landowners approval

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am an ex farmer, I have always allowed campers etc on my land
Have any of you approached farmers in gold producing areas if you can fossik on their land.
I would imagine most property owners would oblige as long as you abide by their rules.
maybe offer a six pack of stubbies?

I knocked on the door to a property only a few days ago.
I used to pan and sluice in the creek that runs thru their property a few years ago. My mate owned it at the time then he sold it.
The new owner was more than happy to let me pan and sluice again. I told him Id clean up any mess that I made and wouldnt leave any rubbish around. Ive also been given permission to come and go as I like. I should have knocked on the door earlier, but I was a bit apprehensive and embarrassed that Id be told where to go!
A 6pac of cans or a Tatts ticket isnt a bad idea to sweeten the deal.

beaul said:
has anyone ever paid a % of gold found to get approval to fossik on private property

I'm sure some do/have at the end of the day if you get permission it might be a pre requisite before permission is granted. Only one way to know for sure and that is to ask :Y:

RM Outback said:
beaul said:
has anyone ever paid a % of gold found to get approval to fossik on private property

I'm sure some do/have at the end of the day if you get permission it might be a pre requisite before permission is granted. Only one way to know for sure and that is to ask :Y:

I got permission on a small property and said to the owner 50/50. I get the fun of detecting the land and the owner was chuffed. Win win in my books :D

A carton of beer is an up front win for the owner regardless of the outcome.

I also offer camp fees but they usually say blah your right mate.

A place in n.s.w. asked to see finds at the end. No gold but plenty of rubbish which reminds me I must get back there.

In the early days I use to offer a percentage of finds but I felt liked I was looked at with a bit of scepticism.

beaul said:

I'm pretty sure that's what Reg Wilson and the Beagle boys used to do from what I've read on other forums. I'm sure he even mentioned on one of them what the usual percentage was. It makes good sense, whether it's 50/50, 60/40, or 40/60, you are still getting the opportunity to prospect on what is often undisturbed and/or unprospected land. I'd imagine it would probably get easier to gain access the longer you are in the game and get to build up a reputation. A heap of photos of past finds would also help open the gates I would think :)

I give rum to my property owner friend now and then. Was almost at the stage of taking out 15ltr containers of water!
And he knows me well enough now that he needs a hand around the farm to buzz me.
He goes off his tits when he finds trespassers!
Then they have to deal with the police.
He has had a few charged for being ignorant

I detected a property near bega a few years back where my
Father grew up.
When I had finnished, I gave the Land Holder a framed photo from
our archives with 2 Shillings stuck on both lower corners. The photo
was about 1930 showing the old school.

He was pretty chuffed.

When pig hunting a property years ago I realised Every time I told the land owner where the pigs are the next time I went back the whole area would get pulled and dozed.
Gold is no different..

Each cocky is different. Some want nothing but respect his property. Always swing in on the way out if possible for a chat. If it turns out to be worth a return trip, ask for permission to return and exchange details.
When you ring him again for permission to camp/detect and get the node. Offer a box of beer etc.
Take one even if he declines the offer.

Some might just want to see what you found at the end of the day.
You might even dig up an old lead soldier that he played with as a kid.... Offer it to him...

Ask if there is anything you can get / pick up for him in town.
Everyone has forgotten to the milk.... But might a 50km trip for them...

beaul said:
i was thinking 20% if they can show me old workings
I can tell you for fact if you offer 20% I would know you are just there to make money not have fun with your hobby and would show you the gate don't think that us property owners are dumb 20% would be a slap in the face and you may have spent 5-10 grand on gear and fuel out there but our properties are worth millions

savage bitter said:
beaul said:
I can tell you for fact if you offer 20% I would know you are just there to make money not have fun with your hobby and would show you the gate don't think that us property owners are dumb 20% would be a slap in the face and you may have spent 5-10 grand on gear and fuel out there but our properties are worth millions

I agree. Most owners arnt even interested in the gold. If they where.... your butt wouldn't get far with them.
And not even trust your findings.
Even If you have no luck after a day out there, throw him a 6 pack on the way out when you thank him.

He won't want to be cutting off 20% of a gram peice!!!
Find two... Offer him one!
If declined...... He should still have a COLD 6pack in his hands as he waves you off.
That simple!

Savage bitter, with all due respect, you are talking through your arse. My partners and I have always worked on 20% with some very big land owners, and have had good relations with them. You must be a 'blocky' with a small acreage. They are the ones that are the hardest to deal with as they have a different attitude to real farmers.
Experience has taught me that 20% is a reasonable percentage to pay as it works out well for both parties.
I am not talking about hobbyists here, and a hobbyist may get permission on a small block for a box of beer, but professional prospectors are a different matter.
I have large properties that I have worked on where the land owners and I have a mutual respect. They know that there are some who will offer a better deal, but there is no way that these people will honor the deal, where as if I offer 20% that is exactly what they will get. My reputation is most important to me, and that is why I have access to so many properties. My word is my bond.
I have many written references from property owners who have benefited from my prospecting on their land. One local farmer let me detect his property after telling me that a number of people had detected it but found no gold, even though one guy stayed for a few days. After a days detecting I laid out 6 ozs on his kitchen table and invited him to pick out his 20%. He said that I was the first one who had ever found gold on his property. No. I was the first to be honest with him. This is why I have little respect for many who call themselves prospectors. A lot are just greedy mongrels with gold fever.
Offering over 20% causes all sorts of difficulties. If a land owner wants more than 20% I explain to them that the only way I would be interested in paying more than 20% would have to be on a sliding scale. In other words, if I happened upon a large nugget or patch in a given time then we could agree on a larger percentage.
Any agreement should be reached before any prospecting takes place, and a handshake is all I have ever needed. Should a land owner require a written agreement, I see no problem with that as long as both parties are in agreement.

I have imparted a bit of information that I normally would not, but hey, I have more private ground that I have permission to detect than I will live long enough to do so.
My advice is to be honest all the way, as you will want to see an honest face look back at you in the shaving mirror. (unless you are a real dog, and if you are a real dog, your karma will catch up with you).

mudgee hunter said:
savage bitter said:
beaul said:

I agree. Most owners arnt even interested in the gold. If they where.... your butt wouldn't get far with them.
And not even trust your findings.
Even If you have no luck after a day out there, throw him a 6 pack on the way out when you thank him.

He won't want to be cutting off 20% of a gram peice!!!
Find two... Offer him one!
If declined...... He should still have a COLD 6pack in his hands as he waves you off.
That simple!
:Y:

Reg Wilson said:
Savage bitter, with all due respect, you are talking through your arse. My partners and I have always worked on 20% with some very big land owners, and have had good relations with them. You must be a 'blocky' with a small acreage. They are the ones that are the hardest to deal with as they have a different attitude to real farmers.
Experience has taught me that 20% is a reasonable percentage to pay as it works out well for both parties.
I am not talking about hobbyists here, and a hobbyist may get permission on a small block for a box of beer, but professional prospectors are a different matter.
I have large properties that I have worked on where the land owners and I have a mutual respect. They know that there are some who will offer a better deal, but there is no way that these people will honor the deal, where as if I offer 20% that is exactly what they will get. My reputation is most important to me, and that is why I have access to so many properties. My word is my bond.
I have many written references from property owners who have benefited from my prospecting on their land. One local farmer let me detect his property after telling me that a number of people had detected it but found no gold, even though one guy stayed for a few days. After a days detecting I laid out 6 ozs on his kitchen table and invited him to pick out his 20%. He said that I was the first one who had ever found gold on his property. No. I was the first to be honest with him. This is why I have little respect for many who call themselves prospectors. A lot are just greedy mongrels with gold fever.
Offering over 20% causes all sorts of difficulties. If a land owner wants more than 20% I explain to them that the only way I would be interested in paying more than 20% would have to be on a sliding scale. In other words, if I happened upon a large nugget or patch in a given time then we could agree on a larger percentage.
Any agreement should be reached before any prospecting takes place, and a handshake is all I have ever needed. Should a land owner require a written agreement, I see no problem with that as long as both parties are in agreement.

I have imparted a bit of information that I normally would not, but hey, I have more private ground that I have permission to detect than I will live long enough to do so.
My advice is to be honest all the way, as you will want to see an honest face look back at you in the shaving mirror. (unless you are a real dog, and if you are a real dog, your karma will catch up with you).
well good for you reg you still are a arrogant prick and I don't care for anything you say you talk threw your ass

Latest posts