Minelab FT 16000 gold detector

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Deano, yes I used new batteries and did a rudimentary clean but will give the electrical contacts a good clean as suggested, and never thought of checking for metal under the coli cover!. With a bit of luck I might be able to get hold of a good GT16000 coil to help isolate the fault.
Stingray, good, glad I could help! Also maybe try a Q-Tip swab (with alcohol) stick for cleaning both the battery and coil contacts.
~There were 4 different Supersearch coils made for the FT & GT16000, 6”, 8”, 11”, and 12” elliptical. I have a good working Musketeer Advantage and a GT16000 that is also broken and I may have a 12” elliptical coil for it in a storage box. These would make good pinpointing detectors with a 6” or 8” coil when used along with a GPX or GPZ if a second person wants to come along to pinpoint and dig. I bought my new GPX 6000 last year and only used it twice to hunt for something and only once so far to try to find gold with it. A young fellow was with me to pinpoint with my X-Terra 70. I got a really loud signal with my 6000 and then we used the 70 to pinpoint with it and it said minus -8 on an about 6 to 8 inch big black rock. I still don’t know if it was a ‘hot rock’ OR ‘meteorite’?? I would like to talk to somebody to find out exactly what minus -8 means on the X-Terra 70?? I want to go check it again as soon as the weather warms up but it is in the middle of winter here right now in Canada and the ground is frozen where I live.

Last edited:
Thanks Deano, yes I used new batteries and did a rudimentary clean but will give the electrical contacts a good clean as suggested, and never thought of checking for metal under the coli cover!. With a bit of luck I might be able to get hold of a good GT16000 coil to help isolate the fault.
My ace 250 went dead and no elecronics in town would touch it, so i wiped the circut board with shelite and then put a hot solder irion on every joint in the circut board and put back together and has worked ever since , so can be a dry joint of solder, this is the last method to try, my white beach comber from 1975 is still working perfectly

Latest posts