Meeting the locals...

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moneybox

Philip & Sandra Box
Reaction score
Im new in town and on day two I see a guy sitting outside the service station with his blanket, coffee and smokes. After a chat I find out that hes a prosecutor bogged in the bush 12km out. It rained the night before and there was more rain on the way so I decided it would be nice to help out - and who knows? I might get a tip to some good prospecting spot.

I went into the service station/post office/store and selected a pack of casserole dishes so that Sandra could cook me dinner. The previous property owners had left food in the house but taken the saucepans. Anyway, I forgot my wallet, havent needed it for weeks. I got the guy, Jimmy into the ute, went home and told Mrs M that I was off bush to pull this guy out of the bog and I would get the casserole dishes on the way back.

We took the trailer off and swapped to the Isuzu. 19km down the road he pointed right and said Its over that way. There was no track so we bush bashed our way until we got to the edge of the first lake. His vehicle was stuck in the edge of the lake somewhere but we couldnt see it. After skirting lake after lake for 4 km I made the mistake of trying to cross a narrow patch to get to the other side of a bigger one.

1532618629_lake_austin.jpg

When I got bogged I called Mrs M to get our new neighbours who offered their help yesterday with anything to come with their LandCruiser. I gave her the coordinates in degrees, minutes and seconds. I said to my passenger, who was sure that his ute was just over the other side, to take off on foot and locate his vehicle. That was at 12:50pm. My neighbor called on the CB to say he was at the coordinates but I was nowhere to be seen. I was only using a hand held CB so he couldnt hear me respond. He must have his GPS set on the wrong format so ended up miles away.

By then I had the bus jacked up enough to snatch free but nothing to pull it with. I cut a lot of low shrubs and lined my path and drove it back out. Then the neighbor called on the phone and I told him I was ok and I would see him back home. My passenger was still missing and by the time Id made a cup of tea three hours had passed.

I decided to report it to the police. It took ages for the responders to locate me on their computer using coordinates but eventually they asked me to wait there for a call from the cops. When I got the call the cop said What do you want us to do? I said perhaps they could launch a drone from my location and possibly find him or his vehicle. He said they didnt have a drone so there was nothing they could do at this stage. I was going to leave my passengers blanket and coffee cup on a stake at the bog site but the cop said to take it with me so I headed home.

On my way out Mrs M called to say that the power had gone off. I just sent a text to say that I would start the generator when I got home. I forgot the casserole dishes so after getting the generator going on the fridge I went back in the Hilux. I stood there with the bowser in the tank waiting for it to start before I saw the sign on the door closed - no power. I drove back home thinking that without power she couldnt cook dinner anyway :)

1532617540_bogged.jpg

1532617563_bogged-1.jpg

1532617585_bogged-2.jpg

1532617607_bogged-3.jpg

Jimmy is still out there somewhere. The locals advised me that he often disappears for weeks at a time and he'll turn up like a bad penny one day when he needs something :eek:.

bloody hell mate, you earned ya dinner that night and that was very nice of Jimmy to just bugger off and leave ya :rolleyes:

Top story and well done for lending a hand :) but I have one question if you don't mind.

I'm thinking if Jimmy is a proscecutor "with a very sharp mind" why did he get bogged :/

So is Jimmy a prosecutor or a prospector.

Enjoy the rest of your trip.

The Scrounger said:
Top story and well done for lending a hand :) but I have one question if you don't mind.

I'm thinking if Jimmy is a proscecutor "with a very sharp mind" why did he get bogged :/

So is Jimmy a prosecutor or a prospector.

Enjoy the rest of your trip.

Well spotted Scrounger :) :)

I reread that before I posted it and Mrs M my secret editor read it as well....I'll be having words with my editor....she's getting rusty ;)

It turns out that Jimmy lives rough in bush camps about the place. He has a few issues with his mental stability but never the less his ute was bogged out there somewhere. The problem is that every section of the lake system looks similar and Jimmy just left his vehicle and walked the 20km into town. Without the assistance of GPS he might still be looking for his ute :lol:

It was not Jimmy's fault that I got bogged. I've been on lakes like this before in a much lighter vehicle. The top is quite dry and solid. To walk on it you'd never suspect the type of slush that exists just a foot beneath the surface. Note the 300mm base under my kangaroo jack. It started out fine, just sinking about 75mm down until the wheel was about to lift, then it just sunk with each pump of the jack. I put the bottle jack in place so that I could get the kanga jack out and remount it on a log. Retrieving the jack base wasn't easy, it was almost at a point of no-return.

Last week on the way home I had a few problems with the multiple puncture plugs working their way out of the too-big hole in the tread. It was ok in the bush but couldn't handle highway speeds. Being near the end of the trip the easiest fix was to fit the spacesaver wheel to the RH front. It drove fine on the highway but not the best thing to have on when heading into the salt lake :rolleyes:

I am always amazed at the places you go and the situations you get into and out of again ...
thoroughly enjoy reading about your adventures and watching the videos you post..
You two need a camera crew documenting your travels and recording how your MacGyver ingenuity gets you out of difficult situations.
It would be a fasinating program to watch ..

Thanks for the clarification M.B. :)

Yes I don't miss much,but someone has to do it :lol:

I just hope if I ever get stuck you are around to help me out.

Good effort :Y:

nucopia said:
I am always amazed at the places you go and the situations you get into and out of again ...
thoroughly enjoy reading about your adventures and watching the videos you post..
You two need a camera crew documenting your travels and recording how your MacGyver ingenuity gets you out of difficult situations.
It would be a fasinating program to watch ..

Hehehe. If you or Big Wave know of anyone willing to tag along, document our trips and produce them we are all for it. Can't be wimpy, though, lol. We don't know anyone in that industry. :Y: ]:D O:) ;)

Hi Phil,

Glad you got out OK,

Hope Jimmy is OK tho,

If you had a camera crew with you could of got a winch of them,

It would of made some interesting watching,

Hope your finding some yellow stuff out there,

I still got the couple of peaces that I for from you....

Goody

Latest posts