Lamb well thats just un Australian

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Even mincemeat is $7.92c for 500g

I refuse to play that game, Before Christmas I bought 2 pre cooked BBQ chickens that were close to their sell by date they cost me $13.03c and turned them in to 19 meals, I made sandwiches and a huge pan of home made chicken soup which was good to have during the Cold weather,

The ones I feel sorry for are the farmer, I bet they don't get paid the big bucks for their produce/Beasts. I am going to start buying meat from the farm shops this year, So my money goes to the right place.

I saw a Salmon fillet that measured about 150mm square and they wanted $15.75c for it, that was a shocker. :eek::(
Mate get to know a farmer and between you and another person or three people try and arrange a purchase and split it. So long as the farmer is willing and earns their true worth you may just strike up a valuable relationship. Obviously the farmer doesn't want to be overwhelmed so one step at a time. I've knocked back heaps of people who thought they could have killers on my place thinking I'd be happy 😅 some people over think things 🙃

At times we've processed a few killers and given it to people we value, none of them are the people who asked for the use of our land 😊 I'm no farmer just got the means to keep us well fed.

Yeah a lot of places out in the country have proper Farm Shops where they sell all local produce and they sell their own meats, veges and things like Honey and Cheese's and Milk just like a regular supermarket, Some of their prices are high but I think it is about supporting the little guy and I am ok with that,

I got interested in them when I watched a doco about this place, 👍

https://www.visitlakedistrict.com/t.../tv-and-film-locations/lake-district-farmshop

Yeah a lot of places out in the country have proper Farm Shops where they sell all local produce and they sell their own meats, veges and things like Honey and Cheese's and Milk just like a regular supermarket, Some of their prices are high but I think it is about supporting the little guy and I am ok with that,

I got interested in them when I watched a doco about this place, 👍

https://www.visitlakedistrict.com/t.../tv-and-film-locations/lake-district-farmshop
👌great story, came at the right time for some 👍definitely worthy of support.

Yep and it's great to see the profit go to the producers and not share holders from across the Globe, If we support the little man he can keep going in supporting us with the things we enjoy, where if we don't we loose them for ever, Over here many farmers having lost their livelyhoods have gone down the shed with a 12g and never come back, Each and every country needs to get behind their farmers and the good thing about that is You get to have a say on where your money goes, 👍

We'll have fresh mutton in the cool room tomorrow 😎 Wasn't planned as such but we have a steer calf that got tangled in a fence 😪 Unfortunately he can't be saved so we'll make good use of it. With only 2 sheep left we've decided to process them for the family, Australia Day BBQ will be cheap this year 😋

We'll have fresh mutton in the cool room tomorrow 😎 Wasn't planned as such but we have a steer calf that got tangled in a fence 😪 Unfortunately he can't be saved so we'll make good use of it. With only 2 sheep left we've decided to process them for the family, Australia Day BBQ will be cheap this year 😋
Licking my lips just thinking about the mutton, couple of weeks hanging and it should melt in the mouth. Remember the days when we were developing a meat crossbred, that was before I got Q fever and had to sell the farm, the lambs were 45-50kg live weight and awesome in the spit, real solid eyes on the chops. Mix of Fin, Black Suffolk and Dorper, started with Merino CFAs and the Fin rams. Interesting days.

Fortunately we have a country butcher down the road, produces some awesome 'bangers' and a bunch of different salamis that are to die for, so need to gee him up for some mutton as he does a bit of contract work for locals who know him.

Latest posts