landowners approval

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ease up guys!!!
The average door knock on 25 acres + under speculation.....
WA you don't even have to offer one warm beer!
You basically inform them of your intentions....
If your on a larger property and doing well......
And wanting to revisit, camp there etc....
I " beleive" then you might negotiate terms of percentages, or show appreciation in other ways etc.
As I said, every cocky is DIFFERENT

Tathradj and Mudgee hunter have the right idea. It is about public relations and building a friendship with the property owner. If you find something that would mean something to the farmer you will get appreciation and respect if you present it to them. Many times I have returned long lost objects, and got a huge buzz from the response of the property owner when he sees a Dinky toy that he last laid eyes upon 50 years ago. I have lasting friendships with the people on whose property I have worked over the years.

I think we could break a new thread into two seperate ones.....
A pro would want to camp preferably on a larger property and work it fully.
A hobbyist might be happy to get a day in if allowed, on a smaller property and move on.
And lucky to pic up a sub gram peice. $20...
I would be happy as a hobbyist to exchange the gold value in beers... 100% value.
So many different situations,
But 100% respect should always be a given.

An informative thread, but don't be offended if it gets " edited " somewhat!
And sad if it gets locked...
Many newbies are relying on this info hey

Mudgee hunter, pretty spot on. The one aspect that is important is openness and honesty. I have seen so many areas that have become completely off limit because of greed. Gold fever for a lack of a better description. People who jump fences or 'moonlight' ruin it for so many, when all you really need to do is have a presentable appearance and an open disposition.
Most, or many land owners are relatively conservative, so your neck or face tattoos might not be helpful, as well as your dogs, and some of the stickers on your car.
Use a little common sense. If you are a dickhead, you will be shown the gate, but if you are genuine, and exude a pleasant confidence you have a good chance of being accepted.

The Properties I have access too(Gems, Crystals) usually don't want anything in return... I offer a beer or a bottle and most always insist We share it with them around the Campfire... We offer our services to them instead, like roof or fence repairs and such and usually have a bit of paid work on our next visit... Word soon gets around that you are Decent blokes and the other properties soon open up for you...

Just like the other saying... ;)
Size of land Doesn't matter, its the way you use that land that matters... ;)

LW...

Spot on MH we had many people over the years when we lived in the Riverina come to our place and it was always advised to contact Mum to see if anything was needed. Just over 100km west of Hay/Balranald was smart use of visitors if we knew they planned to visit. No gold unless you refer to foxes and feral pigs as gold which some did others were just regular friends either way they were all valued if they gave us thought for the last 100km of their journey.

LoneWolf, gems and crystals could be a bit different from gold in the way arrangements are made. As a professional gold hunter for many years it made sense to have a professional agreement.
In cases where gold had never been found on a property ever, it was important to have an agreement in place. When hundreds of ounces turned up on previously unproven ground it would have been a nightmare had not an agreement been in place.
When it came to applying for claims to cover the area that detecting had uncovered a whole new diggings, then naturally the landowners became partners and a new agreement was laid down legally.
You have to be very careful how agreements are jointly agreed upon, and how all in the partnership are looked after. Successful mining operations are not always easy but good partnerships are gold in themselves.

Of Course with Gold things are a bit different.... Most I know aren't really interested or don't know they had them on their Properties... We usually offer some nice Specimens and they are Happy...

What I don't like and this has only happened once is, you do all the research, find possible locations, Obtain permission and dig the holes, find the Goodies and on your next visit, they have opened up the Property up to Fossicking and Camping and want You to pay as well.... :(

LW...

Lonewolf, it takes all types. I have had agreements broken when proving up virgin ground only to have the land owner tell me that someone else has offered them a better deal once I have done the research and the proving.
JR Beatty and I proved up virgin ground only a couple of years ago and then had the land owner buy detectors for him and his two sons. (after Beatty made the mistake of telling the land owner where to look)
Some projects turn sour, but hey, what can you do?

Well Im already a bit weird, so gold hasnt really done anything strange to me. I kinda feel bad if I take someone to a spot and they dont find anything. Just as happy for someone else to have some finds as if ide found them myself. I do understand that virgin ground and bigger slugs may be a different story though.

Hi
I have two property owners from my old home town region that have agreed to get me on their land where late 1800's mining used to take place. They either know me from younger days or know my family and the cattle property we used to own back then.
We didn't talk about any 'agreement' about access fee or splitting/sparing gold found at the time, though I did take them up and split a 5kg box of large king prawns on my first visit as a thanks for access (apparently they don't let anyone else on their land to detect these days due to bad experiences). They seemed pretty impressed and happy with that at the time. I normally go up for a week at a time and sleep in my car out on their property (one week each property a month).
I have had some very good finds on one property but now am feeling uncomfortable not knowing what the expectations may be with either of them on sharing of gold found. I am taking them up a mud crab each next trip and as some comments suggest will ask what their expectations are with gold found. BTW I do detecting for both the enjoyment of getting back out in the remote bush (like I my younger cattle property days) and also to make some $$$ to support our retirement... so yes, I am looking to be respectful and kind to the owners and also maximize my financial return. A win-win would sit with me best.

Latest posts