Kiwi and a Canuck travelling Oz

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
G'day,

Pressured into joining after running into Balmain Bob, and becoming a part of the community after a enjoyable weekend with some other members up at Hill End.

I've been prospecting for a few years, was an early adopter and huge fan of Minelabs SDC2300, having a waterproof and somewhat indestructible detector is a must have back home in my native New Zealand, she's a French Canadian girl who convinced me it was a good idea to follow her to Australia on a working holiday, I secretly bought her her own SDC before leaving, we bought a cheap 4x4 shortly after landing on the Gold Coast, and we spent a fun afternoon in the Queensland heat fitting it out with a rooftop tent and awning, after an obligatory trip to see Cory at the Brisbane Minersden we were setup with picks and other sundries that not only wouldn't have fitted in the suitcases but what we also don't use or need back home, after a good chat and a bit of friendly encouragement we were out in Durikai digging our first nuggets, before visiting Australia Zoo on the Sunshine Coast to get up to speed on the local wildlife, since then we've had some success in Nundle, after following our noses into the state forest (with permits) as the locals pointed us the other direction up the Peel, had our arses kicked digging in the mud for Sapphires in Inverell not having any idea what we were doing or even what a raw sapphire looked like! and dug countless rounds of brass and machine gun links from where I suspect the 'Battle of Mogo Forest' was bravely fought by defence force trainees, the only 'gold' we got out of Mogo was in the form of $2 coins so at least it was productive in that sense.
More recently we've really landed on our feet up in Hill End, having pulled close to a half ounce between us and getting gold almost every time we looked for it.

It's keeping us occupied until we have to start contributing to the ATO through meaningful employment, and I figure if we can survive the aussie goldfields, living out of a tent, and each other, then i'll have to do a melt and get some rings made.

Cheers all to the hospitality you've shown us at Hill End, and we look forward to running into more PA members in our travels.

Darren & Myriam

G.Day Darren & Myriam

Welcome to the forum and Oz. Forget all that NSW an Qld stuff, nothing much left up there that you can get legally. Come down to Victoria where the real gold is still found. Great camping at Eldorado (I kid you not - google it) with plenty of alluvial gold. Just dig anywhere. Best pubs in the world in the North East also and some fantastic fishing. Then you could head off to the Golden Triangle for some detectoring.

Araluen

Welcome aboard PA Darren!

Glad you joined up. Plenty of info available here, and if you can't find what you're after just drop a question etc. on the topics :Y:

All the best on your travels.
Kindest regards,
Shauno.

Hey guys!

It was so awesome to meet you both, hope you both having a great time here and find lots of that yellow stuff!! :D

rings...there was a not so subtle hint about "melting" and "rings" if i remember correctly?! lol ;)

-rom

Darren & Myriam

Google Vo-Gus Prospecting and watch a few of his youtube videos. It will give you an idea of what its like in Victoria's North East. Drop us a PM if you are coming this way.

Araluen

rom said:
rings...there was a not so subtle hint about "melting" and "rings" if i remember correctly?! lol ;)

Not subtle at all!!!

It'll happen, we got 8 pieces at 0.7grams total today, smallest being 0.04 grams, I like to remind all that those pieces are closer to weighing NOTHING than weighing even point one of a gram!!! It was fun digging so many targets and cheers Shauno for sharing some knowledge there, we aren't staying long though and just as well as if we did there would be nothing left for the panners!

But back on topic, those scores of uninteresting nuglets with no story behind them, they are the ones going into a crucible with some borax powder. So days like today are the really productive ones.

Myriam, she wants a big heavy nugget though. She's luckier than me so she'll find one for sure.

Was great to meet you guys at Hillend, and good to see your still getting gold. If you are ever down on the South Coast let us know :)

SWright said:
Darren & Myriam

Google Vo-Gus Prospecting and watch a few of his youtube videos. It will give you an idea of what its like in Victoria's North East. Drop us a PM if you are coming this way.

Araluen

I've seen vo-gus before, another bloke I follow on youtube is 'minelab gold' also from vic but he doesn't seem to have posted any new content for a while.

Thank you so much, we'll be in touch when we get around to heading south!

Latest posts