kingower "potato diggings"

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, :)
I am heading to Kingower/Rheola this weekend and am trying to locate the area known as the "potato diggings".
I am aware there were 2 diggings known as the "potato diggings" but I am interested in the one near Kingower/Rheola.

I am thinking it might be around Rigbys rd, but I am not sure exactly. :eek:
If it is the right road or not......... how far along the road is it? :rolleyes:

Also, :D
I am wanting to show my son where the hand of faith was found, but all I know is it is behind the "old school" in the Kingower state forest.
Is there any signage around the area that will direct me to the monument? :8

Any help would be appreciated :) :D

For most part most of Rheola was known as the Potato Diggings, i am pretty certain most is private land.
A few years back i tried to obtain permission to detect private land there, one of the farmers showed me the security officer in charge of the property, which was a loaded firearm. He said they have had significant problems with moonlighters and trespass over the years. Hence no permission granted. The local landowners have a zero tolerance of trespass for prospecting which is totally understandable. I was willing to go 50 / 50 on any gold finds.

The hand of faith monument site should not be too hard to find, i want to go there myself just to see it.

Swinging & digging said:
For most part most of Rheola was known as the Potato Diggings, i am pretty certain most is private land.
A few years back i tried to obtain permission to detect private land there, one of the farmers showed me the security officer in charge of the property, which was a loaded firearm. He said they have had significant problems with moonlighters and trespass over the years. Hence no permission granted. The local landowners have a zero tolerance of trespass for prospecting which is totally understandable. I was willing to go 50 / 50 on any gold finds.

The hand of faith monument site should not be too hard to find, i want to go there myself just to see it.
Hi from bendigo when you come into Kingower on the right is a bq play ground and a old pub
on your left is a dirt rd with a big pepper tree go up the dirt rd about 500 yards the hand off is on your
right it has a monument
hope this helps
Mond

Hi guys.
Thanks for the heads up.
Doesnt surprise me that its mostly private property :mad:
I will still cruise by and have a look anyway since i will be nearby admiring the hand of faith monument.
Thanks again for your help, much appreciated!!

Not too far out of Rheola forget which road, there is a sign in a farmers paddock with mention to it being the discovery site of the famous," Blanche Barkly Nugget" a significant historical large nugget from the early gold rush. A wine buff at work tells me a winery is now named after this nugget. ;)

Swinging & digging said:
Not too far out of Rheola forget which road, there is a sign in a farmers paddock with mention to it being the discovery site of the famous," Blanche Barkly Nugget" a significant historical large nugget from the early gold rush. A wine buff at work tells me a winery is now named after this nugget. ;)

I'd love to know how much gold is locked up underneath vineyards in Kingower. With the proven giant nugget capability of the field, it would potentially have to be thousands of ounces! :eek:

The Kingower / Rheola district is world famous for the amount of large gold nuggets taken from the general area.
Educated logic dictates there must be still some decent nuggets in existence there, depth location unkown, do doubt further finds will be made in the future. ;)

Lots of interesting posts, thanks guys.
I spoke to the guys at coiltek in maryborough about the potato diggings and they didnt mention private property at all.
I was informed that i should head towards kingower from rheola turn right at crossroad and about 2km down the road would be the approx area to go.
So..... I dont know exactly what to expect now.

Thanks again all for the input and i will look out for the monument and get a pic with it!!
Even if its not in the "real" location!!

The Tully book on the area lays out most of what you seek. The HOF location is easy to locate . Its bushy but you are right its not far behind the school site. All easy to find.
Good luck hope you find the other hand of faith !!! Im still looking for the feet !!!

GT :)

If you find the monument site behind the old school house the "actual" site is only about 100 - 120 meters back toward the bitumen road.
There is a stand of smallish gums on the "actual" site.
Standing at the monument & looking back towards the old school house the "actual" site would be about 100 to 120 meters away at about 10 or 11 o'clock from the school.
Rob.

Hotrob said:
If you find the monument site behind the old school house the "actual" site is only about 100 - 120 meters back toward the bitumen road.
There is a stand of smallish gums on the "actual" site.
Standing at the monument & looking back towards the old school house the "actual" site would be about 100 to 120 meters away at about 10 or 11 o'clock from the school.
Rob.

Cheers Rob :)
Your fantastic for sharing!!

I was a bit bummed when Harry Houdini informed me the monument wasnt at the exact spot but not now :D

Spoke to a fellow detector operator over in the west in June, told me he had found a big nugget in Kingower earlier this year, cannot recall whether it was a 3 Oz or 11Oz, buy it was a big effort to dig it out and easily missed. He own's a 5k as well as a Z so cannot recall the find machine. But looks like it still at Kingower/or was.

Peter

Gday all.
Thanks for all the help ;)
I have orders fom the boss, that i am busy till christmas :mad: 8.(
so i will head up and check out the monument on the 26th or 27th of december depending on the heat!! :cool:

madhatter said:
Gday all.
Thanks for all the help ;)
I have orders fom the boss, that i am busy till christmas :mad: 8.(
so i will head up and check out the monument on the 26th or 27th of december depending on the heat!! :cool:

Mate I hate to see somebody stuck like that, I'll pop up there and check it out for you :D

Latest posts