Metal Detector Mods

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
KIM-MARGARET said:
Hi guys this is great advice we bought a gpx 5000 not even a year ago hubby has been taken in with this upgrade from Woody, as a matter a fact he was only on the phone yesterday with him, going to post it off next week.
Strange thing he never mentioned the warranty he knew the 5000 wasn't even 12 months old.

The other good point that's been made I had been looking at a 2nd hand 4500 for myself, but was a bit un easy about it so was aiming at a new 4800 which I don't hear much about.

I will be going 4500 after reading all the good things about it.

And the 5000 is going no where for an upgrade
Great advice thanks so much guys well worth being part of this forum
Margaret :D

Smart move, also nothing at all wrong with the 4800, its little mentioned because most people 90% go with the 5000..
4800 will do everything the 4500 will, upgraded circuitry etc.. it should.. anyway GL!

If anyone needs any detector advice whether to mod or
Not or the differences between some of the GPX detectors
Speak with an experienced and knowledgable Technician.

This is what i have done in the past.

Wolfau said:

Absolutely!

KIM-MARGARET said:
Hi guys this is great advice we bought a gpx 5000 not even a year ago hubby has been taken in with this upgrade from Woody, as a matter a fact he was only on the phone yesterday with him, going to post it off next week.
Strange thing he never mentioned the warranty he knew the 5000 wasn't even 12 months old.

The other good point that's been made I had been looking at a 2nd hand 4500 for myself, but was a bit un easy about it so was aiming at a new 4800 which I don't hear much about.

Very sound thinking. I have had detectors for many years and have never contemplated any form of non-official modification or upgrade and there are many like-minded people about. There are two firm schools - yes and no. each to their own. I think you will be happy with the standard 5000 and 4500. The audio/amplifier are very good and I see no need for external boosters etc even with bad hearing. Once you have had a play with various audio settings, you will what I mean. The sound booms in, which is a huge leap on earlier MLs.

A key issue also is the peripheries, coils, shafts and the like. Could be as simple as a strap-over arm rest, padded arm rest, hip-stick etc which can make for a more relaxed swing. In summary, factory pre-sets (which you can tweek as you go), standard coils (which you change after some testing), and a standard machine ALL covered by a factory warranty, will make for good and successful detecting.

As I always point out, the Hand of Faith nugget was found with a very early model Garrett VLF - you just have to be on the right spot.

'George', Kevin, found it with a Garrett - its in the Garrett hall of fame.

In the original GG&T article by 'George' - 1981, White's either tried to cash in or it was an honest ad placement that had a Whites ad right next to the article. There is a Garrett's ad under the article as well as a 'Sunny Sandscoop'. Have the original George article in front of me as we speak.

Ah, maybe thats where i got the idea that it was a whites... appreciate the info thanks loamer..

1981.. year i was born.. crazy stuff

Wolfau said:

Ismael Jones said:
"PLEASE THINK VERY CAREFULLY BEFORE YOU MOD A DETECTOR. It may become instantly worthless."

"In my opinion there is no need to mod a GPX model...."

http://www.minelabmods.com/joomla3/

Ismael is honest, experienced & knowledgable.

KIM-MARGARET said:

Good move I wouldn't bother "upgrading" the 5000.

The main difference between the 4800 & 4500 are the 4800 has no sensitive smooth timing, no audio boost & no specific ground balance. Having used a 5000 you will know if these are important to your detecting or not?

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/doc/member-docs/655/1406954820_1387516411_compare_minelab_4500_5000-1.pdf

other than the programmable settings on the 4800 the 4500 is the same machine (in theory) I'd still buy the 4800, price + warranty..

I have never modded a machine, but a gain control on the GP extreme would of been handy. The only reason i didn't mod it was because there seemed to be more negatives then positives in doing so. :)

old hand said:
The biggest trouble with mods is when you want to up grade dealers will not touch them .The only mod I would have done is a tracking button on 2200,extreme and 3000 well worth it and a amp :) regards john

There are many ways to sell a detector and if I wanted a top price for mine I know where I would be selling it.

Wolfau said:
old hand said:
The biggest trouble with mods is when you want to up grade dealers will not touch them .The only mod I would have done is a tracking button on 2200,extreme and 3000 well worth it and a amp :) regards john

There are many ways to sell a detector and if I wanted a top price for mine I know where I would be selling it.

On the forum no doubt :lol:

Sorry for my ignorance as I have not done much detecting yet. I was wondering what sort of mod would you consider for the 5000? I would imagine that if there was room for improvement Minelab would have done the upgrade themselves. I can understand modding older machine but the latest model?

I don't see the variable front end gain substantially improving the capabilities of a gpx. Makes for easier fine tuning but for the price I'm seeing it as a waste of money. I'd rather put the 1500 toward a sdc2300 to compliment my 4500

Beagleboy said:
Sorry for my ignorance as I have not done much detecting yet. I was wondering what sort of mod would you consider for the 5000? I would imagine that if there was room for improvement Minelab would have done the upgrade themselves. I can understand modding older machine but the latest model?

None. Leave it as is..Just use the 11" mono coil and start hunting with it..

I only modded mine because I purchased it so cheap..

The machine only owes me about $1800 including the mod and the mods can be switched off since I sold 1 coil.

If the 3500 cost $3000 or more I would spend extra and buy the 4500 and would not mod it.

A modded 3500 on ebay from a well know prospector have sold for $3200..

Latest posts