Lead caps?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just spent a couple of days in the Pilbarra detecting and was driven crazy in a couple of spots with small pieces of lead that looked like the old paper caps we used in our cap guns. Anybody know what they are from? They were mostly in areas that had been tested by a mining company.

I miss read it and was thinking plastic caps for cap guns not paper caps :rolleyes:
The plastic caps look like percussion caps.
Paper caps would just look like lead chaff , maybe someone has a set on detectorists maybe.

Magilla said:
I just spent a couple of days in the Pilbarra detecting and was driven crazy in a couple of spots with small pieces of lead that looked like the old paper caps we used in our cap guns. Anybody know what they are from? They were mostly in areas that had been tested by a mining company.
Do you mean when the caps are in the roll ?
Or single squares ?

aussiefarmer said:
Magilla said:
Do you mean when the caps are in the roll ?
Or single squares ?

They are about the size of a single paper cap, maybe slightly smaller, square with a raised bubble in the center. They are still a grey color so I would think they would be from the last 40 years or so.
They actually made me chuckle because most places I detect are full of tiny buckshot that the Zed picks up, finally found a spot with no buckshot and a bit of gold but it is full of these things. :rolleyes:

Latest posts