Linking google earth to garmin for real time tracking.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi folks,
I'm in a bigger state of confusion than normal in trying to do real time tracking on Google Earth thru my Garmin devices. I followed articles in this forum as well as GE forum and general internet searches for answers, but I must still be doing something wrong.
I tick the appropriate boxes in Google Earth, Tools, GPS, real time, start etc. and the Garmin device shows I'm connected via usb, the Google Earth screen says "reading usb" but that's it. There should be a cursor on the laptops GE screen but no. if I go for a drive around, still nothing.
Help please?
Equipment used is Windows10, choice of Garmin Rino 650 and Garmin Dezl 760. (I have the different usb ports on laptop, tried new cables but still nbg.)

Was there a driver you needed to install from a supplied disk by any chance? Generally when pc -> gps problems occur, its to do with either how the data is transferred and what form of data ( usb, digital, serial ), and also the file format that is being read / written. I'm running off very dry memories here..but you need to match the devices together with both the data format and connection type. For example, the garmin may be outputting a .txt, .gis, .nmea but the program in settings to read only .ini or another format, so make sure they both match up.

Another problem I had was with the connection. In order for me to read gps data on some devices to transfer to google earth, I had to get an extra dongle from ebay which converts the usb port to serial port, which was then easier to convert and load into the program.. this was in early days of gps devices and google integration, hopefully for you it won't be as difficult nowdays with newer devices.

Thanks for the reply AR, I'm hopeful have that side covered as I can log tracks on the rino then hook up to the laptop and then download them onto GE.
I'm currently in Kalgoorlie, where I have asked a few prospectors, prospecting store staff etc. but no success yet. I will try and find a computer store and staff member who understands better than me and have him follow thru on your advice. thanks again much appreciated. I will let you know how it goes.

From what I understand it is not possible?

I use a small usb gps receiver for running Geomap. Not sure on GE but that was what I was told by the guys at JA.

Even though the program say Garmin gps it still will not recognise it.

Also look at what com port it is connected to and then see if the options in GE will match?

Bobh said:
Hi folks,
I'm in a bigger state of confusion than normal in trying to do real time tracking on Google Earth thru my Garmin devices. I followed articles in this forum as well as GE forum and general internet searches for answers, but I must still be doing something wrong.
I tick the appropriate boxes in Google Earth, Tools, GPS, real time, start etc. and the Garmin device shows I'm connected via usb, the Google Earth screen says "reading usb" but that's it. There should be a cursor on the laptops GE screen but no. if I go for a drive around, still nothing.
Help please?
Equipment used is Windows10, choice of Garmin Rino 650 and Garmin Dezl 760. (I have the different usb ports on laptop, tried new cables but still nbg.)

The GARMIN device that you have connected to you computer must have NMEA input and output. The Rhino does but see this i just viewed on the web "...To set the Interface Mode, select Setup, System, Interface on the GPS. Set the Interface Mode to "Garmin Spanner" if you want to allow the GPS to send live position (tracking) information to Terrain Navigator. If you are only looking to share markers, routes, tracks, and maps, set the Interface Mode to "Garmin Serial..."

It seems that your problems are a configureation issue.... hope this helps.

casper

still working thru comments, wish my grandkids were here!
Casper I've followed setup changes on the rino ok, but what is "terrain navigator"?
I tried the changes on Rino and connected to google earth but nothing real time. loading tracks after event is fine. may have to find a computer nerd in Perth or do what Westaus suggests.
been looking at Garmin FAQ's on their home page and it appears rino 600 ok but rino 650 not listed. have sent them an email hoping for a prompt response.
will keep you informed.

Hi WestAus, AtomRat & Casper,
We are still stuck in Perth for health reasons. (not serious, but time consuming; all OK now)
Well i finally sorted out my PC / GPS communication problem thanks to all of you for your advice. I wasn't getting the right communication ports, and had wrong settings on the Rino and needed to check type of data files, all things you guys mentioned.
The last few weeks i have been teaching myself GEOMapWA and am happy with results so far. WestAus I would still be keen to enrol is "distance learning" if you are still going down that path in the future.
This arvo I was able to walk around the caravan carrying the GPS and the laptop and for the first time have real time tracking with both the Garmin Rino 650 and the HAiCOM.
I ended buying a HAiCOM GPS -USB from Johnny Appleseed after trying 5 places here in Perth.

I gave up trying to use Google Earth after contacting Garmin Support. They quickly responded with a set of instructions but I couldn't get them to work. Old age perhaps.
I will have another go with Google Earth during down time next summer as I don't like being beaten.

Once gain thanks for your comments it certainly helped me.
Whats next? I hope we will definitely leave end of next week to try Marble Bar, Nullagine and then Halls Creek.

Bobh said:
Hi WestAus,
We are still stuck in Perth for health reasons. (not serious, but time consuming; all OK now)
WestAus I would still be keen to enrol is "distance learning" if you are still going down that path in the future.

Drop me a line happy to work something out no probs.

If you have the GPS unit then Geomap will work well. Just need to load the data and maps for what areas you need.

Good to hear nothing too serious with the health as well, take care and stay safe.

Just stumbled on the posts. Thanks, I've had the same problem with a 650 & had stopped trying in frustration after much searching & many attempts.

Stay healthy.

Barry

Latest posts