Men Take Note

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chiron52 said:
I hope the mods will leave this post stand as this topic is very important.
I've added a touch of humour to make this serious subject a tad easier to discuss.

Ummmm, I had a blood test the other day which included a PSA test (prostate). The results came back all good except for the PSA. The result was a bit off.
So my GP (a little Indian fella) wanted to do a follow up primarily the finger.
Now I know there are some folks who comfort, recreationally speaking, with fingers inserted horizontally (or vertically if youre standing up). My tastes however lie in a different direction.
So I was a bit hesitant about having this done to my rather virginal rear end, to say the least. Thus I suggested that if the young lady behind the desk in reception were to apply the finger, I might be a bit more receptive, to which he declined. I mean, she did have such tiny little fingers.
He asked me to drop my trousers and jump up on the bench and after a liberal application of gel to his gloved finger he rammed the digit home.
I did try to relax to make insertion easy but you know . I am a bloke for gods sake.
Well I could joke and say that it felt like he had lost his balance and drove in all the way up to his elbow. But to be honest, it wasnt too bad, just a little uncomfortable.
And he didnt set up camp and stay for a while either. It was all over in a few seconds.
RESULT prostate is a bit enlarged but no sign of cancer. Phew!

The purpose of this post is to remind older members of PA (50+ age) to get a regular blood test. At least annually. And have your GP include PSA and cholesterol too.

Always best to find problems early when their treatable and not wait until too late.

Oh, and it may be easier if your GP is a little Indian fella with small fingers.

Is this you or your missus speaking?! :playful:

Chiron - 4 month follow up. If he had said come back in 12 I would have been booking an appt with another Doc!

Some PSA's are through the roof and it is obvious that there is an issue.

Apparently everyone's PSA can be a bit different around the lower end of the scale and when someone has a very first PSA done it might just raise an eyebrow that "gee, that's slightly higher than most people's 'normal". It is the follow up PSA and the variation from one test to another that is apparently the better guide as to what is going on back there.

I have 3 mates - 52, 58 and 60 - that have all been through prostate cancer and had the radical prostatectomy and experienced all the issues that comes with it. Their stories about their post surgery issues - mamma Mia :eek: :eek: Better than a pine box but jeez! Stuff I'd never heard of.

Glad you're getting a follow up soon :)

PSA is the easy bit... A digit exam is a little old school but does allow for that quick checks as to size. A tad of a worry when you feel it and then notice both of their hands on your shoulders. But as we get older that gland gets larger and that does not always mean the big "C".

While over the years I have had a few broken bones and a torn shoulder RC and a few busted ribs and a few pins AND a couple of bouts of diverticulitis (one perforated), I still thought I was 60 plus and bullet proof.

However the last 12 months has been a pile of crap and had significant impact on my ability to get out to swing or even have a fish.

All I can say is do not leave it until it is too late - get your checkups ASAp and get out and enjoy what you have left as you never know when it will become a pipe dream OR when you will end up with dirt in your nose and ears.

12 months ago I thought things were going well. But since then any number of planned trips and outings have not happened and may never happen. Many things I have thought I would do and get to share with my wife are no longer in the picture. I quit work a few years ago to get things sorted at home and to look and research and plan what we could do in the next 5 to 10 years... Should have just done it !!!!

Liver / Pancreas / Heart / Bowel / Kidneys are a few of the critical ones that will take the sails out from under you; quick smart (I got lucky and scored 3 of the 5 ). Prostrate and a few others will often Not stop you in your tracks.

So get off ya asses and get a FULL medical - Top to Tail. Many GPs will give you a so called full check at 50 or 60 BUT if your serious about your health; Get a REAL FULL medical and include a Stress / Echo and get any suss blood results checked, get a North and South and a good ultra sound of your Abdomen etc.

PS. My wife knows when I am walking up and or down the hallway or stairs as I now rattle. Pills just help you tread water in most cases and do not always cure a problem. I have become a tad fatalistic and maybe a bit close too the Black Dog of late; but my main goal at this stage is to outlive my Dad and then re assess the options.

So do not put things off or think you can do it in a few years; WITHOUT giving your health and or that of your partners due consideration.

Smoky bandit said:
My xterra 705 picked up the rice grain gold they put in the father in laws prostate. :lol: :lol:

Ya what?? :lol:

I've heard of gold injections for rheumatoid arthritis but gold pills in the walnut up the date is a new one. Could be a market there though...there is about 3.7 billion prostates in the world ;)

I'm in no way qualified to give medical advice, but I think that while testing is generally good, it brings with it a responsibility to become particularly well informed about how to interpret the results, which can be difficult when emotionally charged after receiving a potentially malignant result. There is a good podcast episode about this at https://www.econtalk.org/robert-aronowitz-on-risky-medicine/ which discusses PSAs. For a summary, search the page for "illustrate this with the problem of prostate cancer" to find a transcript of the discussion about PSAs, or the "Why do elephants wear green pajamas?" joke for an overview of the broader issue.

1573683604_images_1.jpg

Chiron52
When you say the count was a bit off did the doctor tell you the count and explain what is ok and what is not? This is important.
The count should be low and an increased count on consecutive tests over a gap in time is the first indicator of cancer.
Two of my three elder brothers have had prostate cancer with prostates removed. My two older cousins have had prostate cancer too. This puts me in high risk of it developing in me. No sign yet other than an enlarged prostate which was diagnosed with the finger test at least 10 years ago.
My PSA is tested every year. Im 58 so based on elder brother and cousin experience I reckon Im due for onset in the next 7 years.

Fellas, get your yearly PSA check ups done. It could save your life.

Northeast said:
Chiron, I'm not a Dr but know enough to ask some questions...

Your PSA was a bit askew. And from doing single rectal probe with his finger your Dr has advised you that you don't have any cancer concerns?

Were there any other sort of tests done to come to this very conclusive result?

N.E.

Will second this, there is no way cancer can be detected by finger insertion when checking the prostrate. If your PSA is high get further tests.
Any men out there who are hesitant to have their prostrate checked could be flirting with a lingering death.
Don't take it lightly fellas, Prostrate Cancer, the 4th leading cause of death in Australia.
When I retired 11 years ago my GP recommended a full medical including Prostrate check, yes it was embarrassing, HOWEVER, I wouldn't be sitting here now writing this if I hadn't. Results, aggressive cancer which was treated early and my PSA levels are now a safe 0.1.
Very few know Prostrate cancer only forms in the prostrate and if it escapes into surrounding tissue you probably only have 5-10 years left.

https://www.aihw.gov.au/reports/cancer/prostate-cancer-in-australia/contents/summary

I remember watching Jackass the movie and they did a prostrate exam and found a matchbox car...thought of doing something similar to lighten the moment when I have mine.

The damn male doctor at Lavo hospital has fingers like Fred Flinstone :argh:

Dignit said:
Chiron52
When you say the count was a bit off did the doctor tell you the count and explain what is ok and what is not? This is important.
The count should be low and an increased count on consecutive tests over a gap in time is the first indicator of cancer.
Two of my three elder brothers have had prostate cancer with prostates removed. My two older cousins have had prostate cancer too. This puts me in high risk of it developing in me. No sign yet other than an enlarged prostate which was diagnosed with the finger test at least 10 years ago.
My PSA is tested every year. Im 58 so based on elder brother and cousin experience I reckon Im due for onset in the next 7 years.

Fellas, get your yearly PSA check ups done. It could save your life.

Hi Dignit,
I have a few mates who were treated for Prostate Cancer. All were caught early and were treated successfully.
For the past 20 odd years I have been treated for Crohns Disease. Due to the meds I take I need a blood test every 3-4 months.
Each time I ask my GP to add PSA and cholesterol to the list of tests. This is the first time the PSA has red flagged an increased count.
I also have a colonoscopy every 12 months and I've had a few endoscopy's over that time too .
My GP did not tell me what the count was but did say it was a minor increase.
I've also noticed I pee a bit slower and go a bit more frequently. This ties in with a swollen prostate diagnosis too.
I am 67 years old.

To all you fellas who read these posts and decide to get the test done :Y: You made a great choice, you're legends all.

Wow.

I was pisssing 4 - 6 times a night and picked a woman doctor to get tested for the reasons above.

I was astonished when it went somewhere nice , she said her husband was coming home late smelling like womans perfume.

she paid for lunch.... so I guess she got her revenge a few times.

Pity she went back to India.

Oh and the PSA was normal , I was probably just having too much green tea at the time.

CreviceSucker said:
Wow.

I was pisssing 4 - 6 times a night and picked a woman doctor to get tested for the reasons above.

I was astonished when it went somewhere nice , she said her husband was coming home late smelling like womans perfume.

she paid for lunch.... so I guess she got her revenge a few times.

Pity she went back to India.

Oh and the PSA was normal , I was probably just having too much green tea at the time.

Hi CS,
Thank god for Indian doctors with small fingers, male or female, eh? :Y:
Cheers.

Latest posts