Minelab GPX4500 tips, settings, questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jamie take booth coils I have never detected at Tuena but try the elite coil make sure the detector is in enhanced run the settings up a little and see how it goes the many thing you should have a stable quiet threshold. If you find it to noisy put the 11 DD on and try it in mono mode they work very well regards john :)

Congrats Jamie.
coincidence I also got my first nuggie with the 11 this weekend.
Have been using the 15x12 and it picks the smallest of birdshot to a decent depth just never made its way over a nuggie :(

You should have no problem picking up .1 with the 14 elite mate. I get bits like that all the time. Just need to learn dial it in. Reach out to nenad aka phase technical he does one on one training or if you're down near Ballarat and want some help im happy to get out for a swing :);

Peko said:
walshie1000 said:
Good point nugget buster. I assumed this was all good as he spoke of making sure he was in the right mode for each coil. Always a possibility though.
If your searching for car doors, running in cancel should be fine :p

I use cancel quite often with mono coils, every mode has a purpose, you just need to know when to use it.

Yes. Every mode may have a purpose, but picking up a 0.16 g piece of gold isn't the net use of Cancel mode with a mono coil

I use cancel mode to accurately locate larger targets and also determine the size of the target. I've found with larger coils a large target can be hard to pinpoint due to it sounding from a further distance from the coil. Cancel works really well in this case.

how does the 'cancel' function work with the mono, only experience i have with cancel and a mono is the quick start guide saying if using a mono and cancel it wont find targets so i am just curious as it has come up in the conversation and people use that configure
cheers guys

Basically as walshie said it removes alot of sensitivity designed for emi blocking but works well on the left side of the coil for pinpointing. You can crank your gain all the way in cancel most of the time

Its a funny coil the 14 mate. Ive found three hot spots on mine and they are pretty obvious now from all the scratches but ona different day the Hotspot can move . Whenever i take someone out new to detecting whatever the coil i like to get them to spend a few minutes rubbing a bit of metal around the coil to see how different parts of the coil make different noises. I think it helps program your brain a little and helps when that elusive target keeps jumping around.

Thanks all for your comments. Actually I stuffed up, for some reason the little nugget now only weighs .07 not .16. Really don't know what happened there. Faulty scales? Not sure. Anyway since then I've spent a fair bit of time learning the beast but haven't had much time to get out. Hopefully I'll get out once a week from February onwards.

You know your machine and settings can't be too bad when your getting that stuff mate. It could be possible that the scales weren't flat or just a glitch with the scales. I'm in the habit of always hitting the tare button and finding the flattest surface possible. Gives you every chance of getting most accurate readings. I just weigh my shit when I get home. Gives me something to look forward to on the long drive home. Plus the scales don't cop a beating in my travels

Well done mate, I am looking at taking my new 4500 with the new NF12"Evo coil down late in Jan19, hope I can get my first nuggie then.

Digginholes said:
I used to take my scales every where when I went digging until I was pulled over one time and had to explain to the cop I was weighing gold and sapphires not drugs lol

Hmmmm bet that took some convincing. Could imagine the look on the coppers face, probably thought he'd hit the jackpot until he saw your prospecting gear. :D

Latest posts