Minelab Eureka gold tips, settings, questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Biggest issue I see when modding and or repairing is that the wiring fractures at or just inside the strain relief.

This can happen after one or two flexes or not for months....

Cause:

When the wiring is glued / potted / set in the coil, there is little if any slack in the actual wires at this point...

People see the strain relief and think... Great I can Bend and Flex and it is all protected...

WRONG. Physics comes into play.

When you flex and twist a cable with multi strand cores it etc and flex and move and twist within the inner and outer shields.

Outcome:

When the Outer Shield and or Inner Shield is is glued / potted / set in the coil; then it is like a vice and all flex stops... This is good, but also BAD.

Hence depending on how little flex/movement is allowed; when you bend the wiring at the coil it will PULL at the point where there is NO movement and generate a weak spot. Over time the stands will break and one day = Totally OPEN CCT.

I have been able to repair a couple, but prevention is better than the cure.

Action:

When warping your lead etc, do what you can to;

• Leave a section from the coil with enough slack, that if you flex the coil. [/*]
  • So that the lead can move and the Strain Relief is NOT BENT FLEXED. [/*]

With luck this may assist people in better management of their Coils and less down time due to damage... :lol:

Good advice here! Have had my 11" DD coil die after extensive bush bashing. Much more careful not to get my coil cable hung up now.

nuggetino said:
Good advice here! Have had my 11" DD coil die after extensive bush bashing. Much more careful not to get my coil cable hung up now.

YEP...

A hard yank can do it as well....

I have fixed a couple but does not always look so nice as one has to cut into the coil and the potting mix... One wrong move and you cut/damage other wires...

End product works, but may not look as good or neat as a well looked after one.

just got mine coil back they replaced the plug all good now but the road to the gold is blocked :eek:

Hi all,
The Eureka is a much underestimated detector and I don't know why many talk ill of it. My wife uses one, though she is new to detecting and has not found a nugget yet, I have tested the Eureka on many soil types and nuggets that I have and have come to the conclusion that it is a far better detector than my old Tesoro Lobo,that in its day had found a lot of gold for me.

The Eureka Gold is one of the best VLF's that I have used and its only a matter of time before I will be putting some of my wife's finds up on the forum :)

Cheers

When I ran an FT and for a while an XT 17000 I found the 11" coil dramatically improved the machine in mineralised ground, ran quieter than the stock 8. The XT 17000 with it on in 32khz was fantastic and kicked the FT's butt on bigger gold. In theory it shouldn't have as higher freqs are supposed to be better for smaller gold, but in the real world out detecting the XT on 32 kHz killed it by a couple of inches. I never noticed any difference with the battery, it wasn't on a Eureka, but don't see why it should be any different from the FT or XT. In the end I only used the 6" for small gold in areas where it was more prolific or a lot of trash to get in amongst the junk and the 11 in highly mineralised ground for nuggets.
I haven't tried the Eureka with a 11" coil but reckon the 11" coil on the highest frequency could be surprising.
Go4gold.
From your list for PI id go for your list of used PI's.
VLFs', Eureka and get an 11" and 6" coil.
Used PI, SD2200 and an 18" coiltek DD. What an awesome combo that was in its day! :D

"4 solid days at Bingara around undetected old workings with my eureka , 40 degrees every day, 4th day late good signal in very hard ground, I'm down 6 inches and the signals getting stronger what have I got here, 2 more inches and still louder, getting excited and then I found it, 6 inches of 1inch by 1/4 flat bar, DAM DAM DAM how does something like this get down that deep in very old ground. I'm going back with my newly ordered 11inch goldsearch coil because I can't believe there can be so many old workings and no gold that my Eureka can't find
Braggy

Ahh, bad luck. I was reading and anticipating a late nugget :)
The 11" coil works great in 20 kHz and slow track. Smoothest VLF combo in mineralised soil.

Had the same problem twice and discovered that the wires at the control box end connector were broken, I paid the freight to send my coil back to S.A. Minelab and they fixed it free of charge and returned it within 5 days can't ask for better service than that can you.
Braggy

Hello all

Newbee here, i too have a Eureka Gold
I went out for the first time with it yesterday Whroo area and found nill so far just playing with controls and getting used to sounds etc.
does anybody live in the Melbourne eastern suburbs that wants company share cost on field trips etc. as i am getting real keen on this hobby.

I have ordered a Amp from VKTek solutions to see if this helps on the weak signals as well.

Nice to chat with you guys

Buggsy

Hi Buggsy,

I'll be picking up my Eureka Gold early next week! Looking forward to getting out with it as currently I'm just panning and using a highbanker I made.

I'm free most weekends and some Thursdays and Fridays. Quite often head up to Warrandyte, Daylesford and the General area of the Golden triangle and sometimes Jamieson area.

I'm planning on heading North West to the Golden Triangle next weekend. Let me know if you want to tag along. I have a dual cab ute with tons of room.

Cheers

Dave :)

Fellas...this has to be one of the best discussions of this kind on any site; anywhere.

Steve H. had a link to here and I can see why. On too many discussions the crapola that is written beggars belief.

Thanks to Argyle, AU Fever and Bob also. I cannot emphasize enough the relief I feel reading sensible, accurate and cogent instruction that has been gained by experience.

I had a serious case of heartburn with a couple of products (a detector and a pinpointer) made by a company who's name I will only identify by only writing their initials. Garrett Corporation. Holy crap!!!

Having trashed one of the units and am trying to sell the other; and I can understand people's reluctance to not buy one of these particular detectors...I am now looking at getting into a better position of detecting. I'm about to test drive a Eureka on and around the Clermont area here in Q'l'd; as I'm only about 80ks from there.

I know I'm going to sound carping and repetitive but thanks again for the heads-up on this particular unit. Though I'm still very drawn to the TDI Pro Oz Series and have been reading some very good raps on that also. So time will tell.

Good hunting guys.

Not sure if I mentioned previously, but the B&Z booster/speaker combo works a treat on the Eureka Gold (as well as XT17000/18000, Gold Striker and FT/GT models).

I supply these with a longer curly cord as standard, which allows you to mount the speaker on to your waist belt or harness, and then the speaker can go up closer to your ear.

The internal speaker is well away from your ear, and has a very quiet output, requiring you to increase the threshold control very high. With the booster, you can drop the detector threshold down (not too low so the threshold is breaking up), back the Sensitivity control a touch to smooth it out, and then crank up the booster. On a faint target this gives you a big difference in audio output.

If anyone wants to see the difference, let me know and I'll do a quick video to demonstrate.

Cheers

How much for one of these devices, please?

What is the coil that comes with the EG that is about 8x5. It has the brand: Minelab and on a label: Goldsearch 1000 on the label on the coil.

The stock 1000 Goldsearch is a 10x5".

$184 for the booster, speaker and curly lead.

1420281852_bampz_n_speaker.jpg

1420281872_bampz_close.jpg

Sorry brother I don't know your name.

Give me a couple of weeks and I'll order one.

Further to the coil, is that coil going to do good work? If not what kind of coil should I get for the EG?

Best regards....Robin

Robin,

The stock coil is a good all-rounder. The 6" Coiltek goldseeker is sharper on tiny bits and works great in 60kHz.

The 11" round is good on bigger bits and works great in 20 khz....provided a GPX hasn't been there already.

Just stay away from bad hot rock grounds.

Nenad "Gone Beepin" Lonic :)

Hey guys I've read this post and am just blown away with the information I've gathered but I see a few different views and ideas what works best with this machine etc. I'm looking at purchasing one of these Eureka gold detectors. Now I'm completely new to detecting and have been told these machines a great beginner machine. The other thing I'm a lil confused about is you guys are all talking bout different kinds of coils and stuff for this machine.

1. If I was to purchase this and really wanted one coil that I could play around in almost anything? Then what coil should I look at? I noticed a lot centred around this 6" round coil not elliptical?

2. The other question I'm curious about is if I did get one of these is there anyone in Sydney or a group that does some kind class or a one on one run through with these machines? Like I said I'm completely new and have only ever seen a detector lol

Sorry if I have asked a question already here but reading this thread has given me an information overload

Latest posts