Minelab GPX 4500 information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ned kellys not dead

Wayne Kelly
Reaction score
Ok to all the " Old hands" out there, I got my GPX4500 together yesterday and gave it a try on the front lawn, I got nothing but constant noise, I do not have a clue what I am doing, I have set it to the manuals recommended settings, would I be getting lots of interference in the front yard to cause all the noise?, could really use some helpful advice or input, ideally if there is someone in the Brisbane area with experience on these machines who could give me a little one on one guidance? In return I could give a few beers, that would be great, cheers all, Ned :8

Forget about switching the machine on near your
House. Too much interference.

I would clear the detectors old settings and switch the
detector settings to preset.

Your 2 main things you need to set is the rx gain.

Then set the stabiliser a couple of notches down.

So if the rx gain is 10 then try running stabilizer at
8. I am still learning the 5000 though and others
Will chime in.

The way i understand it the smaller the coil then
increase your rx gain the larger the coil you may
Need to turn it down then adjust the stabilizer.

The 11" mono if yiur detector came with this coil
Is a good coil to start with.

Hooe this has helped.

DD running in cancel mode is the only way in suburbia, take it out of the city and it should run perfectly. The answer I gave in the other thread is very relevant.

Wolfau said:
Forget about switching the machine on near your
House. Too much interference.

I would clear the detectors old settings and switch the
detector settings to preset.

Your 2 main things you need to set is the rx gain.

Then set the stabiliser a couple of notches down.

So if the rx gain is 10 then try running stabilizer at
8. I am still learning the 5000 though and others
Will chime in.

The way i understand it the smaller the coil then
increase your rx gain the larger the coil you may
Need to turn it down then adjust the stabilizer.

The 11" mono if yiur detector came with this coil
Is a good coil to start with.

Hooe this has helped.

Wolf, using a DD in cancel you can crank the gain to max and it should run quite smoothly, even in the worst EMI in the city. Underground communications cables will still give it grief though. I can run mine in Sydney in cancel mode. On the beach you may be able to get away with the DD Rx setting and get some very impressive depth with the 11 DD.

I had the DD on but was only 4 feet from the front wall of the house on the grass but so noisy, couldn't distinguish anything, I will try the reset to factory presets for sure wolfau and then follow the "Set projects" guide, and heatho I will take a run up the range past the gun club now and see how it goes in the bush, thanks for the responses guys appreciate it, Ned :)

I tested the GPX at home with the 11" Mono and wanted to see how well the nugget
was pinged by the GPX. This is the only thing that did interest me when I was testing
the GPX since its the detecting mode I will be using.

No experience with a 4500 mate but I now consider myself an expert on lead , reckon you might find a bit around the Gun Club :eek:
Don't be bobbin your head up and down , might be open season on prospectors 8)

Seriously , good luck mate and hope some gold comes your way soon

Cheers

Hey there Ned.

I am close to you and have the 4500 with a 17 x 11 nugget finder mainly. I would start out with what Wolfau said, set back to factory presets and go from there.

Do you have the 2 Jonathan Porter dvd's... they will help..

cheers Wayne

I just bough a gpx 4500 yesterday from Maryborough and did the training day and wow I'm impressed, I had an x-terra 705 and on the gold fields with the mineralisation no good for me, but the gpx what mineralisation well worth the extra cash. sorry to say I didn't find any yella but a lot of lead shot and small bits of steel :( but still had fun learning the new machine.
If your just starting out I would highly recommend the training day really pointed me in the right direction before that I had no idea!
A big thanks to the guys at coiltek for a great day and all the advice. :)

You've got yourself the right tools for the trade with that 4500 and the gold won't be too far off. Huge difference with the upgrade from the 705 and now you'll gain the confidence to know not much within range will elude you. The first bit will be the hardest, but the following ones will soon follow suit.

Best of luck with it and don't forget to post up some pics of the pieces that will soon be unearthed.

Wal.

Thanks wal and gt, Lets hope so I'm going to ballart tomorrow might have to make some time to have a scratch around.

Good luck with the 4500 max power. Keep us in the loop how it goes and try and leave some for everybody else :lol: Couldn't agree more regards the Coiltek training days, top class i reckon.

Im about to buy a 4000 or 4500 from Coiltek as well
May I ask what you paid & what it came with?
Thanks

Hi visat it was $3800 and came with battery, harness, control box cover, headphones, double d coil and charging cables and battery lead also give you a training day and a 3 month warranty.

Ok my Wedderburn trip this weekend not really going so well this is all I could dig up before the weather turned on me :mad:
I was also getting a lot of false signals not sure if it was something I was doing or the wet ground?
Oh well till next outing which will be very very soon :p

1436614492_picture1.jpg

Latest posts