Kelly Kettle

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i have the older style one with the cork in it ,if you forgot to pull the cork things got pretty bloody ordinary in a hurry, i think the new ones have a whistle bung in it
good bit of gear mabasko, sticks twigs leaves all will bring it to the boil and they take up buggerall room
the main thing with them is make sure the fuel is burning well before putting the kettle on ,and you can drop more fuel in and that keeps them going after that

These gadgets work brilliantly, as so much of the heat from the small fire at the base is concentrated within the kettle by the design. The fire is also sheltered from wind, so it's amazing how little fuel is needed and how quickly water comes to the boil.

We had the Aussie Bush Kettle and loved it. It went missing from the basket in the front of the quad while parked having lunch at the Nullagine pub. We saw the kids hanging around when we parked but too no notice. We haven't managed to find another one since the Australia wide shortage of many things :confused:

Not looking at replacing a campfire. More a cuppa etc. on the run while out detecting Jaros.
They're ideal for that, because they're so easy to light, so fast to boil and afterwards there's only a small amount of embers to be thoroughly doused before getting back to work or moving on to another location.

The SSAA have what they call a bush kettle. Same principle as the Kelly Kettle. It has 3 litre capacity and sells for around $85 I think. Takes about 10 minutes to boil using sticks leaves etc.
I've not used one myself, but a mate who happened to be a Manual Ats teacher made one out of a large tin can. Being a loner, he made one that heated just enough boiling water for one cup. When we pulled up he would pour in water, scratch up some twigs and dry leaves and be drinking his cuppa while other people were still getting out of their vehicles and having a stretch.

They’re really great. Simple & quick. Couldn’t recommend them enough.

‘Gotta admit though, that lately my go-to cuppa maker is a Jetboil Flash. Yes, it needs a fuel canister, but it’s crazy fast, self contained and far more bushfire friendly. I’ll typically use it in the back of my ute, (well away from anything that’ll burn) and feel much happier when I’m in thick dry bush. Also let’s me cook my brekky & dinner.
I suspect my car’s exhaust DPF is probably more likely to start a fire than my cuppa or dinner cooking choice.

I've shown this before but some might not have seen it.

Kelly.jpg

It's probably best to buy stainless steel because this is what happens if you let them lying about in the weather for a 100 years or so.

Kelly2.jpg

This one is built like a steam boiler inside.

Latest posts