Melbourne Cup Gold

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teemore

One foot out the door
Reaction score
Well I'll be buggered ...... the things you didn't know/learn.

Was very surprised to read this morning about the location of the gold used to craft this years Melbourne Cup.

You know where it came from ????

I sure as hell didn't, but had never given it much thought.

WA, Vic. NSW, NT, Qld ...... all have goldfields that I've heard of and would have assumed that the gold probably came from one of the big mines in WA ....... wrong. Come from a place I didn't even know had a goldfield in NSW.

Seems it comes from ......

Drum Roll ......

WEST WYALONG in NSW ........ apparently they mine gold there ...... news to me (must just be us ignorant Victorians that didn't know - this one at least)..

Cheers Tom

Jaros said:
AND!!!----It's made in Brisbane--work that out.? :eek:

Close Jaros but...
My sources indicate ABC Bullion Co. refinery in Sydney (could be wrong) but as indicated strange that the trophy for Victoria's most iconic event can't be made in Victoria (think it used to be, by Stokes??)

Cheers T.

You blokes have the good weather, we have the iconic sporting events ......
What I,m really curious about is the West Wyalong goldfields, passed through there heaps of times on my way north but never thought of gold driving through the area.
Cheers T.
1472779099_image.jpeg

Lake Cowel mines in west wyalong or I should say out of west wyalong I have previously worked there :)

Hi guys, I think i herd some where that the gold for the sydney olympic game medals came from west wylong, I may be wrong, Ron.

the goldfields there go back to the mid 1800 .was there in the 70s and could not find a place t o spec not on private property . Picked up half a gram panning a creek on the the side off the road

Latest posts