Minelab Detector Repair Advice Needed

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SteelPhase Pat posted this about 8 years ago.

The other thing to check is the headphone socket contacts. One of the contacts will be the part that cuts out the speaker when headphones are plugged in. If that's not making contact properly when nothing in the socket, then the speaker won't work.

Axtyr.

OK. Thanks Axtyr. I'll see if I can check that out.I suppose it's not the end of the world if the speaker doesn't work, just annoys me that's all. Probably not many people use the speaker anyway. I've heard nothing back from Minelab.

Look for round electrolytic capacitors like this;

View attachment 10032

If its been unused look for brown gunk discharged from the base of them onto the circuit board like this;

View attachment 10034

If it had been used a lot then sometimes they bulge at the top.

View attachment 10035

Sometimes the glue used to stabilise the capacitors against vibration ages and becomes conductive causing issues.

Perhaps try to sell it cheap noting it's defect. Someone might want to purchase it as a project.
HiLux, thanks for the heads-up on the caps, very useful info.
Cheers - Mr Tee

HiLux, thanks for the heads-up on the caps, very useful info.
Cheers - Mr Tee
Quite a lot of old electronics from TVs to PCs can be fixed with new power supply caps. Symptoms are usually things like they won't power on or off normally or they act a bit erratically.

Latest posts