Minelab Equinox tips and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bogger said:
All good and hope it goes thru for you................ spoke with dealer last night and have just about clinched a good deal :Y: ;)

Thanks.

Deed is done... Sold the 800 the other day and bought a 600 today. After I left the detector dealer, I stopped at a park a few blocks away for a quick swing on the way home and found $14.30 in about 10 minutes (but any detector would have found these coins - pretty much on the surface.) Then stopped at another on the way home for a total of about 20 minutes for another $9.05...

... so I'm slowly on the way to paying it off. I nearly have enough for Detrack's set of covers.

Wally I would love to hear of some nuggets being found, I.e. Size and depth as I don't think that it would be anywhere near the sdc but I stand to be corrected.
Cheers
Mackka

Mackka said:
Wally I would love to hear of some nuggets being found, I.e. Size and depth as I don't think that it would be anywhere near the sdc but I stand to be corrected.
Cheers
Mackka
I dont think it would come close to the sdc Mackka , it might challenge the gm1000 in right conditions , but having used the sdc myself it would be a superb gold machine to knock the sdc of its perch . I have not had any experience with the gm1000, just what I read in online when detectorists that have done comparisons between Nox and Gm.

I am of like mind the SDC is an unrivalled weapon..........but the review done by JP would indicate it has more potential than would seem obvious.

With a little luck I might be able to give it a crack on a New England goldfield over the weekend for a couple of hours, although it will be hard not to swing the SDC and leave the NoX in the car. The pressure of only a couple of hours on a new goldfield may be too much for me, I have already put the 5000 back in the cupboard to avoid that temptation, but cannot leave the SDC at home.

My true test will be when I can get back to hill end and go over some iron-filled areas I have taken gold from and walked away from due to oxidisation frustration.

I hope you get out Wally as I love reading your reports. Speaking of Hill End, has anyone heard from Balmain Bob?
Thanks also to Danny13, I am also of that opinion.
Regards to all
Mackka

Wally69 said:
A few more thoughts on the NoX

Havn't had much time to get into some solid hunting time, but the following review thoughts come to mind

- this NoX can be used to cherry pick a high trash area, or completely sterilise the top 12" of ground
- by retracting the shaft fully, the NoX is light enough to hike into a remote beach and climb sandstone escarpments without thinking negative thoughts about its weight.
- some extremely trashy areas that have produced some excellent 705 pre decimals were proven as virgin patches. One spot that I have covered half a dozen times produced predecimals at depth and some small fine silver jewellery :D this particular area still has in the order of a couple of thousand targets per square metre, so will be a great learning spot for trying various settings.
- extracting Gold in trashy areas is my biggest conundrum, the ID responses for some of the good stuff matches the ID response for some of the bad stuff. I believe the NoX has enough setting control to be able to get the machine to 'talk gold', unfortunately I don't have any sovereigns to play around with, so I am still digging my way through to enlightenment.
- I havn't played with the settings a great deal to date but using prospecting mode on dry sand was an interesting experiment that I will try again. I found that with a super fast swing rate the loud squark of a target or small squark of a in-proximity target was useful for low use beaches. In that situation, the odd bobby pin or bottle top is a welcome indicator of activity and enabled me to concentrate on a higher activity areas.

These are a few targets found on the way to my first Holey dollar.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1916/1520115860_image.jpg

Agree with the conundrum on the goldies.....i have found it better at separating the dollar coins from trash the deeper they are and using 15hz. Frustrating this arvo as cans, bullet shells and dollars in the same id meant for lots of digging - lucky not a sensitive area. Hope more tips come in as people find them out. encouraging the depth i have found about 20 bucks so far - i mute the sound on all but 20/21/22 id's when just going for 1's and 2's. looking forward to testing the gold mode in a month or so on an area the 7000 and sdc can't operate because of the amount of volcanic hot rocks.

Stru said:
in saying that i just went out and found my record goldies from one 5inch hole! 4x$2 and 2x$1's

Gee that is a good dig Stru, got to love the 1 and 2 dollar bread and butter finds. I splashed out again today and grabbed a 600 nox for the young bloke so he can follow me on the wet sand instead of staying on the dry with the 705. We better find some goldies now to pay for detectors lol.

Cheers Stru

Makes me wonder if it can discriminate out basalt.

.........got to love a good coin spill :cool:

Stru said:
i figure if basalt gives a constant id then you should be able to silence it out...hopefully the id is different to what your looking for!

It'll be interesting to see how you go hope it's for the better.

Well the 600 is not an 800. No matter what.
The extra 300 is not JUST for headphones and gold mode.

I don't like always wondering WHAT IF, I would rather have the extra features just in case then not have them at all.
But in saying that.. each to their own.
And $300 is still $300. Especially if the $1000 is already too steep for some.

Personally, I would rather wait and save a bit extra and get the 800.

dirtdiggin said:
PhaseTech said:
Good way of looking at the 600, except us Aussies are very into our Gold :cool:

https://www.findmall.com/read.php?107,2428814

I've got my 600 today, so will give it a run on the beach tomorrow.

Any Particular reason for not getting the 800? As we all know you love chasing gold.

Personally after reading the comprehensive report by Steve I reckon if I already had an SDC wouldn't be bothered with the 800 ................ for beach work from what he says the 600 does what the 800 does for the beach :Y:

dirtdiggin said:
PhaseTech said:
Good way of looking at the 600, except us Aussies are very into our Gold :cool:

https://www.findmall.com/read.php?107,2428814

I've got my 600 today, so will give it a run on the beach tomorrow.

Any Particular reason for not getting the 800? As we all know you love chasing gold.

Simply because they were available. I've got plenty of high freq units for the goldfields with more appropriate coils, so my main interest with the Equinox is for wet sand and shallow water.

If and when some smaller/solid coils become available for the Equinox I'll be having a closer look at its gold hunting abilities.

hAyyoUinAU said:
Well the 600 is not an 800. No matter what.
The extra 300 is not JUST for headphones and gold mode.

As I understand it that's pretty much about it, besides the ADVANCED settings, which give you finer control over some settings.

Is there something else I am missing?

PhaseTech said:
I've got plenty of high freq units for the goldfields with more appropriate coils, so my main interest with the Equinox is for wet sand and shallow water.

Basically the same reason I "downgraded" from the 800 to the 600. And with the left over $330, I can buy the waterproof headphones, a set of covers, and a few other odds and ends.

Latest posts