Metal Detector Mods

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That was an unbelievable pick up for $1300 - I had actually seen it but didn't really take much notice thinking it would get swooped on late but the seller made a big mistake listing as just "metal detector". Great buying from the bidder (or maybe not - looks a bit suss).

That GP3500 was listed as pick up. I checked the sellers rating and it was positive for the sale.

You don't know who is selling it. It could be a partner who has no idea about it and her hubby or wife has passed away.

Not knowing what it is it was listed as it was to the untrained eye a metal detector.

This is the great thing about us humans, you have the skeptics then you have those that take the chance and its
what makes the world go around :D :D :D

Remember I paid $1800 for mine un modded.

This included a 15x12 Minelab Mono, 450mm DD" and the 11" DD, new battery and new battery cord..

The 15 x 12 was sold and the machine owes me about $1500.

If I sell the 450mm the machine owes me lets say $1300. This is why I modded mine and took the chance.

This topic has gone nuts , and at a good time, im holding a 3500 and to mod or not, some very balanced comments, im prob going to upgrade with slight hesitation. :|

I have seen a few discussions on "is it better to modify a metal detector or not", there seems to be a split in which is better. I think if there is room for improvement than mods are ok. I own a 4wd I have changed my tires, suspension, added snorkel some under body protection etc, so by modifying my 4wd it has made it not only better but safer. So should Minelab, Whites, Garrets etc sell us parts so that we can improve our detectors. Once they sold you a detector thats it no more money coming in but if you have parts and upgrades for sale they make money and we get a improved detector. What are peoples thoughts :)

If the mods are designed and tested by primary manufacturers I'd say it'd be great to have some upgrade options for our detectors. Aftermarket I'd be skeptical about due to the many "experts" that may wind up selling a gimmick that does more harm than good. Upgrading a 4x4 can be done sensibly but when you try to turn your soft roader into a monster truck you usually end up with a cool looking but essentially unreliable piece of junk. I'm not sure there is much room for improvement in terms of depth capability or Minelab wouldn't have dropped PI technology in favour of ZVT. Perhaps improved discrimination capabilities through software upgrades could be achieved? I'd be willing to bet if our detectors had accurate discrimination capabiites that 2.7kg nugget found in Vic recently would have popped out of the ground a long time ago!

nuggetino said:
If the mods are designed and tested by primary manufacturers I'd say it'd be great to have some upgrade options for our detectors. Aftermarket I'd be skeptical about due to the many "experts" that may wind up selling a gimmick that does more harm than good. Upgrading a 4x4 can be done sensibly but when you try to turn your soft roader into a monster truck you usually end up with a cool looking but essentially unreliable piece of junk. I'm not sure there is much room for improvement in terms of depth capability or Minelab wouldn't have dropped PI technology in favour of ZVT. Perhaps improved discrimination capabilities through software upgrades could be achieved? I'd be willing to bet if our detectors had accurate discrimination capabiites that 2.7kg nugget found in Vic recently would have popped out of the ground a long time ago!
The Whites SPP has had mods done to it to improve its capabilities as well as the F1A4 from basic mods to Level 2 mods done to it as well. Also there are some well know modders out there so theres always room for improvement. I can't afford a Landcruiser :( but I can improve my Triton :D (i know it will never be a Landcruiser ) same goes with detectors. :)

Is it the Dues, that has an optional screen? I am all for mods, whatever gives you a better experience, is a good thing.

Using discrimination is the major cause of leaving good gold behind.

Mostly your interpretations of thinking you know whats under the coil before you have dug it, just by the sound your machine is feeding back to you.

Its my bet many have walked over that nugget before, its screamed at them and they have thought....nah, got to be junk at that pitch and volume!

Discrimination is for coin shooters, not gold prospectors....dig everything and dont be lazy.

Just my take! ;)

noncents said:
nuggetino said:
The Whites SPP has had mods done to it to improve its capabilities as well as the F1A4 from basic mods to Level 2 mods done to it as well. Also there are some well know modders out there so theres always room for improvement. I can't afford a Landcruiser :( but I can improve my Triton :D (i know it will never be a Landcruiser ) same goes with detectors. :)
Yeah but if you start spending too much time & money improving your Triton you may as well have just shelled out for the Landcruiser to start with?

mbasko said:
noncents said:
nuggetino said:
Yeah but if you start spending too much time & money improving your Triton you may as well have just shelled out for the Landcruiser to start with?

Hahahah this is so good I'm seriously getting a triton this year lol sorry just made me laugh

mbasko said:
noncents said:
nuggetino said:
Lol :lol: I could get 3 Tritons modified for that money, but you still need some mods for the Landcruiser as well, just like the sdc you need boosters, speakers, adapter cables. Nothing from the factory is perfect thats why there is a huge after market out there for other hobbies and interests so why shouldn't there be more available for detectorists. :)

:lol: I've got a Triton but no interest in "tricking" it out to be a Landcruiser.
Your right doesn't matter what you spend there will always be the extras.
I think there's already a fairly big aftermarket accessories range for detecting now? I'm not overly sold on the value of control box mods on most machines though. Simple mods that work like those for the SPP or early Minelab machine ground balance buttons etc. yeah but the others are too iffy for me. If offered by the manufacturer it would be a different story?

mbasko said:
If offered by the manufacturer it would be a different story?
I totally agree they should offer upgrades if they can't or feel they haven't got the time they should offer companies like coiltek or others willing to a chance of doing mods, you will still be using their brand detector. It's a win win situation we get a upgraded detector they by selling original parts and accessories. :)

I love my xp deus and no one will tell me otherwise.

1 reason is the free software upgrades. Yep it might cost
$1750 though i paid $1500 with an added bonus of it
Being super light weight (less than a kilo) as well but
rather pay the extra rather than buying something at
$900 where your stuck with the Extra weight and no
upgrades. Looking forward to v4 update. This is the
Way in my opinion detectors need to be built.

Would I modd? People are very interesting to say
The least. 2 years ago there was more negativity
In doing it. Now it seems more may be swaying
Towards it.

If anyone Is thinking of investing in a mine detector
and Modding it or modding a gpx think about when its
Time to sell it.

How easy will it be?

I know the Answer because I have been through it.

Buy the best machine you can afford and
Go out there and enjoy it Is what I say.

Latest posts