Minelab Equinox tips and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Minelab's big sell is that the Equinox Multi IQ tech will 'obsolete' all single frequency detectors. I'm interested to know what you experienced prospectors think of that claim?

im looking forward to hear from coin hunters (before i drop my coin on one ), especially how it goes with goldies and trash being in the same 1 TID range..come on guys! :) get swinging :)

Had the chance to pick one up today....I was weighing the pros and cons over in my mind at work all day after the call to say it was available. In the end I talked myself out of it for now, but the fomo was strong with this decision.

I ended up reasoning that if it's as good as I think it will be I can wait for some balanced feedback. The cost won't change between now and waiting. The whole target scale has me second guessing if the Equinox is really going to replace my current detector. I can cherry pick the goldies atm with few troubles and I remember the frustration I had with a 705 once that melded the TID of goldies... Regrettably I'm going to be that guy that was jumping at the new offering then getting cold feet at the release.

1968falconxt said:
Will someone hurry up and post a review!!! The suspense is killing me...
1518764583_img_0390.jpg

I'm hearing you OldGT I'm keen but have chosen to wait for true field reports from those I consider worth reading their detail. If I do go ahead with a purchase it might not even be an Equinox.

Look when all is said and done it has many advantages. Multi frequency (better on fine gold and silvers), light (er), USB charge, waterproof, new detector warranty (3 years), beach capable, wireless capable, tones etc. It's tick tick tick for everything I want to upgrade over mine, but this segmentation is at the wrong end, the one thing I love about what I currently have is stable goldies tones that have a clear distinction between $1 & $2. Yes I still have trouble with caps, and a flattened aly screw top has every chance of being dug up currently, (especially those jack Daniels caps ) but do I really want to outlay $1299 on a machine where the advantages only help in certain conditions, and my bread and butter hunting may become less accurate?

I'll definitely have to have a go side by side with in ground targets to tell me if that shortcoming in the Equinox is something I can live with. Why oh why did you do this to me Minelab?

I'm like you RM before the announcement of the Equinox I had narrowed down to potential detectors I wanted (based on mine and others experiences) and for now at least in theory they are all still contenders.

Wally69 said:
Ok.....the real reviews start now

Equinox Review #1

The professional communication and expeditious delivery is matched only by the packaging that makes the product appear even more valuable. :D :lol: :D thanks Nenad :party: :rainbow: :party:

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1916/1518766523_image.jpg

Yeah funny about that ....................... he's like that to deal with. :Y: :Y: :Y: :Y: :Y: :Y: Always my first go to for both purchase and unbiased info :Y:
There are a few waiting with baited breath you know Wally :lol:

Even the CTX does not give a clear distinction between $1 and $2 coins as they can both be 12-36 when on side 12-37 12-38 12-39 and even 12-40 unless sunbaking and this is squashed bottle tops every day of the week as its round and the tone sounds the same as a coin. I think you boys are expecting a $1300 machine to be better at IDings coins than a CTX or Deus at almost twice the cost. The Deus is the same 85 86 87 and even 89 but again squashed bottle tops are in this ID range so if you chase goldies you must dig squashed bottle tops and I am not sure why this is a concern with the Equinox as all it has to do is be better than the 705 at its price point.

Equinox Review #2

First impressions:

:D compact handle/screen combo
:D straight, easy to assemble, disassemble 3 piece shaft
:eek: same foam sticky on armrest as 705 that catches on your sleeves during winter, prematurely falling off making you curse that someone should have come up with a slight mount recess in the mass produced extruded plastic handle and/or bevel the leading edge to the foam
:D bigger coil than the 705, should cover more ground quickly
:D good balance and should be able to swing all day
:D two USB charging cords, same for wireless unit and detector
:rolleyes: will need to modify my practice of leaving it in my car with a spare set of batteries.
:rolleyes: maybe keep one in the house, one on the vehicle, or get a USB cigarette charger
:eek: no wall sockets, cheapskates assume you already have one, in fact 3 as wireless modules also require USB.
:rolleyes: pause, as I ponder where do I get a 3 socket 2A USB charger from
:D oh, shown on minelab accessory list. :mad: not included....seriously
:brokenh: darn, wife has phone on charge ]:D she won't notice
8) where is the manual :D A4 folded thick card version for dummy's operation instructions provided
:party: :rainbow: :party: full version on PA forum link
:D nice sturdy headphones, very comfortable
:D coil weight should make it sink in water, unlike the SDC that tends to float
{) looking at the blinking charge light affectionately

:N: having to wait 4 hours to give it a test :Y: at least there is a spare set of instructions included for me to brush up on my Russian while I wait.

Overall - impressed with my new arsenal.

Light and Salt water... A big sister to the CTX3030.. But with my learning skills; it will take me a few months b4 I feel up to commenting on how well it functions VS my user skills LOL.

That being said my first mod and now I can use the CTX3030 Koss or GGA on the NOX.

Handy have a lathe and some dies and bits of stuff around.. Then again, when working on the Excal's you need to.

1518772174_2018-02-16_19.00.27_medium.jpg

1518774423_402a7613-f3a7-4562-bdb1-1371fafdc639.jpg

1518774423_cdfc1fbc-58b0-43d4-a1b6-65758a08a4b0.jpg

1518774423_7797e303-b83e-459d-b462-40083c5e0288.jpg

USB charging the equinox at the moment , headphone I wont charge and just plug it in due to my menchant to loosing things. Interestingly all the ctx coils do fit the equinox , dont expect them to work but will try them in the morning just in case when the eq is fully charged . The waterproof headphones will be sold at a later date. There is a bigger coil to be released soon. The Knox is definately light. For the price its looks good so far. Testing in the field will determine how good it is.

Hey guys.

I have been lurking this thread and just ordered an Equinox via eBay.

Just thought I should let you know how I got it for $1169.10
Instead of full price.

You just need to order it off eBay via the shopping cart and use the code "PRONTO" to get a discount of 10%.

According to the voucher site the code lasts 3 days.

There is 1 left on eBay now. I bought one.
The store is a Minelab dealer so it all looks legitimate.

Hope this helps. :)

By the way you can use the code on 2 transactions.

James

OldGT said:
this segmentation is at the wrong end, the one thing I love about what I currently have is stable goldies tones that have a clear distinction between $1 & $2. Yes I still have trouble with caps, and a flattened aly screw top has every chance of being dug up currently, (especially those jack Daniels caps ) but do I really want to outlay $1299 on a machine where the advantages only help in certain conditions, and my bread and butter hunting may become less accurate?

Sorry, have to ask OldGT, whats the benefit of knowing the difference between $1 and $2 coins? Do you only dig the $2 coins?

HouseholdDog - Top suggestion on using the ebay code! Wish I'd thought of that! Looks like the dealer is from Tamworth. I guess every dealer was given a handful of detectors and the demand in Tamworth is obviously pretty low. I have to drive 2 hours to pick mine up whenever it arrives and paid full price.

Latest posts