Minelab CTX3030 tips, settings, questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As far as I am concerned, every detectorist should own a 10x5 coil for their machine. Super useful in the trash. Sure as heck wouldn't use one on the beach though! But that cut you are working Nenad is prob chock full of all sorts of crap so I guess its ok!

Ben78 said:
As far as I am concerned, every detectorist should own a 10x5 coil for their machine. Super useful in the trash. Sure as heck wouldn't use one on the beach though! But that cut you are working Nenad is prob chock full of all sorts of crap so I guess its ok!

Yes or a 10x6 as in the whites range :)

PhaseTech said:
Hey guys, a few incorrect rumours in this thread. If you want accurate info, I'd suggest you talk to Trevor @ Coiltek Manufacturing.

I was advised by the guys at miners den. That's why I said apparently.

Hi All,

Am new to the forum, new to metal detecting and brought my first detector a CTX3030 about a month ago, and the weekend just past, brought a pin pointer.
This has been my first 4 hunts all together in pics and no more then 20km from home planning to venture out further soon. when time,work and money let me.

Lots of junk :eek:

1---20c 3---5c 2---1c 1948 Australian Half penny Australian Military Forces Button
4---10c 1---2c 1964 Australian penny 1954 Australian Shilling 925 Silver ring

1411475266_022.jpg
1411475297_20140923_215854.jpg

Thanks. Am hitting the beach this weekend with the misses as long as low tide is during the day. Get your self a pin pointer not cheap I know but really comes in handy its made my life so much easier and detecting more fun.

Cheers.

Northoz said:
I am looking at pin pointers on eBay at the moment,budgets a bit stretched after buying the 3030 though.

Maybe check out the Deteknix xpointer, PI pinpointer that is both good for beach and land detecting. Lots of good reviews lately and very affordable. Google them to see the reviews and you tube clips

Australia Distributor

115 Kent rd Wooloowin 4030 Brisbane Qld Australia, [email protected], Mobile: 0431 815861, Contact: Mark

Has any one any idea or info on the following. Yesterday I detected an area and found that the CTX was picking up plenty of interference and whatever I adjusted, the interference continued. When I located a target, I put the detector onto the ground and without moving it it chattered non stop. To locate the target with the pinpointer, I had to turn the machine off. When I raised the detector into the air, it still continued the chattering. I was using it with the Wireless headphones. It continuously picked up ???? signals
I changed the wireless channel , tried different modes and sensitivity but nothing helped. I went to another area and all was well and the detector worked perfectly
There were no obvious power lines around but there was a very tall radio tower but it would have been around 300 meters away.. Could that have been the answer??

Trev111

No idea but my first thought would be check the batteries, cable connections, electro magnetic as you mentioned could be, but I have never had that problem before. Try just turning it on and using in a known safe place and see if you still have the problem ?

I think you've just answered your own question .. emi . Try a few other spots . or see how far away from the tower you can use your detector . Is the wireless headset wifi or blue tooth. Did you try your supplied ctx headset to see if that makes a difference

I have had similar issues in some areas with the explorer, tried manually changing the frequency and every other setting with no luck, I had to walk away in the end. Those EMI issues were caused by buried power cabling and a nearby transformer box. Ended up coming back to the same spots with a single frequency VLF, with no apparent issues (G2).

You can lower the sens and/or run a smaller coil, but yeah - losing battle sometimes.

Different times of day help I've found 4.30 in the arvo seems to be a hot time, and sometimes just getting your back to the signal coming through can help. Try early morn or later around tea time to see if there's a noticeable difference some emi can't be canceled out.

Have had similar dramas with the at pro in close to the cbd area of newie some days good some bad . Was that you at a park near there yesterday as seen someone with 3030 pick & shovel?

Yeah definitely emi, probably some underground power cables or something. Trev, did you try changing Noise Cancel channels manually?

If all the above fails clean the coil. You might have trash between the coil and coil cover.

Latest posts