Minelab Eureka gold tips, settings, questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
promo said:
Hi guys, does any of you have any experience with eureka gold from minelab? Seems that everyone is using gpx5000 or similar, it makes me feel that I am using a child toy compare to that. I am prospecting around bathurst not for long and so far I found lots of nails and scrap metal. The eureka finds tiny nails in 5" deep but no gold :( Any help or info would be appreciated. cheers

G'day promo,

The two best nuggets I've picked up with the 5000 so far would've easily been found with any VLF detector. Both in the half gram range and only a maximum of two to three inches (or five to eight centimetres) in depth. I'd love to have a decent little VLF handy at times. There's definitely more pro's than con's to having both machines in your kit.

Have a good read around this part of the forums (or the actual detector model section) and you may find some interesting info.

All the best out there and good luck on the hunt!
Shauno.

Hi Argle,
That is great information on the Eureka, I am about to buy a Eureka for my first detector so I have been reading this thread with much interest.
I am from Caboolture QLD and I like to know if anyone knows of someone that could teach me hands on about detecting in general, I would be willing to pay for a lesson or 2 so that I could get the basics of running a detector right from the start.

If anyone comes from around the north end of Brisbane and are willing to show me some of the basics and set up for the Eureka please let me know.

David

Good to here some positive comments ,and someone who has scored some gold with the eureka ,so you think it is a good machine. I have one tried many times ,lots of junk found ,but no gold :(
So I will keep it ,and try again.maybe you could help me out and pm me each setting on the panel .maybe I need to start out again.

Cheers Varts..

Varts said:
Good to here some positive comments ,and someone who has scored some gold with the eureka ,so you think it is a good machine. I have one tried many times ,lots of junk found ,but no gold :(
So I will keep it ,and try again.maybe you could help me out and pm me each setting on the panel .maybe I need to start out again.

Cheers Varts..

The lack of gold finds is not in any way reflective of the Eureka, I think you will find exactly the same issue with any gold specific VLF, they are all capable, but just so much more challenging than a PI detector to find gold with.

I just finished watching a you tube clip of some guys stripping back the gravels on a dry creek bed to detect the bedrock crevices. They ended up with a few slugs using a GMT, another spot that the Eureka may prove good in. :)

Thanks fellas ,I think I will lay off the gems for a while and dust off the old eureka .
I can feel a bit of the old GOLD FEVER c'mon on :D

No prob finding junk of all sizes,must study some gold areas a bit better,and do a few test runs with some different size bits of gold.

Hi everyone. I would like your opinion on the best detector to buy for searching for gold nuggets.

I have a budget of $1200 and have read a lot of reviews on the internet about a bunch of different detectors available in this price range.

I have used the top of the range Minelab GPX5000 for 3 solid days in Bendigo and found 5 gold nuggets 2 grams and under. I also used a Minelab SDC 2300 which I found to be over sensitive compared to the GPX5000. The SDC 2300 was finding everything tiny including lead shots, 1mm size bits of rusted metal. It did find very small nuggets. I preferred the GPX5000 it just seemed to find things worth digging.

I live in Northern NSW and want to invest in a detector but do not have the money to spend on a GPX5000 not to mention my wife would end my life if I spent that sort of money on a metal detector. My parents have a property which is in gold territory not far from where I live and my father wants to go halves in a detector. Our total budget is around $1200.

What is your thoughts on the following detectors for gold detecting in mineralised ground in this price range

Pulse induction:
Garrett Infinium
Whites TDI

VLF:
Garrett AT Gold & Pro
Minelab Eureka Gold
Minelab x terra 705
Fisher Gold bug pro and DP(i read these are not so good on mineralised ground)

Used PI detectors
Minelab SD 2100 v2
Minelab SD 2200 v2
Minelab F1A4 with upgrades

Go4gold, Forget all of the VLF detectors in mineralised ground you will not like running these detectors since you have been using PI detectors. You did not list the new Whites SPP PI detector. I would of thought this detector fits the price range for a new buy for you spot on? For a second hand unit i don't think you could go wrong with the SD series detectors, they still out there finding gold. Good luck with your new purchase. :)

I actually wrote that then edited it out because i realized go4golds post could be better as a post of its own. But some how it still got posted, sorry about that Eureka Gold owners. :)

the eureka gold great detector. Have found much gold with this machine, remenber to back of the sensertivity. Minelab site has an old video but a good one watch and listen it helped me. BIG AL ps. my wife now uses it,(with much success) :lol:

Bigal, Good to here you have found gold with the Eureka. This will encourage a few eureka owners to persist. What would be your favorite frequency and coil combo Bigal. :)

I have just bought a Eureka and I have been out practicing in the back yard, having out it the field with it yet so yes that would be interesting to know what you use as your favorite settings and I guess what not to use is probable just as important :)

Hi all , I just purchased a Eureka gold , ( in the post as we speak) and am wondering what are the "must have " coils for it ?
Was reading a previous thread on here , ( ARGYLE had a lot of good info ) but still not sure of exactly what coils to get .

I'll be mainly running round creeks and hopefully take some trips out west NSW when time permits .
I was reading the the stock elliptical isn't too bad for the shallow small stuff , the 6 inch coiltek goldseeker a bit better , but is the coiltek only good for shallow depth ?
Places that have them for sale don't really elaborate on what KHZ they are , and I am a complete newbie , so don't know for example that if I buy say an 18.75khz coil , if it can also be used to any effect on say 6.4 or 60 kHz ?

Also wondering what coil to buy to get maximum depth out of the eureka gold , and if it would be handy to have both the 6 inch and 15" coiltek in the arsenal.

There are not a lot for sale that I can see that say " for the eureka gold " so wondering what coils are compatible that say they are for other models .

thanks;

Any of the Eureka 4-pin coils should work on any of the 3 freq on the Eureka. However, certain coils will work better on certain frequencies.

The stock 10x5" coil is a good all-rounder, but isn't submersible.

The 6" Coiltek works great in 60 kHz, and seems to run more stable in this Freq than the stock coil. It is also fully waterproof

Other coils available are:

11" round Minelab Goldsearch - this is the best coil for the 20kHz freq in my opinion.

There is the rarely seen 8' Goldsearch too, which is very similar in performance to the stock coil, but runs a bit smoother in mineralisation, has a touch more depth, but isn't quite as sharp in the signal response. These were the stock issue coils on the XT17000. When the XT18000 and Goldstriker came out, they had the 10x5 ellipticals.

Lastly, the 15" Coiltek coil. I haven't used one of these so can't really comment on it's performance.

Nenad

Dirtdemon said:
, so don't know for example that if I buy say an 18.75khz coil , if it can also be used to any effect on say 6.4 or 60 kHz ?

I think you might be getting confused with x-Terra series coils, where the coil is of a certain frequency. These are different technology and not compatible with the Eureka Gold.

Thanks for the info Phase ,
Yeah the coils I had seen advertised of specific kHz , for example the goldseeker XT I had thought the XT meant for the X-Terra series , but was unsure if the coils for the eureka gold where frequency specific , or could be used over all frequencies and that that certain coils worked better on certain frequencies than others .

the 6" does sound good , as I plan to search around creek areas where there may be water present .
The 11" inch coil does sound good and probably would be the coil I would use more frequently up the dry creek sides .
And hopefully someone would have a suggestion on the best 6.4KHz running coil to get which I would probably want in the kit also to get as deep as the machine can go in future trips out west .

thanks mate ;

Latest posts