Is This Worth Detecting?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Found a creek that looks like it was heavily worked, its really close to me as well which is good. What do you reckon? How do I know if it contained nuggets or fine gold?

1558667831_b3tufgn.jpg

old hand said:
There may be gold their ,but where does all the rubbish go into the creeks normally dig deep holes for trash regards john :perfect:

So true old hand! And I wish I had have read such advice before I started out in the hobby last year. I spent a whole afternoon once in Dunolly while on holiday detecting a branch of a dried up creek bed. Every type of junk metal seems to end up in them, and I found them all- Lead, tin/Steel, Copper, Brass :lol:

It might also be worth checking that it isn't on the exempted waterways list VicGoldHunter. I did a search before I checked out the creek bed because even some dried up ones are listed on it.

Tathradj said:
If it is on the exempt list,
It will contain Gold. :awful:

One can only hope that one day those little nuggies or their flypoo offspring will flow down to somewhere more usefull to us detectorists, panners and sluice owners :p

HaHa, I know a group of Prospectors that named a location online.
Before doing so they had those Game cameras monitoring the site for a month and only a few prospectors passed by.
After naming the spot online traffic increased by about 500% in the first few days before dropping of to around 325%
for the remainder of the month.

The best part was it was a pretty crappy gold baron location.

VicGoldHunter said:
Found a creek that looks like it was heavily worked, its really close to me as well which is good. What do you reckon? How do I know if it contained nuggets or fine gold?

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1122/1558667831_b3tufgn.jpg

Research it and let us know how you go, don't forget to check if it's ON THE LIST. Do this before you scratch any ground. Did you follow up with research on Redfin's post in your Disappointment thread, it'd be good to hear your feedback.

I have kinda learnt now that there seems to be 2 basic types of gold hunters:
1. The first ones drive around, see interesting looking ground and get out of the car to have a go.
2. The second type painstakingly research areas by studying maps, studying old mining reports, chasing drill hole results etc and end up with a google earth full of pinpointed areas.

When I moved from type 1 to type 2, I started to find gold :)

Im new to detecting but i have started at kinswoods #2. Some of the most important info to research can be as difficult to find as your first bit of gold. People can be a little blunt with their constructive criticisms but a little assistance by pointing to relevant info can not only assist the OP but others who may read it, new or others who have been at it for awhile. Rocks to look out for for existence. Sure rocks that are present around worked ground found elsewhere can present ground worth considering in the right locations. But other associated rocks and those that present problems. Pictures so we know what we are looking at for instance is proving difficult to find. Im not saying its not there but difficult to locate. Proper detector use is another. A member from another forum provided me with some reading that was simply amazing as to what it took to operate a detector properly. Another provided me a pin drop overlay for Google Earth. Simply brilliant.

Remember, the OP is researching by presenting the post in first place. If we provide some info and its not put to good use well.........

Aussiedigs said:
Im new to detecting but i have started at kinswoods #2. Some of the most important info to research can be as difficult to find as your first bit of gold. People can be a little blunt with their constructive criticisms but a little assistance by pointing to relevant info can not only assist the OP but others who may read it, new or others who have been at it for awhile. Rocks to look out for for existence. Sure rocks that are present around worked ground found elsewhere can present ground worth considering in the right locations. But other associated rocks and those that present problems. Pictures so we know what we are looking at for instance is proving difficult to find. Im not saying its not there but difficult to locate. Proper detector use is another. A member from another forum provided me with some reading that was simply amazing as to what it took to operate a detector properly. Another provided me a pin drop overlay for Google Earth. Simply brilliant.

Remember, the OP is researching by presenting the post in first place. If we provide some info and its not put to good use well.........

You are quite right Aussiedigs, research does pay off and comes in many forms. Whether it's using google to search through old trove archives or mindata or any historic gold mining info will all help the operator. There are also a couple of threads by "loamer" and "Minelab Gold" in this section that will also help.

While most members on this forum like to help newbies to point them in the right direction there are also the ones that don't want to help as they think that the newbies just want the easy way out or they are scared that the newby will steal their secret patch and gold. They forget that they were like that at yhe beginning.

So for any newbies out there, keep doing your research and ask your questions if you need extra info or help. Don't be put off by the negative comments like some of the above.

Happy prospecting

Cheers

Doug

Rockhunter62 said:
Aussiedigs said:

You are quite right Aussiedigs, research does pay off and comes in many forms. Whether it's using google to search through old trove archives or mindata or any historic gold mining info will all help the operator. There are also a couple of threads by "loamer" and "Minelab Gold" in this section that will also help.

While most members on this forum like to help newbies to point them in the right direction there are also the ones that don't want to help as they think that the newbies just want the easy way out or they are scared that the newby will steal their secret patch and gold. They forget that they were like that at yhe beginning.

So for any newbies out there, keep doing your research and ask your questions if you need extra info or help. Don't be put off by the negative comments like some of the above.

Happy prospecting

Cheers

Doug

Onya Doug.

Yep, there certainly are the lazy ones who would like you to swing their blipper also if they could swing it! I get that. Ive seen it in other forums and im usually the one asking them what research have you done prior!

Loamer and Minelab Gold? Beauty!

Al.

Latest posts