medallion ????

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
aliuj5.jpg

zadcj.jpg

took some better pics bit more clearer I think ... cant seem to find anything on this

If I were you I'd post it to a British forum. Looking at the ridges around the crest face there doesn't seem to be any uniformity suggesting it was hammered.

It would be interesting to see it clearer from a cast. If you could be buggered you should make a plaster cast to see if you can pick out some more definition from the motifs.

Can you think of any link between the location of this find to a possible origin? For example, certain settlers originating the area.

Hi Wooster,

What a magnificent find! it looks very very old, and yes looks like a hammered coin (ie before coining presses came into being circa 1790's in Birmingham, England) looks like a Tuetonic Eagle, I think it looks too old to be an Imperial Prussian Medallion.

Did you find it on a Goldfield? me'thinks that some European digger had lost his family hierloom / goodluck charm - I'm sure that he would have been quite distraught! - congratulations it is a great find.

CASPER

Hey Wooster looks like you might have the oldest coin/medallion we've seen on this site, if it's a hammered! Keep us upsated mate.

thanx scoopa ... will do its becoming bit of a task to find out exactly what it is

took it to a coin dealer who believes it may be made out of copper ????

Copper really? Looking at it in person it definitely looks to be a Silvery / Aluminium colour under all that muck :|

Ahh yes, this is an id medallion for the servents to a high society family, the servents were known as the swift eagles due to their reputation for bieng so speedy when doing laundry and preparing meals, they were presented with said token when they reached 5yr of service.. If you look real close you can see the eagle standing ontop of a washing basket with stalks of wheat just near the bird's left foot...

Oh ok i have no idea hahaha sorry

with some help from another forum overseas we have finally found it ... yippee yahoo

This is an Ullr medal; a talisman carried by Central European skiers, supposedly invoking the Germanic god of winter. The one face bears the German federal eagle on a shield with the legend "Schutz-patron aller Winter-sportler" (guardian-patron of all winter athletes). The other has the letters ULLR above the usual figure with pointed cap, skis, and a bow. Wide variety in design, but this one's pretty close. It sure was found a long way from home

1369449232_20130525101616_image.jpg

1369449274_20130525101717_image.jpg

So I was kinda right about the top bit then :D

Glad you identified it mate, it must be very satisfying to know its origin. Did you happen to find out a time period?

it is good to know mate ... not sure on time frame doing a bit more investigating :)

Latest posts