Metal Detector Mods

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think most mods are suited to older machines that have been around for a while and have been seriously superseded, kind of like kitting out a VW Beetle to get off the mark as fast as a stock 911......doable for a price.

With detectors like the F1a4 that were designed specifically for switch and go, but can be tweaked to give the user a few more options, settings etc i'm all for it. Just the Ground Balance button, the coil connector and the headphone jack are technically mods - allows the user to fit modern accessories.

The stock machines were going for under $600 last year, so were a good entry level with no real downside....mod pricing was the issue.....if you spent $1250 on the mod then why not just buy the gp3500 instead. However if you got the same mods done for $650....well hard to find a PI of that calibre for $1300, sounds and feels like any other PI Minelab so allows a different market for weekend prospectors who just cant justify the big spend yet.

I can now control the threshold, gain, tone etc on my machine and have a few search setting options.....small gold, general and deep settings. I now have a true gold detector, while its not the bees knees, it is certainly capable without the pricetag. Im sure id currently get plenty of offers on my machine above what i've paid for it, so that's the type of detector that warrants modding. My 2 cents

Yeah mate spot on - that's what I was getting at with the "if you start spending too much time & money improving your Triton you may as well have just shelled out for the Landcruiser to start with?" comment.
You need to weigh up the cost, risk of having no manufacturer support & what the warranty means to your circumstances, if any, before doing any mods. Manufacturer endorsed modders would be good but then manufacturers rely on selling new models so wouldn't be keen I reckon.
Software updates are a bit different & moving forward with modern technology + machines, should definitely be something manufacturers make available.

I should of explained myself a little more.

If a modded detector costs less than $1500 then thats a no brainer and
I would do the same.

However when your spending $4500 on a GPX then having the mods done
this is a different scenerio due to the higher costs.

I would not think about modding a GPX5000 though but thats just me.

Wolfau said:

I would do the same.

I agree I personally wouldn't mod a gpx 5000 if I owned one ( yet ). But to me there is a market for modifying detectors for people who want theirs modified or do have older ones that can be improved upon. So my point being why don't the manufacturers of detectors jump on board with the idea Instead of refusing to even help anyone with a modified detector.

noncents said:
Wolfau said:

I would do the same.

I agree I personally wouldn't mod a gpx 5000 if I owned one ( yet ). But to me there is a market for modifying detectors for people who want theirs modified or do have older ones that can be improved upon. So my point being why don't the manufacturers of detectors jump on board with the idea Instead of refusing to even help anyone with a modified detector.

In its current state this is too messy. How are these detectors going to be modified?

It all starts in the design process and the design process did not include the ability in
allowing certain make of detectors being upgradeable eg via software or simple dealer based
changes.

If a GPX 5000 can be modified and does work better maybe there could be scope for
an upgraded GPX 6000 though. Who knows..

Metamorphic said:
Using discrimination is the major cause of leaving good gold behind.

Mostly your interpretations of thinking you know whats under the coil before you have dug it, just by the sound your machine is feeding back to you.

Its my bet many have walked over that nugget before, its screamed at them and they have thought....nah, got to be junk at that pitch and volume!

Discrimination is for coin shooters, not gold prospectors....dig everything and dont be lazy.

Just my take! ;)

Why is it for coin shooters and not gold prospectors? It means your efforts can be transferred to more time swinging the coil and digging nuggets. It doesn't mean you have more time to sit around on your ass :)

nuggetino said:
Metamorphic said:
Using discrimination is the major cause of leaving good gold behind.

Mostly your interpretations of thinking you know whats under the coil before you have dug it, just by the sound your machine is feeding back to you.

Its my bet many have walked over that nugget before, its screamed at them and they have thought....nah, got to be junk at that pitch and volume!

Discrimination is for coin shooters, not gold prospectors....dig everything and dont be lazy.

Just my take! ;)

Why is it for coin shooters and not gold prospectors? It means your efforts can be transferred to more time swinging the coil and digging nuggets. It doesn't mean you have more time to sit around on your ass :)

Because discrimination is not a perfect science and at this time the only way to know for sure if it is or isn't gold is to dig. Perhaps in the future a detector with give you an image of the material detected (like sonar or the like), but that technology isn't here in swing mode yet, but I am sure (hope) than some are working on it.

Even then, a piece of wire or lead slug could seem like a piece of gold, so as Meta says, did everything.

Rob

Would like to no if anyone has gpx 5000 upgrade done recently to there 5000 to get there review. As the 7000 is a brick of a detector and is not good for tight areas (only one coil size)and doing the up sides of creek banks etc unless you have Arnold Schnienger arms. :8

Many people reckon the new Coiltek Elite coil & the new Nugget Finder coils will or are closing the gap between GPX & GPZ. Have you thought about one of them? Sounds like other sizes will be available down the track.
Much better option especially if your 5k has warranty left on it - even if it hasn't & needs repairs Minelab won't touch a modded machine & the modders can't fix a lot of issues that may occur.
Wal (WalnLiz) was going to test drive one of the modded 5k's but hasn't posted anything on it as yet. If your not concerned about the cost & loss of warranty it might be worthwhile but I would be looking at someone like Wal (or someone you trust) for an appraisal before I bastardised one.

Done a few tests and have had contact with several other serious 5000 user who have had the latest mod done. In mildly mineralized ground the modded 5000 outshone the standard and held my undivided attention for quite some time. "However"... A check of some stinking hot ground I've done well on in the past, I couldn't shut the machine up and a steady threshold was impossible to achieve.

I'm sitting on the fence re this mod at the moment, and certainly won't be modifying my unit in the near future. From what I've seen and tested, including personal feedback from our You Tube Channel, the 5000 isn't a superseded machine by a long shot, and in my book isn't out of its league when compared to the GPZ 7000 if one looks at the big picture of detecting locations and scenarios encountered within these locations.

No one machine does it all, "Including the 7000", but in the current climate the standard un-modded 5000 together with its comprehensive arsenal in versatility, still stays on top of the shelf as far as I'm concerned. ( My personal opinion only of course). Not saying this view won't change down the track. ;)

The new coils coming out are an option worth considering, but till the new NF hits the market, and I can compare the Coiltek to its competition, I will keep my opinions somewhat reserved. New coil configs are certainly going to improve the capabilities of the older machines, so I hope this research and innovation continues to progress. On a footnote, I'm not overly happy with all the hype over the new NF's changing their coil sizes mid stream and leaving their supporters in the dark for far to long. :/

Wal.

5K is still the King,, All Hail The King

Seriously, It is Amazing what some members can do with the 5K, from Digging Tank Trap Holes to finding Pickers with A Boot Scrape, I can not see the point in messing with the 5K, I think I would be better off Learning what these 5K Samurai's Know then After that buy a D9 and take the Top Off,

Don t no if these new coils are all the rage but at least it keeps nugget finder and coiltek employed . Over the marketing pitch thing :8

pedro65 said:
Would like to no if anyone has gpx 5000 upgrade done recently to there 5000 to get there review. As the 7000 is a brick of a detector and is not good for tight areas (only one coil size)and doing the up sides of creek banks etc unless you have Arnold Schnienger arms. :8

Set you harness up properly and the 7000 is weightless.
Get a new coiltek or N/F and you have the same coil size anyway.

I do up to 2 metres up the creek bank walls harness won t aid you when doing this type of detecting when your detector is at 90 degrees to your body for hours upon end and I get a lot of gold doing this at flogged out ground as most people cannot perform this type of detecting for long periods :8

old hand said:
I think rather than paying $1500 PLUS FOR MODS I WOULD SPEND $450 on a coiltek OR $460 ON a NF new coil regards john :)

Absolutely, And as opposed to Having Minelab Refuse to fix A Machine ever again, If A Person wants to find finer Gold That $1500 would be better spent on A Higher Frequency Machine, Then Minelab are Happy and you are Happy and you have the Bonus of having Another Machine,

And To Save Arguments Tell The Mrs you bought it for Her,

Honey I saw this and Thought of you,,, Oh yeah, Good Books here I come,,lol

pedro65 said:
I do up to 2 metres up the creek bank walls harness won t aid you when doing this type of detecting when your detector is at 90 degrees to your body for hours upon end and I get a lot of gold doing this at flogged out ground as most people cannot perform this type of detecting for long periods :8

Pedro in that case just buy what is fit for purpose, if you need it at all, as "you already get a lot of gold"
If that was me I would use an SDC 2300 on an adjustable monopod.

I havnt used a modded 5k.
My best mate spent last winter in the triangle with a unmodded 5k
He has spent this winter (still there) with a modded 5k
He wished he didn't have the mod......
I love the 5k and with all the coils available will be keeping it just the way it is.

Brutus and me said:
He wished he didn't have the mod......

Hey B&M, correct me if I am wrong but the mods are only extra front end gain and 3 timing positions [mods by Woody]
If you don't use them you have your 'normal' 5k machine.

Latest posts