Just about to start

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Everybody
I am after a little advice. I love the outdoors, Aussie bush and Australia's gold history. I have been doing a lot of research on detectors and how to find gold and am about ready to buy some gear. Firstly I am interested for the experience and under no illusion that as a hobby this most likely wont end up making me filthy rich or retire early. One thing I have learned is that I am not going to do too well by spending as little as possible. I am trying to justify spending a decent amount of money and would like to know how much I should spend for good benefit.

Here is where I am so far. I live a short distance (about 45 min) from Victoria's golden triangle. I am planning on spending 1 day a week to 1 day a fortnight prospecting. I have read a lot about how and where to find gold. I am looking at 2 options from minelabs, the GPX 5000 (about $6k to get started) and the GPZ 7000 (about $10k to get started). Mostly, as I am married, trying to justify the cost to my wife. Obviously the GPZ is much better but here is what I want to know.
Given what I have said, and just going off a very rough average, how long do you think it would take to recuperate the cost of purchasing either of these. I know there is a lot of luck and am not counting on any lucky big finds, just and average of what people find with these machines over time.

I am aware that this is a difficult question and similar to the "how long is a piece of string" question but I would just be after personal experience.

Thank you

Maybe a minelab training day will help your decision, also the sd2300 seems like a winner, maybe worth a look into also ;)

G'day Bowman,
I was where u are - about 4 months ago.

Firstly its a lot of fun - always something interesting happening.

Secondly, it's not easy finding a spot where 235 other detectors haven't been before you.

So with petrol and other costs if you are doing it to make money u might be disappointed.

I started with a 2300 but it limits you to shallow/surface smaller bits - and even those are hard to find.

My next strategy is a second hand 5000 or 4500.

If u can afford it then the 7000 is obviously a great machine - but if u decide its not for u then its an expensive exercise.

Maybe promise the missus some gold nugget jewellery with the first bits!!!

Good luck anyway

You could also look at purchasing a second hand detector for less than the prices you've quoted. I picked up a second hand Gpx 5000 in great condition plus extras from Minersden in bendigo for a great price.
In regards to finding gold...it took me about two months to find my first piece the size of a tic tac. Theres so much more than just waving the detector over the ground....and once you start the only way is up. :)

Bowman detecting is a great hobby just remember to take your time on the choice of detector you end up with .There are many detecting clubs around some have detectors they hire out to club members even if you hire one from a shop it may help to make up your mind but if you have not used one before you may wonder what am I doing . Clubs are great they can teach you plus on outings you can get to know where to look for gold regards john :)

Luck has nothing at all to do with detecting gold consistently. Patience, perseverance etc etc are what`s needed and a sort of arrogance, a belief or a faith that with time you`ll get amongst it. That is 80% of what is needed the other 20% is the detector and your ability to use it. Forget research, everyone has been doing that for yonks, just move out into the fringes of the nearest gold field to you.

I was told this 30 plus years ago, when I asked the old fella where the yellow was he pointed his arm out and did a 360, he was just having a lend of me I believed then. Now I pass it on, he wasn`t having a lend of me.

Bowman said:
Hi Everybody
I am after a little advice. I love the outdoors, Aussie bush and Australia's gold history. I have been doing a lot of research on detectors and how to find gold and am about ready to buy some gear. Firstly I am interested for the experience and under no illusion that as a hobby this most likely wont end up making me filthy rich or retire early. One thing I have learned is that I am not going to do too well by spending as little as possible. I am trying to justify spending a decent amount of money and would like to know how much I should spend for good benefit.

Here is where I am so far. I live a short distance (about 45 min) from Victoria's golden triangle. I am planning on spending 1 day a week to 1 day a fortnight prospecting. I have read a lot about how and where to find gold. I am looking at 2 options from minelabs, the GPX 5000 (about $6k to get started) and the GPZ 7000 (about $10k to get started). Mostly, as I am married, trying to justify the cost to my wife. Obviously the GPZ is much better but here is what I want to know.
Given what I have said, and just going off a very rough average, how long do you think it would take to recuperate the cost of purchasing either of these. I know there is a lot of luck and am not counting on any lucky big finds, just and average of what people find with these machines over time.

I am aware that this is a difficult question and similar to the "how long is a piece of string" question but I would just be after personal experience.

Thank you

In Victoria unless you are real lucky it will be a number of years before you pay off the GPZ.
;)

Hi All
Thank you for all the comments. Especially the link from Jaros. was very informative. I was a little suprised by the last comment. I thought Victoria was the best place to look. But thats why I asked here, to get true, honest opinions. Might have to re look at things. I am very keen but it all seems a bit of a conundrum. From all I have learned the GPZ offers the best chance of finding gold due to the extra depth. Obviously the more you spend the more you can find but the more you are putting on the line. I have a family so I can't just spend a fortune for the fun of it. I can spend the money if it is a hobby that can pay for itself but doesn't sound too promising in the higher range.
Can anybody advise what would be the lower end to spend to have a reasonable chance of finding gold. Or would I be better off starting under $1k and treasure hunting?

Victoria has lots of active prospectors so the ground has been well searched and gold yields diminish over time.
I have a GPZ and only recovered 7 grams of gold this year and spend hours in the goldfields.

I you are taking up this hobby to profit you will most likely be disappointed for the most part operating expenses and equipment purchases far exceed the outlay.
People that stay with the hobby get more out of spending time in the bush etc than financial windfall.

HI Bowman,

My lovely wife bought us a SDC2300 a few months ago and we found about 7 gms up at Western Creek in FNQ on our first trip, it was a good start. We went out to a local cattle station a couple of hours drive from Townsville today and detected for about 6 hours and all we found was about 100 pieces of Frag from military explosive ordnance and a few small arms projectiles :( . It was though a good day out in the australian outback having a go, no phone, no traffic no worries :) . We love just getting away from the plastic life that people get used to in suburbia. AND THAT IS WHAT MOST OF US ENJOY. FINDING SOME YELLOW IS JUST A BONUS.

Cheers

Doug

Hi Bowman
Unless you were very lucky, and based on my personal experience of detecting for just on one year now with a GPX4500, it will take many years to pay off your detector. However I do know of people that have bought a SDC who with excellent skill and a lot of regular time detecting have paid of their machine in a year or so. However that is about a third the cost of a GPZ.
I agree with those above that if you are expecting to find a lot of valuable gold you most likely will be very disappointed. To most of us it's the enjoyment of getting out there that motivates us. Of course we all dream of the retirement nugget.
Good luck with what you decide to do. I'm hooked.
Cheers Dignit :)

Sounds like you would be better off either buying one of the used Minelab SD / GD / GPX Series machines or even one of the Whites TDI Series,

But If this is all new to you then I would be looking at a good multi-purpose machine, Something like The Whites MXT Pro or MXT All Pro or the Nokta Relic, they will handle 90% of the Dirt in OZ and while you can't get out to the Gold Fields you can Hunt the Beaches and Parks for Gold Jewellery and Coins etc, Multi purpose machines are good because while the nuggets are thin on the ground they keep you finding good finds in the off season or if you just want to get out for a couple of hours,

Personally I would be buying a new multi purpose machine and buy a Good second hand GP / GPX machine then you have all bases covered, and also while you are out on the Gold fields the Mrs can use the multi purpose machine and make her own finds,

OR, If you are a kind hearted softy you could let her do all the Digging, Just so she doesn't feel left out, :eek: :eek: :mad: :mad:

John. :lol: :lol: :D :D

Chasing gold is like fishing, the further you travel the more you go over what you chase. But the trip is worth miles more then the catch.

Hi Bowman, another idea you could look at would be the ML 3500. They do not have all the extra settings of the later detectors but they are still a very good gold detector. I started with a 2nd. hand 3500 and used it for many years before updating to a 5000. I honestly believe that most nuggets I have found with the 5000 I could have picked up with the 3500. I should add that this was prospecting in the Pilbara region of WA that has not seen as much activity as the GT. The 3500 is an easy detector to use if you follow the instructions. As everyone else says for most detectorists it will always remain a hobby, a good reason to get out in the bush and back to nature and if you are lucky enough to find some gold that is the icing on the cake. Cheers Randolph

Latest posts