Minelab Eureka gold tips, settings, questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trying to understand the khz meaning is the biggest
issue For those new to the hobby face.

The higher the frequency the more sensitive it is
to small Gold. A 60khz setting for example will ping
tiny tiny nuggets Where a low khz such as a 4.5 won't
detect these tiny nuggets.

A higher frequency will also ping tiny bits of foil.

Bury a silver coin at 9" and the best frequency that
hits silver Hard is a low frequency such as 4.5khz.

So the question you need to ask yourself is what
targets Will i be hunting for?

Deep silver? Go with a very low khz setting.

Need something sensitive to tiny gold then go high
Such as 20 to 60khz.

Here is a link that will help as well.

http://www.minelab.com/aus/consumer/knowledge-base/minelab-technologies

Hope this helps and makes more sense.

I bought a Eureka a few weeks ago, so I went out today into the field for my first real test today..well I can report that I mainly had in the 60KHZ range with the standard coil, I think I had it set up ok, as Argyle said no mosquito buzzing with these and I tried to maintain that, sadly all I found was two old steel bolts..anyway more practise and I will go and buy the 6" coiltek and the 15" Colitek I think asap..
It was a fun to today around Jimna,I had a bit of panning and some detecting..all I need is an area with some Gold... :)
David

Yeah thanks wolf , had sort of worked that out through reading threads on the forum here , just trying to work out what coils to get to cover " all the bases " so to speak .

I noticed most run several coils for different scenerios / tasks , and so far have decided that the 11" minelab round would be good for starters to get a bit more depth than stock , and run a bit better in lower freq such as 20khz as phase mentioned , and would like the little 6" round for running higher freq to get a bit better performance than the stocker and with the added benefit of better better water repellant .

and when money permits getting a larger coil that works better down at 6.4 to take away on trips where getting as deep into the ground as the eureka allows is beneficial in that area for decent finds .

Thanks wolf , cant wait to get the eureka and get out there , it sure is a learning curve trying to get the best setups for different areas/conditions.

Yeah Fox the 6" and 15" are definitely on the cards , though I might steer toward the 11' round goldsearch phase mentioned first to get me a bit deeper when running it at 20khz.
was looking at the 6" first , but might persist with the stocker when running up at higher freq. for the time being and look toward the 15" when getting closer to be able to get away out west for a decent trip .
Best of luck finding some good areas mate , I guess that is phase 2 after getting the setup right is to find areas to make the most of it !!

Thanks mate

Hello Dirtdemon and Fox351
I spent the first 12 months or so working with the stock elliptical coil. I ran it in all frequencies and found it satisfactory while I was learning. I found lots of trash but no gold. My understanding is using it in 60kHz is good for small shallow targets. 20kHz will give you more depth on larger targets and 6.4 kHz is used when looking for large deep targets. For the stock coil Argyle and others have said its optimum efficiency is 60kHz. I buried different sized lead targets at different depths to try to test this idea. From my test I thought that 20kHz was the best general search frequency as it found all targets but in 60kHz the signal was louder on the small shallow targets but it couldn't find the deep target. I thought 6.4 kHz gave the best signal on the deepest large target but gave a quieter response or even missed some of the small shallow targets.
I added an 11" round goldsearch and a 15" to my kit later on. I now mainly use the 10" elliptical in 60 kHz on quiet mullock heaps. For general searching between diggings etc. I usually run the 11" in 20kHz. The 11" is sensitive to small targets also and covers more ground. I have found quite a few slug gun pellets and shot using the 11" coil in 20kHz. I have also had some deep digs for horse shoes and bits of pipe and old pennies, so I think it is a good general searching coil.
The 15" running at 6.4kHz comes out occasionally looking for large deep targets but it can be a bit frustrating to use, as it is an open coil and tangles in sticks and stuff very easily. I haven't used it a lot as a day detecting with this coil is hard because it is quite heavy. Also it is suited to fairly open conditions with reasonably clear ground.
As I understand the coils can run in any frequency it is just that they are more efficient in in one particular frequency. 18 months on I haven't found any gold but I am still keen and enjoy my time detecting. I was happy with the one stock standard coil at first but now I enjoy being able to change coils to suit the task. I haven't added the 6" inch coil yet as I figure the stock coil fills that roll but who knows what Santa will bring? I hope you enjoy using your Eureka and I wish you you good luck in the learning experience.

Cheers Bob.

Find some thin perspex cut it and attach to the bottom
Of coil with plastic ties or see if you can find a coil cover
thats closed That fits your coil this way twigs don't go
through The coil. Might be an idea to visit the detector
store With coil and see if something fits with a slight mid.

Wolfau
Thank you for the tip. I have some polycarbonate sheeting about 1mm thick. It's tough and should do the job. It is easy to cut and I could easily make a top piece and bottom piece to close out the spokes in the coil. Thanks again for the idea.

Cheers Bob.

bob said:
Wolfau
Thank you for the tip. I have some polycarbonate sheeting about 1mm thick. It's tough and should do the job. It is easy to cut and I could easily make a top piece and bottom piece to close out the spokes in the coil. Thanks again for the idea.

Cheers Bob.

Your welcome. Just stick it on the bottom its all you
Need to do.

Good luck with it.

Thanks for the reply Bob , yeah I think over time the 6 , 11 and 15 will all end up in the kit bag as money permits , was a nice surprise to get home from work today and see that the Eureka had arrived , so now let the learning and fun begin ...

Pretty keen on getting the 15" first , but the 11" might end up getting the start , decisions decisions ... :lol:

Yes great tip Wolfau, thanks, yes I hope to get out this week if I am real lucky, not sure where I will go for a swing, maybe up around Gympie or Kilkivan, just got to be careful around Kilkivan these days they don't like us to much around those parts.. :(

Fox351 said:
Yes great tip Wolfau, thanks, yes I hope to get out this week if I am real lucky, not sure where I will go for a swing, maybe up around Gympie or Kilkivan, just got to be careful around Kilkivan these days they don't like us to much around those parts.. :(

Your welcome. Just do what works for you.

This is the best time of the year to be out and detecting.

Good luck with it.

:mad: :mad: hi all HELP my eureka gold metal detector when you turn it on it just screams doesnt matter what i do has anyone had this trouble :mad:

Have you tried replacing the batteries with brand new high quality ones? Otherwise, check the connection from the coil cable to the control box for broken pins then make sure it's secured reasonably tight (not too tight though). Also make sure you're not too close to large metal objects, i.e. cars, fences etc or anything that could cause a high level of EMI.

Are you using a coil cover? if so, take it off and test again. Otherwise if there's no obvious damage or faults I would take it back to the place of purchase as suggested above. Let us know how you get on mate.

no other coil but you move the connection to the box and it stops so thats what it is back to minelab

Latest posts