Loaming for Gold information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Good Morning Guys,
As you may have seen in my posts ive stumbled on a nice patch, sometimes it does pay to work slowly up and across a hill.
in this case it was purely just a random spot that " looked nice "

My question is about loaming. Can anyone shed info for me please??
im told the pieces have travelled but not too far from the source,
this being the case, i will be busy but instead of digging random holes id rater a few tips to help??

Thanks

KoD :D

Hi KD
If you can get your hands on a book called 'Loaming for Gold" by Sam Cash its going to help with your search.
A bit difficult to understand at times beause of the era it was written and a bit repetative.
But when it covers the loaming, its pretty much spot-on.
I would suggest marking the spots you get targets from on either a GPS,GISRome or phone or even use some grid paper and mark them out. By the end of your plotting a definate pattern will emerge.
Just my 2c worth.
Hope it helps
Cheers
Chris

Cheers mate,
as far as marking goes ive got that grid in my head, directions to the spot are easy and
visible from my ute, so my reference points are very basic but, They Work :) as well as knowing the spot. :) :D
so far, 4.2 grams in a 10 metre radius :)
ill be out there today i think, might rake a bit to get the coil well and truely on the soil and look for strays.
but from info gained im close to the source, which i have to say makes me want to go buy a heap of lanterns and work the spot day and or night :)
ill look into getting that book and read, read and re read it, lol
ya 2c worth is under rated, id be going up to 10c if i were you :)
Thanks Mate :D

Sound like some exciting days ahead for you KD. Keep us updated with how you are going and good luck.
Hope those little fellows are leading you to the mother load.

well if you think About it gold is only 2 on the hardness scale so it wouldn't get worn that much if its only gone a short distance but I would start at the bottom of the hill and start sampling there and work ya way up the hill if the hill is really steep there's a good chance that the gold may come from the top but if it's not that big or steep or the Gold still hackey not worn then you may find that the sorce is not that far away and you may want to check the creek if ya got nothing in ya pan in the creek then you'll know that ya went to far up stream so all ya got to do is dig small trenchs parallel to the creek on the hill and you'll may find a reef :eek:
Cheers hunting the yellow :D 8)

Can any one answer this question. It seems simple but I'm a bit confused about it, whe loaming do you dig down to bed rock each time to determine gold cons? Or do you just scrape the top layer as the name would suggest?

Had a read of the trove article, very good info there, something to do in the down time, just quietly sounds like a great way to detect also...

Hi Keepondiggin
Mate have a look at the post in the link this is where I learnt the skill of loaming & the fact that I will give anything a go, the guy who wrote this story lives 1.5 hrs from me so is great resource.

I am currently using this technique in NQ, last year I panned a small gully & got some rough gold in it which I followed upstream 150m to a point where the rough bright gold cut out, I also have some worn really yellow gold in the gully, which means I have 2 sources YAY, gold that has a brightness & less yellowy colour is more recently shed.
You need to work on a very strict grid pattern across the slope, I use 3m between each hole across & up when you go up a row you stagger the hole so it is in the centre of 2 holes below it, I have just finished the last of my 80 samples on this grid that I bought home last year time to get more, it is very tedious work & you will need patience, let the gold lead you to the gold.
cheers
Lee

ps I just found I can't post the link till I make 10 post's, wait for it!!!

Yeah still waiting for Part 6 but some great info in the first 5 parts. Enough to get you going. :)

Latest posts