looking for local knowledge,

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
looking for people in north Queensland with knowledge on good rivers, or creeks to pan for gold, without the use of 4x4 or entering private property,

hey guys, appreciate the help, i have no idea why the link will not work for me, but will keep trying, i have noticed post's referring to a cairns group that meet up in a place called the miners den in cairns, is that the link? however i am 5 and and half hours from cairns, i am located in the lower burdekin region ( home hill ) any tips and hints would be great, thank you

Maybe start a lower burdekin monthly coffee meet and see where that leads for you,.. may take a while, but even travellers passing by would be happy to stop in with you up there, and any close locals should be able to find you. :D

aloq,.. lookin like you need more posts(by popular consensis) to seemore on ere. :eek: :D

alotofquestions said:
looking for people in north Queensland with knowledge on good rivers, or creeks to pan for gold, without the use of 4x4 or entering private property,

I know the qld gov has a mines dept website that you can see all the registered mines on. Sorrry don't have the address. But you could pick an area and go have a look in the state forests below the mines.

hey guys, thanks again for the feed back, i have hit ten posts (i think) but the original link still does not work, if its about popularity to get results then i am out of luck there, as in my quest for answers and gold, i am trying to find anyone who can help answer the questions i have about the burdekin river, i believe i have found some fine placer gold, but being new could be pyrite or mica, my internet prospecting has led me to this site which is a treasure of information and humour, but my questions still unanswered i will consider the coffee meet up and even start a club if i am found by some interested locals and my find is gold, thanks again

Good things come to those who wait.
Have some patience and let the force guide you along your path to prosperity.

i hear patience takes time to learn, so time i have, patience i will learn, its not prosperity i seek, it is more have i got gold fever over fools gold? or am i just a fool? thanks for response

One post to go :D
Research is key & seeing as though your in the area then your better placed to do that on a local level than most of us here.
This site may give you a couple of leads to work from.
http://www.treasureenterprises.com/gold prospecting information/Gold_Occurrences_in_Central_Qld.htm
Local libraries, historical associations/museums etc. can also hold info that you may be chasing.
Qld info:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=11841
Not many will give you an X marks the spot but there are a lot who will try to put you in the right general area where it's known. Some areas are better known than others but I'm sure someone on here can help eventually. Like Tath says - patience.

You will be able to tell the difference between fools gold and real gold in no time :D, fools gold is light and washes out of a pan fast, it is also very brittle so can be crushed between your fingernails easily. Where there is fools gold, real gold can often be found ;)

thanks for the tips guys, mbasko i have been in contact with david from treasure enterprise aust, his information is great, but it is as if there is no information on the lower end of the river, simmo i haven't got in contact with the metal detectors of townsville yet as i wasn't metal detecting but have added them on my list now thank you, and as for fools gold i keep reading of floating gold, so unsure on that topic, am glad to have found this site, you guys are vey helpful, no secret spots given away but pointing in the right direction

Floating gold, it does due to the water tension or oil contamination that's why some people use dish washing liquid when cleaning their concentrates as it breaks the water tension. As for the lower end of rivers in most cases the gold has been broken down to where it is very very fine like a boulder traveling down stream over time breaks down to pebbles and eventually to fine sediment or sand and is spread far and wide and covered very deep in layers of lighter silt. Hope that helps in a bit of understanding :)

Hey guys, a newbie to the group and prospecting does the cairns group still meet up?? As im keen to soak up as much knoweledge and info as i can

Latest posts