Minelab Equinox tips and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You seem to have slotted in with the Eq fairly easily waliy69 :Y: Great stuff mate. If i,m to be honest i've actually struggled more than i thought i would :| Only been home an hour since heading off 7am yesterday to pick it up :rolleyes: i need to have a little sleep before reporting, but i will say right up till a few hours ago it was going on ebay this morning :eek: :lol:

Secret Squirrels said:
but i will say right up till a few hours ago it was going on ebay this morning :eek: :lol:

that sounds like the old "hype vs reality" scenario starting to kick in..you can rest assured you are not the only one thinking like that..after the honeymoon of the release day is over, they will start coming up for sale all over the place..the one glaring factor showing up in everything shown so far is the jumpy id's making (for me personally anyway, as a coin hunter who likes stable id,and stable id at depth,which i get from my etrac,deus and impact)it pretty well an afterthought..whats the use of a deep, fast machine if you have to guess and roll the dice to work out what the target is? might as well dig everything (and like OLDGT says, theres reasons some of us dont want to dig it all :) ) and go hunting with a pi.. look, it is what it is, its a 1300 dollar mid range detector and a decent upgrade for the xterra series, it certainally hasnt "made all other detectors" oboselete, according to the (obviously)delusional minelab pr guy who coined that term for it :rolleyes:

hAyyoUinAU said:

:cool: Saved me from trying to find my timber ruler :lol: goldies were greater than 6" but as I was trying out a water sieve it takes chunks out of the holes, so not sure.

I take that test result concluded; similar to the XP, with a slight edge. Prospecting mode benefits still unknown although I found that if I slipped it into prospecting mode on the beach over a target, the difference was remarkable, sort of like pinpoint mode on steroids. Want to play around with this a bit more. Impressed by the 1.2g gold nugget, should make trashy goldfield campgrounds an interesting proposition. I also see on a US forum that a 6" and 15" coil will be available, is could make life interesting.

Thanks for the comments guys, think my review commentary is over and will have to graduate straight to a finds thread as it is a good fit for me.

Tally so far: $5, a bottle of thankyou wine and a smile of satisfaction.

So which beach are you thinking for this arvo Wally? I hit North Curly this morning soooo, probably not much left there, it was packed and closed with huge surf, everyone was mainly just lazing on the sand. I did score a ring, in front of GF too. :) Manly could be good? We can take my car if needed as I have a Northern Beaches parking permit. :Y:

Now, important question, should I put the 11 inch coil on for some comparisons or leave the 17 on for an all out, mad swinging frenzy treasure hunt? :D

anton said:
Secret Squirrels said:
but i will say right up till a few hours ago it was going on ebay this morning :eek: :lol:

that sounds like the old "hype vs reality" scenario starting to kick in..you can rest assured you are not the only one thinking like that..after the honeymoon of the release day is over, they will start coming up for sale all over the place..the one glaring factor showing up in everything shown so far is the jumpy id's making (for me personally anyway, as a coin hunter who likes stable id,and stable id at depth,which i get from my etrac,deus and impact)it pretty well an afterthought..whats the use of a deep, fast machine if you have to guess and roll the dice to work out what the target is? might as well dig everything (and like OLDGT says, theres reasons some of us dont want to dig it all :) ) and go hunting with a pi.. look, it is what it is, its a 1300 dollar mid range detector and a decent upgrade for the xterra series, it certainally hasnt "made all other detectors" oboselete, according to the (obviously)delusional minelab pr guy who coined that term for it :rolleyes:

Well, I really don't think that's a fair write up until a few detecting sessions have been completed. I find quite a few goldies as well and I reckon the Nox will be deadly for goldie hunting. There are no perfect detector ID's with so many variables at play. I reckon it has made single freq detectors obsolete to a point, I'd want switchable freqs now on any VLF and running multiple simultaneous frequencies is a killer feature.

Can't please everyone with features but I think minelab have done a great job, I'm looking forward to seeing Wally's in action this arvo.

Heatho said:
So which beach are you thinking for this arvo Wally? I hit North Curly this morning soooo, probably not much left there, it was packed and closed with huge surf, everyone was mainly just lazing on the sand. I did score a ring, in front of GF too. :) Manly could be good? We can take my car if needed as I have a Northern Beaches parking permit. :Y:

Now, important question, should I put the 11 inch coil on for some comparisons or leave the 17 on for an all out, mad swinging frenzy treasure hunt? :D

Mate, if I had one, I think I would be running the 17 on the beach to get that burried gold myself. Seems to be a successful combo you have going.

Is my 11 as good as your 17 is the first hurdle, are the 11s equivalent is a fairer test to see if there is a clear performance winner. Regardless if you are prepared to stoke the performance debate, so am I. ]:D

I'll drop over and we can make a call from there - 8) surf bling or harbour bling - too many choices :cool:

No worries, decide then. I haven't hit the surf beach for a couple of weeks so it could be very good as it would have been busy. Last few times there I did quite well. Anyway mate your call when you get here.

Regarding performance between 17 inch and 11 inch coils on the CTX I think they both have very similar depth, ground coverage is the big advantage in my opinion, I wouldn't be surprised if the Nox 11" nearly matches the CTX for depth, so whether I have the 11 or 17 I don't think there will be much difference between the 2.

Just a question.

Is the jumpiness of the ID a natural consequence of a fast recovery rate?
Does pinpointing get a better ID?

HouseholdDog said:
Just a question.

Is the jumpiness of the ID a natural consequence of a fast recovery rate?
Does pinpointing get a better ID?

I believe so, my thoughts are, an ID will vary based on how far off dead centre the target is when the response is sent to the screen, double the speed = double the points of ID determination. I believe it is also extenuated if the target is irregular in shape or angle. With the 705, I could approach a target at various angles and read that it was likely to be a ringpull as I would get jumpy IDs.

Think the NoX is rapping rather than talking to me at the moment. Just need to adjust the speed of my listening to suit it.

Wally69 said:
Don't mind being the detecta-cab at all, although ditching family commitments appears to be a deal breaker. Don't think I am winning the debate on what defines a priority in my household.

Will be in touch

My Family and health issue of a few mates etc are NUMBER 1 and will be weeks b4 I can spend some real time with the NOX.

#. Can not power the NOX on at home... Anywhere in the yard or street it just goes mad, regardless of Noise cancel.

#. Made up an excuse and hit a local trash park. Quite as, in the park. I guess too much RFI and crap about my place.. Not unlike turning on a Gold machine LOL.

#. Tried a few settings and changes... Will take some time as I am in-tune with the 3030, and trying to separate crushed screw tops form good targets was not working for me. I get use to checking the 3030 screen for splatter and tightness... And even with the 50 tones, I could not hear what I was expecting LOL.

#. Punches Bloody deep and that also meant that I could not dig / recover any number of targets.. Do not dig in Public parks.

#. Like the 3030 get a screamer and lift the coil.. If you are still getting a good TID and the coil is a good way up in the air = CAN or other such trash.

My gut tells me that the NOX will be my wet sand/wading machine AND the 3030 will be my main dry land machine. The Excal for deep surf and snorkeling. Will have to see how the NOX runs out at Warwick etc. as that is hard country and any thing less than a high end gold machine fails...

anton said:
Secret Squirrels said:

You are right anton, it was the "hype vs reality" scenario. But in reality you needed to read the entire sentence especially the part i've highlighted ;)

So, in the interests of those sitting on the fence, those waiting on the arrival of their machines, and the sake of a good story, i will start from my arrival at miners den Adelaide.

Upon receipt of the Equinox i asked Shane if i could unbox and put it together in the shop so i could begin the charging process on my travel home. If i was able to get it fully charged i wanted to try a 100+ year saltwater swimming enclosure to determine if the site warranted a return visit due to the distance from home.

When unboxing, my immediate impression was a quality product, I found only a couple of minor annoyance factors with the package. firstly, the armrest padding is identical to the exterra 505 and really needs to be addressed at some future stage. The padding works away from the armrest from contnually placing your arm in and out whilst detecting/recovering, perhaps bevelled edges on the padding would relieve this issue. Secondly, i obviously wanted to charge on the way home and although it is understandable that an in car charger is an accessory, it should have been made available to purchase immediately :N: I was fortunate to have a jaycar store nearby and purchased a high speed car charger and suitable adapter so i could still use my navman as well. I also purchased a high speed in wall adapter as i noticed this is not supplied or available. As i said, minor annoyances, but it would have really peeved me if i didn't realise this before going home :| .

Ok, so i get to the water hole and the charging light stopped blinking 5 mins after arrival :) Approx 3 hrs with the more expensive high speed chargers :Y: When viewing the quick start guide supplied i mumbled some choice words as to M/L being overtaken by the chinese. I couldn't read the instructions as they were in a foreign language, :lol: :lol: Duh, should have looked a little harder, sorry M/L :8 So from memory (reading the manual the night before) i vaguely recalled i only had to noise cancel and no need to G/B unless there was excessive noise. :rolleyes: The machine was impressively quiet :Y: and very easily controlled sweeping underwater, but i found it very difficult locating and extracting the targets when pinpointing in the black swampy murk that appeared and stayed every time i dug :mad: ( this will improve with experience) I came away from this highly dissapointed in the difficulty and also the amount of actual targets responded to.

After arriving home i unpacked put the headphones on charge, paired them (easily) and was impressed by the quality of the item, response, and comfort/fit.
once completely re reading the manual i headed out about 11pm to the old school site (play area) a minute down the road, i had only detected here the once for a good amount of pennies and silvers, so i was sure there would be more for the EQ. This area is mostly grassed so i used the screwdriver, however the ground was so hard i bent it and reverted to the slit method. once again the ground was to hard and it was difficult and messy retrieving pull tabs,screwcaps and brass/ copper plate at 4-6 inches (the only signals), so once again i headed off disappointed.

Next i went across the road to the old main oval site which is a huge area and has a mixture of grassed and dirt areas. i was able to use the small digging tool here :) after 3 hrs i had only retrieved a 20c surface coin and non ferrous junk :( this is when i was threatening to sell the *&#@ thing on ebay tomorrow :mad: :lol: ]:D I was thinking the 505 was obviously good enough to leave nothing behind for the EQ, how wrong i was :eek: It dawned on me that in all my years detecting, be it gold or relics, ground balancing had always been a crucial part of setup, then why was the manual saying not necessary? So in desperation i found a clear spot and pumped that machine until it settled on a number :p As soon as i took the first swing i noticed a distinct difference to the talk of the machine, i also zoned straight on to thrippy at 7 inches ]:D :party: :rainbow: within the next hour and a half i had retrieved every coin and a charm for the night and finally went home very very satisfied with my purchase. :Y:

the end result will be in my new thread "squirrels EQ finds", even though it was such a frustrating day and night, you can't pay for the kind of experience i gained in my first day with the Nox. ]:D Thank you M/L for what will undoubtedly become a very valuable tool in my arsenal. Money well spent :rainbow:

Regards, and relieved, Reg.

I'm impressed with it. Wally found a target and asked me to ID it with the CTX, unimpressed with the signal I proclaimed "junk" and wandered off. Wally didn't have a clue either what it was but it was a solid signal so he persisted and got 20c for his effort and it was deep, in salt water. I was surprised to say the least.

At the end of the hunt I found a 10c coin, unmistakable on the CTX, I called him over and said "ID this one mate", he did and got it right too after only his second hunt with it. It wasn't deep but was quite immediately recognisable to him.

Anyway my impression is that the discrimination is not great, such as totally eliminating beer bottle tops without affecting other good targets, but the target ID's are good and with practice should easily ID the trash from the treasure with a few passes of the coil. The depth is impressive to say the least, he was digging some deep targets, it is light but a bit nose heavy, with the 15" coil that's coming it could feel a bit off but nothing you won't get used to, not such an issue really.

I think people are going to do very well with the Nox, it punches well above it's weight I reckon. Minelab have created a highly functioning detector at a very decent price. It's not a CTX killer by any means but it is a huge step up from the Xterra range and not far off the CTX in some aspects and could exceed it it some aspects such as reactivity/recovery speed and sensitivity.

I'm pretty sure I'll get one just for no ther reason than it's something different. My shoulder is aching from the CTX with 17 inch coil after 2 hunts today. That is reason enough for me to buy one anyway, long hunts with less fatigue. :Y:

Keen to see it goes in trash parks.

What more can I say........... I purchased the NoX to go where my 705 could not go, and it did

Heatho and I went to a part of Manly beach that I recall seeing some Victorian era photos of dainty events with ladies in full dress socializing on the beach. Today the dress code was far more inspired by Brazilian attire.

No foreign coins but the NoX honed in on a band of erosion deposited coins within the wet sand zone, an area the 705 struggled with stability. With a bit of pinpointing the target IDs became stable and the call of 'dig me .... dig me .....dig me....dig me" chirped in the wireless headphone. Bloody deep holes, just shy of one and a half feet deep, but unmistakable against a quiet threshold.

Down to the surf.... the wind whipped up a big swell, so the shore surge was very powerful and I had trouble standing up at times.

Keen to see how the NoX performed, I worked the shore line chasing the waves out and picked up my first signal, deep and a deadset 11.

After 15 waves and a wet arse, the target was out :D job done :party:

1518949942_image.jpg

Well the field reports haven't disappointed :Y: great feed back. For me I'm a green horn with coin and treasure machines based on the reports I'll save a bit more coin a grab one. Thanks everyone it's been interesting to say the least reading all the comments and I'm convinced it's the right machine for entry level.

Latest posts