Maldon And Muckleford Goldfields information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great Bob, we will be staying at Maldon and wasn't to sure if we would need to travel to far away thanks for the quick response :Y:

R0dney said:
Great Bob, we will be staying at Maldon and wasn't to sure if we would need to travel to far away thanks for the quick response :Y:

Very close to town some areas are restricted from prospecting. See the map below.

https://parkweb.vic.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0003/636663/Maldon-prospecting-map.pdf

Aside from the areas where you can't prospect, there are plenty of places you can that are within a stones throw of town. However, some of the better spots are a little further afield.

I don't mind driving half a hour out of town but I'll have a look in close to town too cheers,
We are going to hire a gpx5000 and a sdc2300 for a few days that way we can have a bit of a rest between us through out the day not sure about what coils are going to be on them what ever is standard I'd say,
I have had a look around on some forums and a mullock heap is that a pile of tailings from a reef the old fellas dug up and never quite back filled the holes right?

R0dney said:
I have had a look around on some forums and a mullock heap is that a pile of tailings from a reef the old fellas dug up and never quite back filled the holes right?

A mullock heap can be anything from a small pile of dirt next to an old diggings hole to something huge like you'll find near the old North British mine on Parkins Reef Road.

With the SDC you should look around areas that were shallow diggings. Also look around the mullock heaps on deep leads where you may find small gold missed by the old timers - however many of these have been pretty well gone over during the past 30 years or more.

With the GPX have a look around areas where quartz reefs were shedding gold and check out the gullies and hill sides down from those reefs.

There's plenty of places where gold is still found, however you're going to need to do your research to find them.

It's been raining this evening in Maldon and still is, hopefully the weekend is better.

Great information got bit of a plan now, that the area is worth a look what to keep a look out for thanks a lot cheers, :)

R0dney said:
I don't mind driving half a hour out of town but I'll have a look in close to town too cheers,
We are going to hire a gpx5000 and a sdc2300 for a few days that way we can have a bit of a rest between us through out the day not sure about what coils are going to be on them what ever is standard I'd say,

LOL LOL yup that's right :D

Hi Guys,
My kids are keen to have a go at detecting also. Not using anything fancy however it is a minlab.
we are also visiting the Maldon area.Having absolutely no idea what to even look for.

I know its probable pushing it but if anyone can give me a location where we might have half a chance at finding something that would be great.

really only so the kids can have some fun.

Call into the detector store in Maldon, they will have some maps for sale that will get you started.

I would try the Smith's Reef area, south of the big dam. There are still a lot of targets in the ground, and you have the choice of reef workings or the alluvial gully below. The reef mines have all been pushed in, so it is quite safe for kids, although the mines north of the dam are still open and deep. Avoid that area.
Many years ago a 20oz piece was detected in this area, and when I took a 'new chum' there a couple of years ago he found a golf ball sized piece of pink quartz with much gold showing. My best piece for the Maldon Newstead area was 27ozs, found about 3 years ago with a GPZ7000.
I live about ten minutes drive from Smith's reef, and although this area has seen a lot of prospectors since prospecting and fossicking maps have recently been produced, there is still a chance of finding a color. Good luck.

Ray01 said:
Hi Guys,
My kids are keen to have a go at detecting also. Not using anything fancy however it is a minlab.
we are also visiting the Maldon area.Having absolutely no idea what to even look for.

I know its probable pushing it but if anyone can give me a location where we might have half a chance at finding something that would be great.

really only so the kids can have some fun.

If you want your kids to have some fun then get some gold pans and start panning for gold. Totally a lot more fun than dragging a detector around and the kids really enjoy the time with thier dad. Cool :cool:

Good idea Trusted, unfortunately not much water in the creeks up this way at the moment. The Go Find detector from Minelab is an ideal kid's machine, as very light weight, and easy to use. Not sure if they are available for hire. Try Coiltek at Maryborough.

Hi All

Just wondering if the Maldon / Muckleford areas had gold come to the surface / Nuggets or was it mostly only Mullock piles or old reef gold piles / diggings ??
Im not asking for coordinates or your secret spot , I have done some research and know there were a lot of reef workings around the area.
Im not from this part of Victoria and thought Id ask those who know these area for some general help.

Cheers

A quick look at Geovic will show you where the diggings are dirtdiggin. I just had a look and the indication is that there were substantial shallow diggings in that area. Cheers and good luck mate.

Ben Digo said:
A quick look at Geovic will show you where the diggings are dirtdiggin. I just had a look and the indication is that there were substantial shallow diggings in that area. Cheers and good luck mate.

Cheers Ben

Ill have a look Im not very confident using geovic but Ill see how I go.
Thanks again

Latest posts