Minelab GPX4500 tips, settings, questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah that's another good point. Especially for a young bloke like myself who wears flat peak hats and what not, must be a criminal right?

jamie said:
Cheers guys, just got back from tuena I took both coils, used the elite for half the day could heaps of just then the second half of the day I used the 11" DD, found my first nugget about ten mins after putting on the DD, such a great machine to use

I was gonna say use the 11, anything larger and you cant get into most "twiggy" built up spots, the bigger coils may be better for some things but if u cant get close to cracks and crevices and under small scrub then missing out on a lot of ground. Well done.

Dicko said:
Well done mate, I am looking at taking my new 4500 with the new NF12"Evo coil down late in Jan19, hope I can get my first nuggie then.
Cheers mate, i love the 4500, found gold on my first trip with it i have nothing to complain about, hope you find one too mate

Twapster, cheers, you are spot on mate, found the 11'" a lot more user friendly around the tree/shrub bases etc, and it came up with the goods :D

Ha ha yeah what about his face when I pulled out a little Tupperware container to show him what I'd been weighing up.
I thought oh here we go I'm getting arrested for weighing up crystal :cool

Digginholes said:
Ha ha yeah what about his face when I pulled out a little Tupperware container to show him what I'd been weighing up.
I thought oh here we go I'm getting arrested for weighing up crystal :cool

Especially if they were "breaking Bad" blue crystals, lol.

Yes sir of course they are Sapphires, please step out of the car sir........ :D

The new rerelease gpx4500 is it better then the old one and is it as good as a gpx 5000?
I have a new 4500 and think it's awesome just wondering what other people think?

Back to topic now - hemmm. If the newer 4500s are better than the older 4500s, wouldn't they be naming them differently i.e.:"GPX4500GT" or something with at least some claimed performance over the older ones?
The fact that they're still the same model has me believing that Minelab are just clearing stock (viz 5000s and the Zeds), and there's nothing wrong or ancient with my 4yo 4500. They are (at least the older ones were) reliable as all s*#t. One curly cord went u/s on me (I had a spare and it had lots of abuse when digging) and that's it. It's been a brilliant machine for the tough ground that is my home away from home in the GT.
Back off topic now - you all gotta check out recently posted recipes on campfire cooking!

My 4500 is very new to me, and I like it a lot.
Still learning how to use it though.
Today, I mucked around with settings a bit.
Tried deep mode for the first time, and man, my NF 14 x 9 evo was soooo quiet on this setting.
Can anyone frill me in on advantages and disadvantages of deep?

I feel the new 4500 are a great detector there most likely have been upgrades through the 4500 history and the same with the 5000
so looking at it this way, any improvement on the 5000 and 4500 most likely will be incorporated into the new 4500s the 2 we have ran like a dream regards john :)

No it doesn't they're the same. No extra timing/s.
There was speculation that the new 4500's have the GPX5000's "Improved Enhance Timing for more depth" & "Improved electronics for increased target sensitivity and ground balance performance". It makes sense that the newer ones would incorporate those improvements but it is just speculation unless Minelab confirm it & the only change they "confirm" in their blurbs is the addition of the 15"x12" mono coil as stock.
There was also speculation these "new" 4500's are just new old stock originally destined for the African market but rediverted here & the US when the market there fell in a heap? And another is that it was reintroduced to combat other brands in the price range i.e. Whites TDI, Garrett ATX etc. (they needn't have bothered a re-released GP3500 would have beat them off :lol: ). Ahhh speculation......

Latest posts