Maldon And Muckleford Goldfields information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Tried an old favorite for the start of the new year, Welshman's reef and Nuggety gully both came up trumps. Been driving past these places for years decide that they deserved another try. Four sub grammers in minutes of stopping, Will try and post some photos of the areas. Areas heavy worked but the gold is still there for the prospector that is prepared to go slow and use a small coil.

that's good news. we too drive through Maldon on the way to Dunolly and apart from a look around have never waved the detector there. I must give it a go. Cheers for the good news.

Hey shiftyrick, what sort of info are you chasing? i.e. ground conditions, is there any gold there etc.

Hello all,
Completely novice to this newfound hobby of mine and just picked up an X-Terra705.
I am planning on visiting Maldon next weekend to see some family and of course prospect some gold :D although I have completely no idea of where I should prospect? I recently got my miners right license so I'm ready to go.
If anybody can help me with some locations I should check out and also any advice to this new hobby of mine, I cant wait to get out there. yewww! ;)
Cheers,
Logan

i havnt prospected at maldon but i would expect you can find some old diggings and just go looking , dont expect to find gold on your first day

good luck if you do

cheers

If you're prospecting in the immediate vicinity of Maldon it's a good idea to familiarize yourself with the Parks Victoria prospecting areas map.

https://parkweb.vic.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0003/636663/Maldon-prospecting-map.pdf

The places you would do best with the X-Terra 705 are mullock heaps and reef quartz outcrops.

There are some excellent notes in an older thread on this forum.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2042

I live in the area and have found gold with my X-Terra 705. Being a VLF machine with discrimination means that there are some areas where you can exploit the strengths of the machine. You'll also be able to find relics and coins easily using it.

Good luck on your travels.

Hi Logan , I have had some luck up gower rd , go out the Castlemaine rd and turn in at the Gower school ruins There are workings all along there ( as well as lots of shotty pellets ) Check out Geovic ( it's free!) . Depending on your car and recent weather some of the tracks might be a bit rough . they often follow higher ground so if you want to spot the gully workings you will need to get out and wander around

good luck with it ,Brett

bbrook said:
I have had some luck up gower rd , go out the Castlemaine rd and turn in at the Gower school ruins There are workings all along there ( as well as lots of shotty pellets )

I've also had varying degrees of success here. There's a fair amount of trash, shotgun pellets and so forth.

Further in toward Maldon you can try around Back Sandy Creek Road - - just stay off private property - not all private property here is fenced.

I've found both gold and old coins in this area.

If you look at the Maldon Prospecting Areas map from Parks Victoria you will see the wedge of land that you are permitted to prospect on.

grubstake said:
I'm awestruck by the amount of good, practical advice being provided to help a newbie get a successful start! :Y:
What a forum we have here - you guys are the best of the web, without a doubt. :rainbow:

X2 :Y: :Y: :Y:

G'day all new to the search for gold totally new never picked a detector up and now myself the better half, my kids and my parents are all heading over in a few weekends and was wondering if the Maldon area down into muckleford south area was a area worth a try or not and look at another area thanks

Latest posts