MINELAB F1A4 ex military metal detectors - tips, settings, questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Troopy said:
AU man
I have a stock standard F1A4 would like to upgrade but I don't know how to pm you to get an idea on cost and time, your help would be appreciated
Karl

You can use the email function on left of screen, over 10 posts is required before the PM function is available to you.

Hi Guys,
I have the F1A4 level 3, with 2 coils,the Detech 8 inch ,&Detech 18x12 inch eliptical mono. What other coils if any do I need. Thankyou, John

If those coils run well on it, you just about have your bases covered. Make sure you can run your coils in "Fine" "Tiny" gain up to max, check that the detector is still responding in ch1 and ch2.(just purely a test, you most likely won't be able to detect like this) If either of the channels go quiet, then the coil is most likely not suited to the machine. Some are, some aren't.

One coil that is proving to be a good all rounder is the 12" Evolution coil. Very sensitive on the smalls and still punches deep. However for the really small bits <0.2g I still think the Sadie has the edge, but over .2 and the evo is in an element of it's own.
The settings used below were:
Timing: General
Frequency: Tiny
Channel select: Both
Gain: Around 3'oclock or more depending on ground noise and emi.
The areas targeted were pipeclay heaps and wash. The above settings most likely won't work on highly mineralised/variable ground. You would at minimum need to back the gain off.

Over Easter I went back to a spot that I have been over many times in the past with different coils, different detectors, settings etc. It's a bit like my proving ground. While I didn't find any gold this time round, I did manage to find a button on one heap that I have been over that many times it is not funny and it was a very obvious signal. And another heap I had been over just as many times gave up a belt buckle, once again, quite an obvious signal. I then moved on to another nearby spot that I had always driven past thinking I should have a crack in there one day. There was a bunch of wash(practically no mineralisation in it) beside the creek, brought down the hill from the diggings for processing. Started checking it out, noticed a recentish dig hole, so checked out the spot, cause you just never know what others leave behind ;) Well, there was nothing left, so continued on my way. About a meter and a half away I got this nice gentle whisper from a target. Scratched around and took about an inch off, still there. Eventually after digging down approximately 14" the target popped out. I was thinking, bugger this is going to be another rusty piece of poo. Anyway, sifting though the pile I had the target in hand. Was a nice 1.16 grammer :D In disbelief of the depth it came from, I sat it back in the bottom of the hole and waved the detector over it, sure enough, I could still hear it!
1461071381_1.16g.jpg

And the hole it came from.
1461071360_hole_for_1.16g.jpg

So, I got all excited, started detecting very thoroughly around the spot, when I got a signal under a fallen tree. Shifted the tree out of the road, dug down to be greeted by a bit of rusty steel. And then another and another! I managed to weave my way in past all the junk to find the nugget! Anyway, stayed in the spot and checked out the diggings up on the side of the hill and found a few small bits.
1461071429_a_little_bit.jpg

1461071456_another_bit.jpg

1461071988_the_easter_haul.jpg

No personal experience with one here, but from what I've heard, still a very decent machine. If I couldnt afford an sdc, I'd probably choose the f1a4 or it would be in the list at least. Used by military in the beginning, they are sensitive enough to pickup the tiny steel firing pins on landmines. There's a couple on the forum here who use them and should be able to help a lot more with info

G'day , Rhino rt. If you click on the magnifying glass symbol on the top tool bat and type in F1A4 you will get tons of info. I have one myself and being a bit physically unwell haven't been "bush" with it but it tests quite well around the yard. Have a read. If you are looking for gold this is probably the most inexpensive way to get into the PI detector field. My thoughts are that if the army thought that they were good enough to us to save men's lives then they are a pretty good unit. With the mods available -up to lev3(I have a lev2) - they perform quite well. In fact I don't think I have heard a complaint about one yet.
You are looking at $2500 at least for a modded one.
Jaros :p

Hi everyone just recently joined forum just handed my F1A4 lev 2 in for level 3 upgrade. I know what they've got but has anybody heard anything about performance or has anybody used one.

Hey Mate,

One thing that needs to be carefully considered for the level 3 is the coils you intend to use. To get the most out of the performance that the level 3 is able to provide, the coils have to be very "tightly" made, in that they need to be really spot on.
The only coils I now can confidently recommend for the level 3 are the Nugget Finder Evolution coils.
The earlier advantage coils are good, but can be a bit hit and miss as to how well they will work on the level 3. There is a test procedure in the instruction sheet for the level 3 which explains how to test if a coil will be good or not.

If you're looking for other users of the f1a4 level 3, check on Facebook, there are several closed groups that get to talking about these machines.

AuMan

Hi auman I've got nugget finder advantage coils 25" spoke 18" spoke 14" by 9" 8"by6" Sadie and 15" buy 12" commander should I sell all of them and get evos and if so I wish I was told this beforehand .More cost upgrades are not cheap at this rate i could have bought a new detector.

I'd be trying them before selling, there is a pretty good chance all of those NF coils will work. I'd be surprised if the commander works though, once again, try it first.
Worst case scenario, the detector settings should be able to be wound back to that of the level 2 and they all still work as they did, just some might not work in "tiny" frequency.

AuMan

Hi all got my detector back was having a hard time trying to work it all out so gave Mick from detectronics a ring the man who does the mods he invited me to his house and took me to his test patch to show me how to use it in the pouring rain now that's commitment to you product!

You got the right one then mate.I've only got the mod 2 but gunna move up to the 3.is the signal any sharper than the others I noticed my sisnal isn't as sharp as I would like :)

Definitely sharper using evo 17x13 now getting .3 of very sponge gold at nearly 4"s would not hear this peace at level 2 at 2"s tried it.

Latest posts