Mercury Use and Recovering Gold from Amalgam information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Guys.

As long as the gold is still there I am happy.

I think I will leave it alone for now if it's mercury.

:Y:

Fascinating - thanks Stru!

I know when I was very young used to roll the mercury around in my hand - probably not such a smart thing to do. Also used to convert copper pennies into 'silver' pennies!

Mercury can be such fun...

Why does mercury coat gold ? by that I mean kinda crawl around it ? Is it just the amalgamation process or more to do with surface tension or both or some other factor ?

⚠️ Warning - Restricted hazardous chemicals/dangerous goods use or discussion isn't endorsed by Forum Management. Individuals using any hazardous chemicals/dangerous goods do so at their own risk/s and need to ensure their own legislative compliance.
I got about 3/4 ounce of amalgalm that I want to treat. I have done retorts before but am ken of any ways to treat this stuff without getting the mercury gaseous
]:D

Retort is about the only method I know Trev and if done correctly with a good retort there is no danger what so ever and all your mercury is saved.

There is a process for disolving mercury using nitric acid but the process needs a fair bit of chemical / metalurgical knowhow. It also produces nitric oxides (a brown gas ) called red death and the solution is highly toxic as well. You can retrieve most of the mercury in solution by putting a strip of copper in the liquid causing the mercury to drop out of solution and be replaced by copper. I have not tried it as my chemical knowledge is about yr10 level. :awful:

jethro said:
There is a process for disolving mercury using nitric acid but the process needs a fair bit of chemical / metalurgical knowhow. It also produces nitric oxides (a brown gas ) called red death and the solution is highly toxic as well. You can retrieve most of the mercury in solution by putting a strip of copper in the liquid causing the mercury to drop out of solution and be replaced by copper. I have not tried it as my chemical knowledge is about yr10 level. :awful:

Also, its usage in making explosives and rocket fuel, means that buying nitric acid nowadays may get you on to a "potential terrorist" list. ]:D

grubstake said:
jethro said:

Also, its usage in making explosives and rocket fuel, means that buying nitric acid nowadays may get you on to a "potential terrorist" list. ]:D
Bs, alarmist misinformation

Gimp said:
grubstake said:
jethro said:

And you know this because... ;)

grubstake said:
Gimp said:
grubstake said:
jethro said:

Well I was going to ask the same.
Think Brickies acid in Bunnings, think fertilizers in rural buying stores, think school science departments heaps of nitric is sold commercially as well as other bomb making ingredients. Sheet they watching who buys Condies crystals too. 30% hydrogen peroxide maybe but not nitric.
Now can you reference ANY literature to back your myth?

Gimp said:
grubstake said:
Gimp said:
grubstake said:
jethro said:

Well I was going to ask the same.
Think Brickies acid in Bunnings, think fertilizers in rural buying stores, think school science departments heaps of nitric is sold commercially as well as other bomb making ingredients. Sheet they watching who buys Condies crystals too. 30% hydrogen peroxide maybe but not nitric.
Now can you reference ANY literature to back your myth?

Mate, you're adding no value to this thread and appear to be trolling for the sake of an argument. I suggest you do some background reading on the subject, starting with this ABC report from 2013:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-05...ousehold-chemicals-used-for-terrorism/4708948

The Australian National Code of Practice for Chemicals of Security Concern (nitric acid being one of the 15 chemicals specified as precursors to homemade explosives), is available for download in PDF format here:
https://tinyurl.com/y2mba2mx

Latest posts