Minelab FT 16000 gold detector

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
my name is Darren ,i have just joined , not sure where my last post went so i have a question about a detector that was given to me years ago , it's a minelab supersearch FT16000, I dont know anything about this machine , can anyone comment on it and maybe give some advice on any particular things that I may need to know other than put batteries in and go. thank you Darren

darrenab said:
my name is Darren ,i have just joined , not sure where my last post went so i have a question about a detector that was given to me years ago , it's a minelab supersearch FT16000, I dont know anything about this machine , can anyone comment on it and maybe give some advice on any particular things that I may need to know other than put batteries in and go. thank you Darren

Have a look here you may find a manual https://www.minelab.com/products/consumer/product-archive/ft-16000

Hi everyone thanks for all your help on previous posts . Now i have a FT 16000 in good condition that i was going to give to my 11 year old so he had something to swing when we go detecting but we went to turn it on and no go . I opened it up and there is a little orange circuit thingy that has a little number beside it that is burnt . Can anyone please tell me if they no where i could get it fixed please . Its just to good to throw away and the young fella will get heaps of enjoyment out of it still . Cheers .

I have interest in electronics and used to be a TV repairman 15 years ago
I'm in Melbourne and could probably fix your detector if you could get it to me.

Unless you could find someone similar then pretty sure you be charged more than the Unit is worth to get repaired ( from my experience in the trade )
Good Luck with it though , be nice to find it a new home

Try this place. I don't know if they still do mods &/or repairs but could be worth a call;

Detectormods.com (Australia)
Link Technologies
PO Box 2025
Bakery Hill VIC 3354
Australia

Inquiries
Phone: (+61) 03 5340 0993
Email: [email protected]

Calling hours
Open MondayFriday, 10:00 am4:00 pm;
Saturday, 11 am1 pm (AEST; UTC+10:00)

1530603074_img_20180703_42402.jpg

If C36 is shorted out it may have taken out a Fuse somewhere.
You might try snipping one of the legs of C36 so that if it is shorted , then the path will be broken and the Unit may work or at least light up.
Thats if you can find a burnt fuse.
On occasions those capacitors are there for a reason , but not always essential for the unit to operate.
If you get a Q-tip dipped in water and wash off the carbon , you may be able to read the writing on the capacitor , and get a replacement.
They cost but a few cents

I sniped the c36 but still no go . Will have to take it somewhere to get fixed i quess . Just need to find a place in far NQ.

Can anyone tell me where i can get hold of a circuit diagram for the Ft 16000 i have someone that will have a look at for me but needs the circuit diagram first . Thanks heaps

Hard to tell if it was a ceramic or tantalum cap from this angle, but my money is on tantalum, they are very intolerant of reverse polarity and overvoltage/ripple current.
Any chance the batteries were installed incorrectly? Those old machines wouldn't have had much if any protection against reverse polarity so inserting them the wrong way would certainly cause a tantalum to blow like that.

Maybe contact Nenad, he may have a diagram?? Or some of the modders?? Ishmael, woody??

I'll have a look through all my circuits and see if I have that one.

**edit** just looked. I dont have complete circuit but can tell you that cap is a 22uF tantalum. Those detectors do have fet issues though.

I just tried to fire up an old FT16000 that I was given years ago and no go. About 10 seconds after turning it on you get loud threshold sound that can only be adjusted with the volume, up until then it is silent. Nothing else changes it and even unplugging the coil makes no difference. I thought it might be an alarm that no coil attached but no mention in the manual.

I pulled the coil 5 pin plug apart and all connections look good in there. Tried wriggling wires into coil and no response whatsoever. I tried a GPX 4500 mono coil with same result but I'm not sure if it would work on the 1600 (1600 has a DD) but hoped to get some sort of response. I also pulled the control box apart and no obvious burnt bits like Rusty Dog's, or anything else out of the ordinary. Trying to work out if the coil is stuffed, or the control box, or both? Any ideas?

I just tried to fire up an old FT16000 that I was given years ago and no go. About 10 seconds after turning it on you get loud threshold sound that can only be adjusted with the volume, up until then it is silent. Nothing else changes it and even unplugging the coil makes no difference. I thought it might be an alarm that no coil attached but no mention in the manual.

I pulled the coil 5 pin plug apart and all connections look good in there. Tried wriggling wires into coil and no response whatsoever. I tried a GPX 4500 mono coil with same result but I'm not sure if it would work on the 1600 (1600 has a DD) but hoped to get some sort of response. I also pulled the control box apart and no obvious burnt bits like Rusty Dog's, or anything else out of the ordinary. Trying to work out if the coil is stuffed, or the control box, or both? Any ideas?
1)Did you use ‘new’ batteries.?
2)Then clean all the battery contacts, and also clean both the ‘coil cable’ metal parts where it contacts with control housing and clean the control housing contacts too with an alcohol-based cleaner and paper towel.
3)Check for any metal stuck between your coil and coil cover.

That’s all I can think of.

Thanks Deano, yes I used new batteries and did a rudimentary clean but will give the electrical contacts a good clean as suggested, and never thought of checking for metal under the coli cover!. With a bit of luck I might be able to get hold of a good GT16000 coil to help isolate the fault.

Latest posts