Loaming for Gold information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Lee - if he did finish it I wonder if he would mind if it was put together as a single post & added to this forum? Be a great resource to have here permanently & loaming seems to come up a bit.

I have just found the uploaded links and comments on loaming. I am a big fan of loaming , especially Cash's 'Loaming for Gold' booklet. Thankyou my friends. I wonder what the old timers would think of our electronic loaming today. I have tried the old methods -they definitely work, although walking around with a calico sausage bag tied up full of dirt gets some odd looks at the caravan park!!

Very inventive machine you have there, ice work, and good information on loaming, theory is never as good a practice, or watching practice. Thanks for the video

Tommtb7 said:
Can any one answer this question. It seems simple but I'm a bit confused about it, whe loaming do you dig down to bed rock each time to determine gold cons? Or do you just scrape the top layer as the name would suggest?

G day mate

Loaning is a technique employed today in field research by most exploration projects , and it is the sequential matrix method of sampling an area. The best tip that I give you at this level, you will need

1. A gps
2. A couple of surf rod covers, say from a fishing tackle shop, if you can 2m plus works best
3. Some cloth tape, say from spotlight
4. A permenant marker.
5. A hand trowel
6. A note book

Once you have an area that looks good for bearing ore.

1. Your choice, pick a starting point, top, bottom

2. At your start point, take a waypoint on your gps, then depending on the likely ore, nuggerty ( 6-8 inches down)or flakes ( 4 -6 ), flour (surface to 2") or take a sample vertically 2 dia x 8 -10 inches. Shovel your sample into the rod holder, you about 12". Take your cloth tape and tie off the sample. Mark the one sausage as 1, ensure your gps waypoint is labelled 1.

You should work across your area at the altitude, either working up or down the elevation then move down the area at the same interval, and work your way back to your boundary,sampling at the same interval. When your done, your waypoints on the gaps should resemble the corners of the squares on a chest board

3. Make your way across to your next interval, and repeat point 2. And so on, use a compass bearing is best

4. Once your have collect your samples, take them to where you can refine them, one x one, taking note of the results.

The key points, your sample points should be done at equal and same intervals.

Now here's the key

How big the interval,that depends on you and the area. Years ago, and if you ever fly over Innamicka or Eromenga, at 28000 feet you will see a series of squares, this is where we did sonic testing, with a D6 cutting the track for the thumper trucks. These lines that you will see are 1000m apart.

So you can start your loaming process at a very large interval, after, your test results will reveal a pattern for a prospective zone if one exists. You can then use the results to reduce your boundary's and start the process all over again.

How far do you need to go, well that depends on your test results an where your happy to start mining.

I m sorry if I skipped anything,but you should be able decipher the process, which is a process of growing returns.

Hope it helps, if not, let me know and I ll try to define it further

John

Oh our mate on YouTube, that's random sampling, not loaming. Do it right and your time will be well spent

Yeah "Village" you might want to do a little more reasearch before you say what a person is or isnt doing.
I'm personally going to go with Geologists and old mate's with perfectly made sample dry blowers than some fool walking 1000s of meters aimlessly around the scrub with a stupid Surf rod tube on his back.

Village said:
Tommtb7 said:
Can any one answer this question. It seems simple but I'm a bit confused about it, whe loaming do you dig down to bed rock each time to determine gold cons? Or do you just scrape the top layer as the name would suggest?

G day mate

Loaning is a technique employed today in field research by most exploration projects , and it is the sequential matrix method of sampling an area. The best tip that I give you at this level, you will need

1. A gps
2. A couple of surf rod covers, say from a fishing tackle shop, if you can 2m plus works best
3. Some cloth tape, say from spotlight
4. A permenant marker.
5. A hand trowel
6. A note book

Once you have an area that looks good for bearing ore.

1. Your choice, pick a starting point, top, bottom

2. At your start point, take a waypoint on your gps, then depending on the likely ore, nuggerty ( 6-8 inches down)or flakes ( 4 -6 ), flour (surface to 2") or take a sample vertically 2 dia x 8 -10 inches. Shovel your sample into the rod holder, you about 12". Take your cloth tape and tie off the sample. Mark the one sausage as 1, ensure your gps waypoint is labelled 1.

You should work across your area at the altitude, either working up or down the elevation then move down the area at the same interval, and work your way back to your boundary,sampling at the same interval. When your done, your waypoints on the gaps should resemble the corners of the squares on a chest board

3. Make your way across to your next interval, and repeat point 2. And so on, use a compass bearing is best

4. Once your have collect your samples, take them to where you can refine them, one x one, taking note of the results.

The key points, your sample points should be done at equal and same intervals.

Now here's the key

How big the interval,that depends on you and the area. Years ago, and if you ever fly over Innamicka or Eromenga, at 28000 feet you will see a series of squares, this is where we did sonic testing, with a D6 cutting the track for the thumper trucks. These lines that you will see are 1000m apart.

So you can start your loaming process at a very large interval, after, your test results will reveal a pattern for a prospective zone if one exists. You can then use the results to reduce your boundary's and start the process all over again.

How far do you need to go, well that depends on your test results an where your happy to start mining.

I m sorry if I skipped anything,but you should be able decipher the process, which is a process of growing returns.

Hope it helps, if not, let me know and I ll try to define it further

John

Hi All
Lately on many a forum there have been many differing opinions on what "Loaming" is??
The example above is not "Loaming" Further to that on the scale mentioned in the above post, yes most exploration companies use this wide spread sampling "BUT" it is called "Geochemical Prospecting" which is used to highlight mineral "Halo's" for further follow up.
cheers
Lee

Tommtb7 said:

Tomm
No you do not dig down to bedrock!
cheers
Lee

Hi All
So lets "Talk' "Loaming"

"Loaming" is the term used to describe the systematic sampling of soil to determine if they carry gold values & to ultimately find the source of the gold shedding into the soil.

This is not to be confused with stream sediment sampling which is used to determine the values of "Gold" within the "Alluvial" gravels of a creek bed as the name suggests "Stream Sediment" Like I said in an earlier post there are a number of folks who have used the term "Loaming" to describe "Stream Sediment Sampling", they are 2 very different techniques & for the benifit of all should be reffered to in the correct context to promote a better understanding for all.

"Loaming" is generally conducted once you have determined a run of gold in your area either, that indicates rough gold, by using a detector, or by "Stream Sediment Sampling" or (SSS)
"Loaming is conducted at right angles to the slope of the ground, that is across the slope & is commenced out of the creek channel on the slope itself.

How to do it, I scrape of the grass & top 2" of dirt over a 600mm square area ( this is to prevent surface contamination of the sample) then I use a 200mm hand auger to dig a hole into the scraped area down 4 to 5 " I then scrape this spoil out & into a bag, I put a bit of masking tape around the top of the bag & assign it a number, I label my rows from A to Z up the slope & 1 to 100 across the slope, the most important thing is to keep records of what you are doing.

You may ask, What does this bloke know about "Loaming"?? Answer- Only what I have learnt from a local guy who has found many a reef & from applying that knowledge in the bush, Have I found a reef? no but I am getting closer, the spot I am working I have done 130 "Loam" samples it is showing a pattern so I will keep on following it.
I hope this sheds some light on the subject.

Then I proccess the samples at my leasure.
cheers
Lee

Ok

You guys win, Bach of science in Geology, with a year of honors, a Bach of Geoscience, and completed my desertion in sedimentology. Retired at 45 as a consulting geologist. But hey you guys know better. It amazing how wisdom doesn t come with age. You follow what you think is right cause that's doing for you.

I have watched this forums for many years, shook my head at how wrong people can decipher information. Thought I might repay the favor, originally surfed in about information on high bankers, and repay for the help I got.

Go about it the way you want, waste your time and money. Oh the high banker is for my youngest son, he's 8, to young to have his own mine like his older brother. But like his brother I will use proven scientific methods to find him a patch also.

Enough said hey. Two degrees and a doctorate all for nothing, must be just good luck and not knowledge hey.

Village said:
Ok

You guys win, Bach of science in Geology, with a year of honors, a Bach of Geoscience, and completed my desertion in sedimentology. Retired at 45 as a consulting geologist. But hey you guys know better. It amazing how wisdom doesn t come with age. You follow what you think is right cause that's doing for you.

I have watched this forums for many years, shook my head at how wrong people can decipher information. Thought I might repay the favor, originally surfed in about information on high bankers, and repay for the help I got.

Go about it the way you want, waste your time and money. Oh the high banker is for my youngest son, he's 8, to young to have his own mine like his older brother. But like his brother I will use proven scientific methods to find him a patch also.

Enough said hey. Two degrees and a doctorate all for nothing, must be just good luck and not knowledge hey.

Hey Village
Everyone is entitled to thier opinion as you are.
Mate with those Quals! please enlighten us ( not having a shot at you I am serious) What in my explanation do you disagree with as this is all about learning, I am no expert & have just put forth what I have learnt & what is working for me so please continue the discussion if you are of a mind to contribute to the benifit of all.

Village said:
Ok

I don't believe its about winning, this is a discussion in which people (of all backgrounds) can share their views and opinions. If you feel your theory is more accurate, then please feel free to elaborate without feeling as though you're being interrogated.

Look re62

I try not to pull people up where they go off, but steer them in the correct direction and trust that they will find the correct path, but this the about the third time, someone who has surfed YouTube and Wikipedia for couple of hours, what's to throw brick bats. Far from worth it. If I ever run into in the field, for sure I ll help you no dramas.

Oh and by the way my field research truck carries about dozen, canvas tubes similar to a rod holders. Well used, and will continue to be used.

Village said:
Look re62

I try not to pull people up where they go off, but steer them in the correct direction and trust that they will find the correct path, but this the about the third time, someone who has surfed YouTube and Wikipedia for couple of hours, what's to throw brick bats. Far from worth it. If I ever run into in the field, for sure I ll help you no dramas.

Oh and by the way my field research truck carries about dozen, canvas tubes similar to a rod holders. Well used, and will continue to be used.

Hey Village
I'm not really sure how to take this?? but the knowledge that I have gained & am putting into practice is not from youtube or Wiki, no offence taken but not sure where you are going, anyway.
To me this is all about learning & improving the knowledge we all have, if someone want's to take cheap shots let it go by.
Please don't feel like you need to hold back what you put forth here, as there are folks here that genuinley want to learn & improve thier skills.

If I have got something wrong I would like to know about it!!!!
cheers
Lee

SApicker said:
Yeah "Village" you might want to do a little more reasearch before you say what a person is or isnt doing.
I'm personally going to go with Geologists and old mate's with perfectly made sample dry blowers than some fool walking 1000s of meters aimlessly around the scrub with a stupid Surf rod tube on his back.

[video=480,360]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBHfgB5ta9U[/video]

Hey Picker

A dryblower, a usefull bit of kit for prospecting, but should not be used for the "Loaming" method because accuracy is of utmost importance with this system & dryblowers can lose fine gold particles which can throw out your results.
cheers
Lee

Hi All
I will say here, I mean no offence to any one in this discussion my only agenda is to get the most out of this thread & to get it correct, I am a keen student of this technique & wish to expand my knowledge so if you have any questions or input please have your say.
One & all.
cheers
Lee

http://www.chartandmapshop.com.au/2803490/Loaming-for-Gold/9780859054317
A good starting point IMO - Loaming for Gold by Sam Cash.
I can see that both methods above (Villages & rc62burkes) have merit. Would it be fair to say Village that yours may be better suited to larger search areas or operations?
I have followed some of rc62burkes posts closely on the topic before & can vouch for his passion + enthusiasm for loaming. I have also seen a willingness to learn & pass on information to others. Having only read about Sam Cash's methods & not put any great deal of effort into loaming its a topic that I am still interested in finding out more about even if only to put the basic ideas into practice whilst detecting.
If I remember correctly I believe I have read somewhere that even Sam Cash & others agreed to disagree on their methods so I guess it would be up to oneself to decide on a method to suit their own situation/area but the basics would still be fundamental in your success?

Latest posts