Just joined

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all.
Lost job after recent opp,forced retirement. So looking for a hobby that gets me outdoors and moving around. Done a bit of panning years ago (Vic). Just bought an exterra 705, I have read that it is possibly only a toy, but it is light and will get me out and about.
Interested in old Landy's as well, hence the username.

Hey Landie 71, welcome to PA, it's a great forum. I'm also a Landy man, 2004 110 defender is my pride and joy.

landy71 said:
Hi all.
Lost job after recent opp,forced retirement. So looking for a hobby that gets me outdoors and moving around. Done a bit of panning years ago (Vic). Just bought an exterra 705, I have read that it is possibly only a toy, but it is light and will get me out and about.
Interested in old Landy's as well, hence the username.

Gday landy71,
I see that you took my advice yesterday and joined the best forum.
Yes you guessed it correctly it's me Steve who you met in the bush.
Great to have you aboard mate.
When I'm free I will pm you to arrange a detector date with you and your wife.
All the best.
Cheers Steve :D

Hi Steve,
Great advice, enjoying the site, picked up some points already. Look forward to a day out, I don;t have access to PM's yet (have to have 10 postings I think).
Hope you found a camp site!!
Regards Andy.

landy71 said:
Hi Steve,
Great advice, enjoying the site, picked up some points already. Look forward to a day out, I don;t have access to PM's yet (have to have 10 postings I think).
Hope you found a camp site!!
Regards Andy.

Glad you have joined Andy and that you've already got some benefit.
We didn't find a suitable future camp site yet but I already have a few good spots anyway.
When you have reached your ten posts, I will pm you and arrange an outing with yourself and Janet.
Cheers Steve

Welcome to the forum Landy71,

You will find some fantastic people in here and info. All the best mate.

Regards

Lambi

Welcome to the forum Landy71 and wife, cant wait to hear some starting stories. and your finds.

Cheers Margaret

Thanks for the welcomes. I have enjoyed the forum, particularly reading about places members go to near where I have have lived (around central vic). Went out yesterday, found an old miners pick head, very rusted and mostly worn away. Lots of square shank nails etc. The day goes fast when you are getting a few signals.
Andy.

Grandson picked up a 1867 threepence, lying on the road surface (gravel road), didn't even need the detector!! Beats all my nails and other junk. One side is quite good, the other is heavily marked, probably ran over by a grader!! Who needs a detector when you have young eyes.

Welcome to PA landy. I bumped into a bloke and his wife at avoca on the weekend who had a 705 and was new to it all as well. There's plenty of info on here for us newbs to learn. Enjoy!

Hi WALSHIE,
Thanks for the reply. I see you are into bikes, I also have an old DT3 (VMX), and an XT550 on club plates. Friend of mine has a KTM. Rode through Avoca at the weekend, up to the old vehicle display at Natti Yallock, it was quite a good exhibition. (Played cricket at Natti 35 years ago).
Andy

Hi Landy,
I'm pretty new to the forum too, and as you might see from my avatar, I have caught the Land Rover disease too :)
I currently run an '08 puma, but have an itch to add an oldie to the stable, a project I can get really carried away with!
Welcome to the forum :)

HEY!! Found my first coin, a very badly corroded halfpenny, can't read the date, but after researching the other face, it is an English halfpenny, and they were minted from 1902 until 1910. (Along with heaps of ring pulls and a bullet nose, about .303 size.
May try back there again tomorrow.
Hi Smokey Stu, was that pic taken on Lake Frome??
Andy

Hi Andy,
It was on Lake Johnston, WA.
Proof that a shortcut is the longest distance between two points, lol. It took me about four hours of digging and jacking in midsummer heat to get her out.
Can't say it was one of my wiser decisions, but made for a good yarn when I got to Perth:)

Went to Talbot market today, took the 705. Did a half hour searching on the way home. Found a stack of old square nails!!!
At least it kept me entertained.

Latest posts