Metal detecting in the rain

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone gone metal detecting in light rain on wet ground?
Does this affect how the metal detector picks up signals?
:rolleyes:

looking forward to responses...
in my experience, beach detecting with my excalibur the depth increases...

i have detected in the rain and didnt really notice the different - in saying that i normally detect on the beach so there is already water there but i guess it would make the metal more conductive - maybe try putting a coin in the backyard lawn when its dry at depth and see how it reads, then wet the lawn and see how that signal reads

I have detected in the rain and with the soil from damp to saturated, on a recent hunt with Rocket and Dave some holes filled with water as we dug them. Detectors work on electrical conductivity and water is a good conductor so the signals are stronger in my opinion. The copper coins and silvers scream out nicely.

Hi I have detected a lot in wet conditions in the UK, I have found it seems to magnify the signal, I aways found more In wet ground.

We detected for gold in the rain on our last trip out in WA. It was a pain in the arse to dig. The EMI was a real problem and it was really difficult to separate the gold from the muddy soil. It certainly didn't improve the detector performance but it was the EMI that created the problem. Perhaps without the storms it may have been different but it was still much more difficult to find the target and everything stuck to the pick, the spade and my gloves.

With the ground wet and the sensitivity of the detectors these days it can be a pain , but I must say I like detecting a few days after rain when every thing has settled done the water has penetrated and the nuggets seem to give a better signal, I will not detect when its raining I would hate to get so water into the detector regards john :)

Soil becomes more conductive.
However too much water saturates the signal, kind of like high beam in the fog. The high beam being your pulse into the ground, the fog is the mineralization.
Slightly saturated is best, two days after rains is the perfect time to head out.

Love detecting in the rain! I actually look for those rainy days to head out as there's not much else to do.
I don't find ground noise a problem after the odd couple of days rain it's only after persistent rain (i.e towards end of winter) that I get problems with ground noise, especially around wet charcoal.

Latest posts