Minelab GPX4500 tips, settings, questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good idea. Been a steep learning curve for me, I run a 14x9 and A 15 spoked NF evo on mine. Have personal best of a 5.96 gram and smallest of .1 gram so far. I find it best to tune mine so it runs quiet, with NO burps or hickups, which means stab down as much as 7 and gain about 9 where I can. Heaps of blokes run much hotter, but I think quiet is the key.

I think the best advice is to use a 11 commander mono to start with just take your time keep the coil on the ground and if working in fixed ground balance often .I have been detecting for 34 years and are still learning do not be afraid to ask any questions what suits one person may not work for you ,setting very from state to state and the same for coil how they work and ground conditions .A good example of that is davent where he detects there is a lot of EMI plus burnt ground so my setting did not work very well for him ,but if you ask we will try to help regards john :)

Hi fellas, good to meet up with ya Dave.
Been swingin the 45 for 8mths and done ok.
Read the manual and watch JP vid to understand the settings eg. enhance, general,deep and so on.
Ya need the 45 to run stable,and continous hum,but also good sensetivity and depth.
Start with FP, then over a few weeks play with ya gain and stab. I find 4digits between gain/stab works
best for me. Morning night i run 14/10, rest of day 12/8 or 10/6. Yes i run high end gain when i can,
also use B and Z booster which i find helps to high lite changes in hum,to indicate target.
The best advice given to me by a mate with 30yrs detecting exp was, first target dont rush to dig, use
target to play with ya machine, adjust gain and stab to highest settins while keepin 45 stable.
The higher the gain in relation to ya other settings gives better depth and sensetivity,also audio tune and ground
balancing are a must.
I personally found the 14elite and 15NF on par, the NF i think seems to be more stronger in construction,performance equal.
Thanks for the use of the NF Dave.

Polky

Ground balance. I ground balance in tracking, then flick to fixed. Is this right? Also, when in fixed, can I ground balance by holding the green button in, pump the coil, release the button? Cause that's what I'm doing....

old hand said:
Hi Dave I run in fixed all the time when necessary to ground balance just use the green button hold it down and pump the coil till it smooth out release the button when the coil is on the ground NOT IN THE AIR regards john :)
That's interesting John. I've not heard that before. I always release the button when the coil is just off the ground. I'll have to give it a go. Cheers

I have been running the 11" dd lately in mono I found it to be more sensitive but I would say I'm probably loosing depth, and is more prone to hot rocks.
I use the green button method for gb and always run in fixed and normal occasionally switching to enhance when the ground seems a bit noisey.
Haven't had mutch luck on the nuggets but the places I been getting to are pretty heavily worked over.
I hope I have a bit of luck soon, it's been way too long since I seen any yellow and digging tacks and slugs is starting to get old lol

Yeah I have the 15x12 which I did find quite sensitive but a bit heavy and I've been working around some quite scrubby terrain with plenty of big rocks so have been using the 11" to get close to the ground and amongst the shrubs

Digginholes just keep at it a friend using a GP Extreme with a 11 commander DD in mono is having good success on the old timers diggings over 200 pieces to the OZ. Have a play with you settings try normal on the front, fixed,search mode normal , rx 9 audio normal , stab 9 ,singal 19 ,target vol 12, tracking med with DD coil .See how it goes what you said about leaning the 4500 is the way to go regards john :)

Cheers John, I actually have been running pretty dang close to those settings target vol a bit higher I think but.
Adio tune I was playing with a bit trying to manual tune around the 90 to 120 range but she still makes a bit of noise and when auto tuned always seems to settle in the higher numbers but quietness and smooth hum, should I be trying to manual tune ?
I mean, they made auto tune for a reason right? Lol

If you turn your target vol back it should run smoother ,I have found the higher it is the nosier the detector runs, to get the small stuff the detector must be running smooth and stable regards john :)

Had my first swing of my 4500 today at Mogo and
I found it sooo easy to GB.
I started in FP smooth and GB in fixed after balancing in tracking,
Then started to tweak stab and gain.
Ground was a little hot but snagged a small piece of lead at 5 inches.
Machine went of it's nuts.
Very positive target that sounded like a screamer. A very different sound
to the 22 shells I was finding.
All I had was a mozzie sound with a slight warble every now and again.
Very Happy with it.
Now to find a nugget.

Latest posts