Minelab GPX 4500 information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still find more gold with my stock 15x12 mono on the 4500 than the plethora of coils I've added to the arsenal. That's not to say you don't benefit from additional coils for certain situations but you can go a long way with the stock coil just by mastering the settings and a trained ear. It's easy as a beginner to fall into a habit of buying coils when you're not finding gold. Not so easy on the wallet.

nuggetino said:
It's easy as a beginner to fall into a habit of buying coils when you're not finding gold. Not so easy on the wallet.

That is a mistake made by many.
And I agree, the 15 x 10 Commander is an excellent coil.

That 15X elliptical commander is a great coil the only thing its a bit heavy ,very stable great depth also pings the small stuff regards john :Y:

Mine came with an 11" DD and the 15*12 mono.
The DD is not very sensitive and the 15*12 is heavy.
If I were to add just one coil, it would be the 12" NF evo. Those 3 would cover a lot of situations.

With the 15x12" Mono, have the coil as close to your feet as possible without getting tripped up, (totally non-metallic boots are a must) and then slide your control box back - this provides a much nicer balance. Also adjust your handle so that your elbow is just sticking out the back of the armrest. Properly set-up with the supplied bungy it is nice to swing.

I have 2 extra coils for mine.
17 x 13 EVO,
Sadie.
I am told by the powers that be they are the only extra 2 coils
you will ever need.
The Sadie finds targets that small it is hard to find them. :)
Get an old bullet under them and the 4500 absolutely screams at you. :)

:Y:
nuggetino said:
Still find more gold with my stock 15x12 mono on the 4500 than the plethora of coils I've added to the arsenal. That's not to say you don't benefit from additional coils for certain situations but you can go a long way with the stock coil just by mastering the settings and a trained ear. It's easy as a beginner to fall into a habit of buying coils when you're not finding gold. Not so easy on the wallet.

Very stable.
The 17 x 13 has more of a "Square" field under it.
Not like a round coils field that is shaped like an upside down cone.
More for deeper bigger targets but still sensitive on the smaller stuff.
The Sadie is dynamite on small stuff.
Almost on par with a SDC 2300.
I only got the 11 inch round and double d with my 4500.
So, Summing up, with these two extra coils, They are all I would
really need to mop up a patch.
I am still thinking about a 14 inch Elite.
No matter what you have, You have to walk over it first. :D

Gpuexpl said:
:Y:
nuggetino said:

I would like to hear comments about modification of the original gpx 4500.
Would you recommend it, outcome and what to watch out for.
Thank you

I have seen a lot of feed back about this.
Summing up,
Why modify an already perfect machine. ?
A lot of people have had mods done to them and did not like it.

tuner said:
it comes stock with 11"monoloop and a 11" double d coils what are they?
They're the 2 x standard Minelab round coils. Both are 11" round but one is a mono & the other is a DD (double D).
Rather than rewrite the whole spiel on coils & coil selection here is a handy read from Minelab:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/doc/member-docs/4485/1494457126_kba_02-5_coil_selection_guide.pdf
Page 5 discusses coil selection basics & the different configurations such as mono + DD.
I've seen a current deal for the GPX4500 with both the 11" coils + a 15"x12" mono. Maybe ask your dealer as they seem to give the 15"x12" away in a lot of package deals? Those 3 plus a small coil like the 8" mono or sadie would keep you out of trouble in most areas (or into it :lol:).

Latest posts