Nightjar,
Did you notice any difference in performance.?
What is the main reason and difference you found.
Thanks for your comments. :)

Latest posts