Minelab Equinox 800 tips and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Retirement Stone said:
Understand this........

Doesn't matter which detector you buy or how much it costs.

It's the operator at the end of the detector that has to spend many hours using it to learn its language.

If your not very resilient or open to learning, you will always blame the detector.

I ve learnt this lesson. The more time you spend with your detector the more it will teach you.

Go forth Son and find that elusive Gold Sovereign!!

Cheers

RS

God how nice would it be to find some gold sovereigns haha :D .Yeh very true you definatly need to master your machine .

It's an amazing machine for the money. I found a tiny 9k gold chain 8 inches down in a trash infested park, the kind of place they run over the aluminium cans with the mower and spread it everywhere.

I'm probably going to get shouted down here but the detector matters a lot in these kinds of situations, if the detector isn't capable the best detectorist in the world won't find much. It opens up area's and depths you can't hit with lesser machines. THEN it's up to the trained ears and persistence.

And because you got the 800 it's got gold mode, which I used to find some small gold in in the WA goldfields. I can't wait to get back out there (will be with a GPZ as well) and try it out with my 6 inch coil around old workings.

You've bought a good machine, get out there (just not the places I go ok? I don't need the competition!)

Time on any machine is worth the effort, the you learn about how to make the machine do what you need it to do the better the result. Add to that learning where the best chances of success are going to to come from.

95% of my hunts are in everyday areas with typical soil. Its not that hard to hunt the top 8 inches where the vast majority of finds will be found, doesnt matter if you using an aldi or a deus or something in between, most of the treasure is going to be accessible.

Whenever I start to believe my own hype about how well i know what Im doing Ill see a video tip or some info from another shooter, or try a bit of tweaking something new comes to light to add to the ability to make them do what I want to do.

Perth Tim said:
It's an amazing machine for the money. I found a tiny 9k gold chain 8 inches down in a trash infested park, the kind of place they run over the aluminium cans with the mower and spread it everywhere.

I'm probably going to get shouted down here but the detector matters a lot in these kinds of situations, if the detector isn't capable the best detectorist in the world won't find much. It opens up area's and depths you can't hit with lesser machines. THEN it's up to the trained ears and persistence.

And because you got the 800 it's got gold mode, which I used to find some small gold in in the WA goldfields. I can't wait to get back out there (will be with a GPZ as well) and try it out with my 6 inch coil around old workings.

You've bought a good machine, get out there (just not the places I go ok? I don't need the competition!)

Haha no probs tim :).Im really excited to use it to be honest .I used to have a ctx but was just too heavy for long detecting sessions and i never really got on with it .Not just that but the 40khz i can see being very useful when looking for gold and stuff on the beach .I kinda agree that you do need a decent metal detector .I first had a xterra 705 and it was no where near as sensitive on things like the ctx was and the discrimination had alot to be desired .You just cant compare a basic machine to something advanced like the ctx or the nox .

If you are still looking to improve the nox, jump on the 6" coil :perfect:
So much better for gold hunting. it reduces the chirping and you can bump up your sensitivity a bit higher so you dont lose any depth.

Only downside is the slightly reduced search area, but just means you have to swing it a bit more over the area :Y:

Nox really needs a smallish elliptical coil, preferably solid, something like the Nokta Makro 7x4" coils, but as the 6" already exists, something bigger would be nice, say 8x5"?? Even just use the Gold Monster coil housing.

For more mineralised soils, Gold Mode 2 and 20 kHz will give the most stable results and some usable punch. Also, avoid the temptation to turn down your recovery speed to gain depth. It may just work against you. In a certain spot with reactive clay, I found anything below 5 was hopeless.

Danny13 said:
ctxkid said:
buy a CTX , leave it in auto , it does it all for you :eek:

turn on , balance and walk :cool:

doesn't get easier :inlove:

actually CT , you dont really need to ground balance the ctx if you dont want to

Not on benign ground Dan but The Kid is out in a goldfields area.

Has anyone found gold with a CTX :playful:
Tried to find information but seems to be nothing.
Plenty on the Nox though {) :lol:

Was going to add a couple of things but the OP turned up for a single day then never returned.

Without furthering the settings discussion the Nox is only good for small gold, unless for some miracle you happen on a chunk that noone ever waved over or dismissed as junk, and the milder the ground the better.

Forget TID or youll be wasting time, Ive found that small iron chips ring up near the same range as tiny gold at times and vice versa.

And youll need the patience of a saint. Even in not too mineralized ground you could throw 20 pieces over your shoulder behind you and be lucky to find 15 again, but its certainly capable if you put the time in.

Ive done a Monster vs 800 test a few times, often wondered how the Eureka would have compared although Ive never used one.

But for gold purposes the Nox 800 is pretty damn good on gold jewellery, despite Mrs GTs protests Ive tested it more than a few of her fancy items a few times in different ground, if it was in a park or not too deep on the beach its very cabable.

Smoky bandit said:

Yes mate a few people have used it to find nuggets. Can't remember one blokes name that wrote extensively on his but it was a good read, will post some links if I can find them.

Heatho said:
Smoky bandit said:

Yes mate a few people have used it to find nuggets. Can't remember one blokes name that wrote extensively on his but it was a good read, will post some links if I can find them.
Cool Thanks mate.

Smoky bandit said:
Heatho said:
Smoky bandit said:

Cool Thanks mate.

Here's the thread I was thinking of dedicated to CTX gold on Detector Prospector forum Smoky, it's a pretty good read.

https://www.detectorprospector.com/forums/topic/797-ctx-3030-on-gold-nuggets-tips-on-settings/

I found some small gold with the 800 around old workings where they were loading the carts to take ore to the batteries. I'm keen to try it again with the 6 inch coil as recovery was difficult using the 11.

Heatho said:
Smoky bandit said:
Heatho said:
Smoky bandit said:

Cool Thanks mate.

Here's the thread I was thinking of dedicated to CTX gold on Detector Prospector forum Smoky, it's a pretty good read.

https://www.detectorprospector.com/forums/topic/797-ctx-3030-on-gold-nuggets-tips-on-settings/
Thanks mate :Y:

Retirement Stone said:
Understand this........

Doesn't matter which detector you buy or how much it costs.

It's the operator at the end of the detector that has to spend many hours using it to learn its language.

If your not very resilient or open to learning, you will always blame the detector.

I ve learnt this lesson. The more time you spend with your detector the more it will teach you.

Go forth Son and find that elusive Gold Sovereign!!

Cheers

RS

I'm a newbie at this, but would still have to agree. I've been using a $5 garage sale detector for a while, and have just picked up an equinox. The $5 unit I'm finding more with atm.. only because I'm used to it.

Exactly mate,

I suspect the nox will have a more complex language, but after hundreds of hours use you will master it.

Good luck

Cheers

RS

Latest posts